Apple may surprise with late-2011 MacBook Pro refresh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm loving my late 2009 quad i7 iMac, but I'm holding out for an iMac that uses the MBA-style SSD setup. I really think that is where Apple is going to go. TB external drives and internal SSD drives ala MBA. That will make for super-thin iMacs and only the CPU/GPU will be the last things to deal with heat dissipation.

My current iMac has Lion on it. Sure it's not "built" for Lion, but it seems pretty solid. Are you thinking there's a problem with upgraded macs vs. mac's coming out of factory pre-installed with Lion?

My 6-week old MBA came with Lion installed and it still is a little quirky.

Drool. I like your thinking.

Guess I was thinking more in terms of the inputting. Maybe even some touchscreen capability, but I'm not convinced that's a good thing in a desktop machine. I want them to amaze me with something very new, very fresh, that makes gesture magic more integrated into the desktop experience without giving you tired arms. If I knew what would scratch my itch I'd be Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ernstcs View Post

Refresh the Mac Pro design already...

Don't refresh the MBP and force me to use Lion...ugh...you need to fix Lion first.

Mac Pros are dead - just wait and see
  • Reply 23 of 135
    Anyone think USB 3.0 will be in the mix on this one?
  • Reply 24 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

For what purpose?

What's "broken"?

Lion server has so many problems with it - it is almost as bad as FCP - except they have the functionality - it just doesn't work right
  • Reply 25 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

AI is running out of rumors to write about so now we get speculation. If correct you will read about accuracy of reporting. If not correct you'll never read another work about a MBP by year's end.

50/50 guess. An equally good a chance to be right or wrong.

I'm outta here.

Hit the nail on the head
  • Reply 26 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

I may try again when 10.7.5 or .6 arrives.

Don't bother. You obviously don't give a crap about Lion, so just buy a Windows 8 machine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntson View Post

Two more years.

Quote:

Lion server has so many problems with it

"My car has problems."

"What's wrong with it?"

"It has problems."

• Reply 27 of 135
    I want a new case design....
  • Reply 28 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

I LOVE my Early 2011 13" MBP 2.3GHZ - it is the fastest laptop I have ever owned and the quality of construction is unsurpassed. Yes there was a moment where the new 13" MBA with the i5 processor was calling my name - but for $200 I can get 8GB memory and a 120GB SSD - That is the way I'm going before I trade up or sideways or whatever.... If you have a chance to pick one up - go for it - I got mine at Microcenter for $999 - I don't know if they have the same deal - So, until they radically change the MBP - I am a happy hoser.

Now I no the subject is MacBooks but this kinda applies across the line. I purchased an iMac (2011) that was maxed out at 3.4, 8G RAM (2@4ea), 6970 Radeon with 2048, a 1TB internal and a 256 SSD, etc?

What I am wondering is how people are optimizing the use between the SSD and the HD. My first approach was to make sure all applications are on the SSD and all my data and another archives etc are on the HD. Seem reasonable but as I am a developer with 1.6 million files total I wonder if there is a better way to split that. I hit a bunch of the tiny files on the hard drive when doing various builds and although the vast majority never get erased (except for when Apple is send out new SDK one after another).

Is anyone aware of strategies for dividing my mass storage to get the best performance and also a good long life out of the SSD which I have no desire to replace long before anything else is going bad.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Feel free to email me directly .

I would thing whatever is learned would tend to apply to laptops, all-in-ones, and pros, as long as they have a combo HD/SSD setup.
  • Reply 29 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't bother. You obviously don't give a crap about Lion, so just buy a Windows 8 machine.

Or just stick with 10.6.8, which a lot of people are doing until 10.7.2 is officially rolled out. Lion was a sack of garbage for me until this latest build of 10.7.2. I'm thrilled that it's been sunshine, unicorns and skittles for other people, but guess what: I don't give two sh*ts about other peoples' laptops when my own is constantly stuck in a crash/reboot cycle anytime I try to run an app it doesn't like. Yes, I'm aware that a large part of this is due to the apps themselves not being properly updated for Lion, but I seem to recall the media and the Apple community giving Vista 8 different kinds of hell for crashes that were mostly due to 3rd party drivers and not the OS itself.

Being a developer for both platforms, I can tell you with all honesty and experience that both can be a nightmare to work with at times, but I beta'd the hell out of my two apps on Lion DP4 before it went GM, and transitioning from Leopard to Snow Leopard was a breeze compared to SL to Lion. I have every confidence in their developers, and like I said, the latest build of 10.7.2 seems to have cured a lot of issues I've had, but disparaging others for holding off on upgrading until those bugs have been worked out is both arrogant and pathetic. I'm sorry that you can't deal with others not having the blissful relationship with a product you seem to, but get over yourself.
  • Reply 30 of 135
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Or just stick with 10.6.8, which a lot of people are doing until 10.7.2 is officially rolled out. Lion was a sack of garbage for me until this latest build of 10.7.2.

You know.... if you look back at at the 10.X.1 releases, they've all been quite buggy. Some have just shaped up faster than others. Even if they were released with minimal bugginess, it's still not a guarantee that every bit of software you need will be updated on the day it launches.

Regarding the 2.5 vs 2.7 listed a little earlier in the thread, anyone know if there's anything special about the top one or if it's just clocked marginally higher? It seems like a big price difference if the clock speed is the only difference.
  • Reply 31 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While precise timing for the update may change, those same people say the Mac maker currently anticipates an introduction of the refreshed line before the end of the month, possible following the close of the company's Back-to-School promotion, which ends on September 20th.

Your typo of the day...
  • Reply 32 of 135
    I have sources too. My sources actually are saying more like November though... Lets see which is right (if any!).
  • Reply 33 of 135
    Quote:

Joke.
  • Reply 34 of 135
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Consider:
    1. RAM prices falling like a rock.

2. Intel has new processors that supersede the current ones.

3. HD makers have introduced new tech lowering the number of platters in a disk drive for a given storage volume. This means either cheaper storage or more storage.

4. The display industry is getting ready for retina resolution monitors.

5. Battery technology continues to improve at a modest rate.

6. Momentum!!! Even a minor bump can help Apple keep that momentum going.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

AI is running out of rumors to write about so now we get speculation. If correct you will read about accuracy of reporting. If not correct you'll never read another work about a MBP by year's end.

You must be a Democrat, you confuse rumors with news. Apple insider is clearly reporting a rumor here.

Quote:

50/50 guess. An equally good a chance to be right or wrong.

I'm outta here.

Garbage! An educated evaluation of the info we have would tip those percentages far closer to an update in the next two months.
  • Reply 35 of 135
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

This would not be much of a bump, but the current MBP's would drop in price by at least a couple of hundred dollars. making them an excellent deal.

Also, there is $500 price difference between the 2.5 Quad i7 and the 2.7 Quad i7. I doubt if Apple will offer the 2.7 as a BTO upgrade.

Why would they drop in price by $200? These chips seem to be the exact same price.

The 2.7GHz as you say is $500 more expensive as it's an extreme model, which Apple doesn't use.

They can drop the price by $100 by throwing out the optical drive and offering a 13" model with a dedicated GPU. I don't expect a chassis redesign before Ivy Bridge, which is meant to cut the CPU TDP in half.
  • Reply 36 of 135
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I strongly believe Apple will do what they did with the Air last year and this year: release a great new design with existing chips only to update it a few months later with state of the art chips.

It all adds up:

1. new 15" Macbook Air spotted this Summer (which is actually the new 15" Macbook Pro)

2. a modest upgrade of the intel chips

3. the start of the holiday season

It would be a fitting tribute to Steve Jobs who might not be around this time next year ?
  • Reply 37 of 135
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I strongly believe Apple will do what they did with the Air last year and this year: release a great new design with existing chips only to update it a few months later with state of the art chips.

It all adds up:

1. new 15" Macbook Air spotted this Summer (which is actually the new 15" Macbook Pro)

2. a modest upgrade of the intel chips

3. the start of the holiday season

It would be a fitting tribute to Steve Jobs who might not be around this time next year ?

Hopefully they keep the backlit keyboard
  • Reply 38 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I really hope they improve the heat patterns. When I use skype, it sounds like the laptop is about to take off.

Then ask Microsoft Skype to fix their absurdly CPU-intensive software?
  • Reply 39 of 135
    How is that a surprise if you talk about it? Apple should burn AI writers in sharp chilli-powdered sticks for this...
  • Reply 40 of 135
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I wonder if they'll manage to silently fix the SATA3 issue on these machines?

It would be nice to be able to use a third-party SSD on their top-of-the-range £2,099 laptop.