Former Samsung manager testifies to leaking iPad info to hedge fund

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I am not dyslexic

Perhaps not, but there's clearly an element of irony in your sophomoric comment that escapes you. I would explain it to you, but is that the bell I hear? Recess is over. Time to return to your JK class.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, it happens - even though it's illegal. Furthermore, it probably puts Samsung in violation of the NDA they signed with Apple.

The other factor here - if Samsung's panel division is sharing information with hedge funds, does anyone doubt that the other Samsung divisions (read: tablet division) were also getting inside information about Apple products? That is a huge no-no and could cost Samsung a fortune - either in lawsuits or in Apple pulling even more business away from Samsung. Why should Apple trust a company which has been proven to be untrustworthy?

Heck, just today there was a news story about a different South Korean company which pulled a stunt on trade secrets - and cost them nearly a billion dollars:

http://www.processingmagazine.com/news/9/2011/2427/DuPont-awarded-$920-million-in-trade-secrets-lawsuit

Well, this is the sweet irony of the mobile space. No one can be truly independent. If you're not purchasing someone else's component, you are probably licensing their IP. All signs suggest that Samsung is making more profits making displays and flash memory for Apple than they are making tablets. Yet they keep churning out tablets - 7", 8.5", 10" ...

So, if Apple completely cuts off Samsung as a supplier, will that solve the problem? No, because LG, the other panel maker, also makes smartphones and tablets. Sure there are component suppliers without current aspirations in making the final product. But if you turn to them for all your component needs, who is to say you are not creating the next Acer?
  • Reply 23 of 38
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Perhaps not, but there's clearly an element of irony in your sophomoric comment that escapes you. I would explain it to you, but is that the bell I hear? Recess is over. Time to return to your JK class.

Good catch. Consider the possibility that it is intentional and that some people find ironic juxtapositions humorous.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Good catch. Consider the possibility that it is intentional and that some people find ironic juxtapositions humorous.

If it is well done, sure it can be funny. Except what you did is not even considered ironic juxtaposition.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Well, this is the sweet irony of the mobile space. No one can be truly independent. If you're not purchasing someone else's component, you are probably licensing their IP. All signs suggest that Samsung is making more profits making displays and flash memory for Apple than they are making tablets. Yet they keep churning out tablets - 7", 8.5", 10" ...

So, if Apple completely cuts off Samsung as a supplier, will that solve the problem? No, because LG, the other panel maker, also makes smartphones and tablets. Sure there are component suppliers without current aspirations in making the final product. But if you turn to them for all your component needs, who is to say you are not creating the next Acer?

The difference is that some companies can be trusted to keep secret information in the division that is supposed to have it rather than disseminating it far and wide. Samsung is obviously not one of those companies.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Hello Samsung, your coffin is ready! Please step inside and we will begin hammering in the nails.

One employee, acting on their own behalf =/= Samsung doing anything wrong.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Quote:

If it is well done, sure it can be funny. Except what you did is not even considered ironic juxtaposition.

You claimed my comment contained an element of irony. The juxtaposition was me appearing to defend myself against one insult (being dyslexic) while deliberately not defending myself against the other insult (being childish), thereby tacitly confessing to be childish. This is a very old format of joke, which many people will recognize quickly. I'm sorry you didn't think it was well done or funny, but it isn't like you paid good money to hear a comedian. I should warn you that future posts from me will probably contain humor of a similar skill level, so if you think it is going to upset you, the best thing for you to do is probably to add me to your ignore list.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The difference is that some companies can be trusted to keep secret information in the division that is supposed to have it rather than disseminating it far and wide. Samsung is obviously not one of those companies.

The company didn't leak the info, one employee did. Just like Apple didn't lose an iPhone prototype in a bar (twice) an Apple employee did.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Though I?ve given up on the possibility of public lynchings, I do still contend that public spankings could help to issue some second sober thought by the likes of Mr. Hwang.

I see it now. Hwang stepping up to the Public Spanker in front of the judge?s bench. He pulls down his pants and postures himself over the Public Spanker?s knee. With grand ceremony, the PS begins to bring a moderate size board down upon Mr Hwang?s behind for the number of strokes invoked by said judge.

Once finished, solemnly, the court adjourns.

* Though filming of trials are not allowed in my country, I should hope an exception be made in cases such as this.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Though I?ve given up on the possibility of public lynchings, I do still contend that public spankings could help to issue some second sober thought by the likes of Mr. Hwang.

I see it now. Hwang stepping up to the Public Spanker in front of the judge?s bench. He pulls down his pants and postures himself over the Public Spanker?s knee. With grand ceremony, the PS begins to bring a moderate size board down upon Mr Hwang?s behind for the number of strokes invoked by said judge.

* Though filming of trials are not allowed in my country, I should hope an exception be made in cases such as this.

hey now...I understand different strokes for different folks, and I truly will fight for your right to enjoy what you wish...but keep your sexual fetishes off these forums please \
  • Reply 31 of 38
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Artist's renderings would certainly suffice in lieu of actual video.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Artist's renderings would certainly suffice in lieu of actual video.

OK. If it must be so.

I'm all for compromise.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    I know one of the main principals involved in the case. Although he has no one to blame but himself, he has two very young kids.

From what I can tell, unlike most Wall Street criminals, he has not profited much for his family to survive if he's found guilty and gets a sentence close to the maximum.

Considering every one of 50 or so in similar cases have either pleaded guilty or been found guilty, and prosecutors want to make an example out of him, sadly, that seems highly likely.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I know one of the main principals involved in the case. Although he has no one to blame but himself, he has two very young kids.

From what I can tell, unlike most Wall Street criminals, he has not profited much for his family to survive if he's found guilty and gets a sentence close to the maximum.

Considering every one of 50 or so in similar cases have either pleaded guilty or been found guilty, and prosecutors want to make an example out of him, sadly, that seems highly likely.

hey, you rob a bank for 200 bucks with a note they throw the book at you...you bankrupt America? You get bailed out and get a bonus...

good ol' justice. Blind yet greedy.
  • Reply 35 of 38

No, I'm not in CA but this; they were having lunch in Mountain View, CA and an Apple employees was thought to have heard the conversation. That's Apple ninja working secretively in nearby Google HQ for you.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

No, I'm not in CA but this; they were having lunch in Mountain View, CA and an Apple employees was thought to have heard the conversation. That's Apple ninja working secretively in nearby Google HQ for you.

Google?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    How about Google's purchase of Motorola Mobility? They offered a 45% premium, but the stock price went up that amount 3 days before the announcement. Insider trading is a daily occurrence on wall street and nothing ever happens.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

How about Google's purchase of Motorola Mobility? They offered a 45% premium, but the stock price went up that amount 3 days before the announcement. Insider trading is a daily occurrence on wall street and nothing ever happens.

You got your facts wrong, the day of the announcement the stock went up from ~$24 to ~$38. The deal was done in a week (unlike most deals where it months before the announcement) so there was not much opportunity for anyone to try and take advantage of it even if knowledge was leaking out. The increase coming the week prior ( ~$21 to ~$24) were due to market going up anyway. Mot Stock been trading around $24 for months so that was normal, plus look at the volumes nothing unusual there either.

Anyway, there has been rumors for months prior that Google maybe looking to buy a cellphone company. On the rumor list was RIM and Nokia. I can tell you I bought stocks on the buy out rumors in the past some paid off and others did not. If you look at RIM stock during this time it was going up even when they gave earning warning so people were trading on buyout speculation.