Adobe keynote coincides with Apple's 'Let's talk iPhone' event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Much as people express their dislike for Adobe's dev tools I ha e never been able to do without DW and PS. They are both hugely overpriced and have become total overkill I that I use less and less of their features, but I still need them frequently. Specially PS. Never found a usable alternative.

Are you kidding me? Dreamweaver is a big fat fail. Textmate, Coda, Komodo, Cappuccino and VIM work just fine and without all of the overhead that DW has associated with it. It's a ram hog and it's slow and crashes a lot. I need something fast and quick. DW only has like a couple of features that I would even want but the features aren't used often enough for them to matter at all. I use VIM, Textmate and Coda almost exclusively now with VIM being my favorite.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    I guess not many people will show up at the Apple event because they'll all be heading to the Adobe event. I hear CEO Narayen delivers a great speech about the amazing powers of Flash.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    The headline should be reverted to..

Adobe "PowerPoint presentation" coincides with Apple's 'Let's talk iPhone' event
  • Reply 24 of 59
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

why stoop?

this is the first that i've heard of the adobe event—anywhere. i'm sure they're attempting to steal some of apple's thunder, but even if they're announcing a new product, it's quite pale to the attention apple has gotten everywhere—for several months, now.

honestly, there really is nothing to see here.

Nope. This article is a bit misleading as it paints a picture that Adobe might be deliberately trying to time their event the same as Apple's. The fact is that Adobe MAX is held around the same date every year and the keynotes are similar times. Adobe MAX 2009 was held on October 4th as well. Also, Adobe announced their date first. I can find an announcement on August 11th about this event:

http://blogs.adobe.com/infiniteresol...-max-2011.html

I don't think Adobe was expecting Apple to change their usual July announcement to coincide with Adobe's usual October dates.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Are you kidding me? Dreamweaver is a big fat fail. Textmate, Coda, Komodo, Cappuccino and VIM work just fine and without all of the overhead that DW has associated with it. It's a ram hog and it's slow and crashes a lot. I need something fast and quick. DW only has like a couple of features that I would even want but the features aren't used often enough for them to matter at all. I use VIM, Textmate and Coda almost exclusively now with VIM being my favorite.

Umm, and how many people use VIM compared to DW to create websites? Yeah, thought so. Anyone who thinks DW isn't a big fat success is delusional. I'm not saying DW is any good, just that it's a success. Heck, there are probably more DW users who don't know what VIM is, as there are VIM users creating websites.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Nope. This article is a bit misleading as it paints a picture that Adobe might be deliberately trying to time their event the same as Apple's.

Yup, pretty much.

Either AI haven't done their homework or they are just trying to create controversy out of...well, nothing.

Considering it only takes a 5 sec Google search to find out the truth, it's probably the latter.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Cmon guys, I think we should get behind Adobe, and forego the Apple event. After all, 80% of users using Adobe products said they would upgrade to the next version, whereas only 40% of iphone users would upgrade to the next version. I've only been waiting 3 years with my 3G phone, to upgrade. Why should I be so greedy to go up to current technology....Yep...Adobe here I come....Apple take a back seat for once, will ya!

Yea, right.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    There truly is no end to these companies' acting like children on the playground.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Much as people express their dislike for Adobe's dev tools I ha e never been able to do without DW and PS. They are both hugely overpriced and have become total overkill I that I use less and less of their features, but I still need them frequently. Specially PS. Never found a usable alternative.

Is that ever a true statement. Why of why has someone, even Apple not come up with viable alternatives to fundamental DTP software be it web or print. Back in the day at least we had some such as Freehand v Illustrator, Quark v PageMaker and so on. I know many will chime in about low end alttatives to PS but in truth for the professional there is not really anything that compares. I also agree Adobe has followed MS into creating bloatware and a cluttred mess. I hope the resurgence of the Mac will inspire some company out there or perhaps Apple themselves but the move from pro to prosumer applications prevalent at Apple doesn't bode well for that aspiration.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Adobe is getting into the smartphone game.

They're releasing the DobePhone. Its OS? ENTIRELY Flash-based. Its web browser? Doesn't even render HTML, only Flash.

Video support? Sure. If it's Flash.

Audio support? Flash, sure.

Pictures? Horribly-designed Flash image galleries, yep.

It doubles as a portable stove top with the optional ceramic hot plate attachment. There is also a discount for a portable generator of your choice.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Shocker!

Apple itself is listed as a "tin sponsor."

Wow that's a list of companies to be proud to be sponsored by, all so successful in the post PC era.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

There truly is no end to these companies' acting like children on the playground.

No company in this instance is acting childish. This is just a sensationalized article
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

No company in this instance is acting childish. This is just a sensationalized article

Agreed. What would have been more accurate would be "Apple scheduled iPhone event during Adobe conference" since the Adobe event (like Oracle Openworld) was planned a year ago at this time. Apple is the one who scheduled this week rather quickly. Articles like this make AI look pretty amateurish.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

why stoop?

this is the first that i've heard of the adobe event?anywhere. i'm sure they're attempting to steal some of apple's thunder, but even if they're announcing a new product, it's quite pale to the attention apple has gotten everywhere?for several months, now.

honestly, there really is nothing to see here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Agreed. What would have been more accurate would be "Apple scheduled iPhone event during Adobe conference" since the Adobe event (like Oracle Openworld) was planned a year ago at this time. Apple is the one who scheduled this week rather quickly. Articles like this make AI look pretty amateurish.

I don't think either side has anything to complain about. It's no different than saying that Apple scheduled its iPhone conference during a GM press conference. Or the Boston Marathon. Apple's press conference is completely unrelated to what Adobe is doing (other than the very broadest sense). Apple's releasing a new phone. Adobe is talking about (and maybe releasing) new developer tools. While there might be SOME people who would be interested in both conferences, the number is undoubtedly very small. The audiences are unrelated.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

These things happen more often with iOS news than Mac OS news.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think either side has anything to complain about. It's no different than saying that Apple scheduled its iPhone conference during a GM press conference. Or the Boston Marathon. Apple's press conference is completely unrelated to what Adobe is doing (other than the very broadest sense). Apple's releasing a new phone. Adobe is talking about (and maybe releasing) new developer tools. While there might be SOME people who would be interested in both conferences, the number is undoubtedly very small. The audiences are unrelated.

Indeed. The only really relevant headline would be something like ?two major tech companies to host keynotes at the same time!?. The reality is, they have nothing to do with each other, they involve different products, they are at different locations. If anything, the fact that they are at the same day and time is purely coincidental. In fact given that tech keynotes are typically held on Tuesdays at the same time, the chances of any two companies coinciding their events is something like 1 and 52. Not all that small.

Apple was not thinking about Adobe when they booked this conference. It was based purely on their own needs. Even if they were aware of Adobe?s conference it would be more of a ?gee, what a coincidence. I guess we should host this on our campus since the venue Adobe is using is occupied.?

Adobe?s conference is night and day compared to Apple?s. It?s not even supposed to have the same media focus that Apple gets. The similarities can be reasonably counted on one hand and dwarfed by the differences. Nobody is trying to steal anybody?s thunder here.

As you said. Maybe some people would be interested in both conferences, but those numbers are likely small and is not unique to this situation. It?s called a schedule conflict. It happens everywhere.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    From the article:

Quote:

Adobe is planning to hold a keynote on Tuesday, Oct. 4, at 10 a.m. Pacific, the same date and time of Apple's highly-anticipated press event, where the company is expected to announce a next-generation iPhone.

Ok, English 101. Let's take out the parenthetical statement, and see the simpler meaning of the sentence:

Quote:

Adobe is planning to hold a keynote on Tuesday, Oct. 4, at 10 a.m. Pacific, ... where the company is expected to announce a next-generation iPhone.

Adobe's announcing a new phone?! Not.

If you meant the final phrase "...where the company is expected..." to modify the parenthetical phrase about Apple, you should've used "Apple" instead of "the company" in order to be clear. Although, even then, it would sound like Apple is releasing a new phone at Adobe's event. This really needed to be 2 independent sentences.

AI writers really need some writing lessons.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

adobe makes dev tools. they don't care what language you code in as long as you use their product

someone gets it.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Yes - DW is not perfect and I do use several less bloaty pieces of software but where I need DW is when I update table content. It's the only time I use wysiwyg but for tables code view is a big pain. DW is also good at cleaning up HTML created through pasting info I get emailed into txtedit and saving as HTML. DW is overkil perhaps, but for dealing with tables it save me a lot of time.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Apple was not thinking about Adobe when they booked this conference. It was based purely on their own needs. Even if they were aware of Adobe’s conference it would be more of a “gee, what a coincidence. I guess we should host this on our campus since the venue Adobe is using is occupied.”

Not even an issue.

Adobe's conference is at the LA Convention Center. Apple only uses SF Bay Area venues for their major events.

Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco (where the Oracle conference is being held) is only used for Apple's WWDC. For larger press events, they use the nearby Yerba Buena Center's theatre. For smaller press events, they use their town hall facility on their own campus in Cupertino, down the Peninsula.

The three events are vastly different anyhow. We're talking about a consumer electronics product, enterprise software, and multimedia content creation. A big organization like Cnet could send one or two people to each event and still have the right staff at each place.