Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 21 of 641
    This is horrifying... I'll stick to the iPhone 4 for now.
  • Reply 22 of 641
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Dual core CPU

8 MP Camera with intelligent processor shooting 1080p video!

Siri full voice control integration

Active antennas

Yeah, lazy buggers have been doing sod all. /sigh

I didn't really need a dual core CPU, but it's given anyway with the A5 in the iPad 2.

8MP and 1080p video... Well, all nice and good but that's what DSLRs are for, not phones. It's just specmanship. Siri voice control? Ah, not so exciting. Active antennas? Never had a real problem with the iPhone4 in a case. Maybe for AT&T it's going to be helpful.
  • Reply 23 of 641
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

So after all this time we get a faster iPhone 4. Wow. Maybe the iPhone hardware team we're on an extended break or something, as this is incredibly lazy stuff.

You can't refresh the design of the hardware every year and make money! They added more functionality inside and beefed it up quite a bit. Actually, I think it's a good refresh. Faster CPU and graphics, better camera, antenna, more networks allowed, global. Very nice adds!!!
  • Reply 24 of 641
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    disappointing event, no new iPhone just a re-cooked iPhone 4, true to form as in the past (see iPhone 3GS), I guess they feel they are well in front of the competition there is no need of anything new. I don't see many iPhone users upgrading to 'this', 3G and 3GS sure but not 4s. I guess we have to wait another 12 months to see anything new.
  • Reply 25 of 641
    Woohoo! Been waiting for a stock buying opportunity!
  • Reply 26 of 641
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I don't want a brick in my pocket and neither does the general consumer. The only way Apple can make the iPhone screen bigger without fragmenting the market is to scale it up (rather than increasing its resolution). It might have been nice on an edge-to-edge screen, but nowhere near as important as the speed/graphics updates. I'm glad they don't believe I want a brick in my pocket.

P.S. No, not like 'every other smartphone'.

An elegant redesign on the back would have been neat.

(Again, not an overly important feature).

P.P.S. If you're looking for a huge screen, give up on Apple. Not going to happen.

The beauty of choice. What was stopping Apple putting out a tweaked iPhone 4 for those who don't want anything new, and a much larger iPhone 5 to compete with the Nexus Prime and the other high end stuff? Give people the option, choice is good. As it stands Apple seems happy to occupy the middle ground, leaving the high end stuff to Google.
  • Reply 27 of 641
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    three and a quarter percent down now for the stock. And when the conference is over, it will drop another 1% because there are no more "by the way" moments.

AAPL screwed the pooch on this one. This will be labeled as AAPL under Cook. Toast.
  • Reply 28 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

Woohoo! Been waiting for a stock buying opportunity!

THIS is the best part of today. Sub $360 is a given today.
  • Reply 29 of 641
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Tell me which major Apple product wasn't redesigned in a great way. I can think of the iPhone "3GS" which was because Steve was not well, and now the iPhone 4S.

MacBook, MacBook Air, iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone4, iPad, iPad2... Killer internals but killer, desirable design that challenged everything we knew and made things new again. Pick up an iPad2 and the iPad1 is nowhere near it.
  • Reply 30 of 641
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Seems that all the naysayers just wanted a bigger screen, kinda plays to their mentality of ooh look at the shiny shiny.

They should go and get an android brick.

The only reason the stock is sliding is so that the city can cash in big when Apple announce their quarterly results later this month and they have shifted another 20 million old' iPhone 4 handsets.
  • Reply 31 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

I think iPhone 5 will be out in June / July 2012...back to the normal announcement schedule.

iPad - Spring

iPhone - Summer

iPod - Fall

Guess the rumors were right about one phone...not really surprised.

I agree, I seriously doubt Apple will make a habit of announcing new iPhone and iPod models at the same annual event. Releasing an iPhone in summer was/is a great way to keep Apple in the news year round with new releases every 3-4 months (iPad > iPhone > iPod) mixed in with Macbooks here and there. Can't go from iPad in April to nothing until October every year. The Japan disaster, misc issues, and new iOS pushed things back this year, I believe. I'm hoping for an iP5 next summer.
  • Reply 32 of 641
    Quote:

Seems that all the naysayers just wanted a bigger screen, kinda plays to their mentality of ooh look at the shiny shiny.

I wanted a back that wasn't prone to busting.
  • Reply 33 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The beauty of choice. What was stopping Apple putting out a tweaked iPhone 4 for those who don't want anything new, and a much larger iPhone 5 to compete with the Nexus Prime and the other high end stuff? Give people the option, choice is good. As it stands Apple seems happy to occupy the middle ground, leaving the high end stuff to Google.

It seems like you don't really understand how Apple works. They're going to keep things as simple as they can, and one of the main things they're going to avoid is fragmentation in the App Store. Screens with a different resolution are probably going to be avoided. They could potentially go smaller with half resolution (ala pre-'Retina' displays) though.

That you describe Google's domain as 'high-end' ground is a pretty clear tell on your position, though. Apple is competing in the 'high-end' ground and only the high-end ground. That some Android phones have bigger screens does not make them more 'high-end' than the iPhone. It just makes them a little nicer for tech folk who are more concerned with the size of their screen than general usability and portability (exempting folks with really fat fingers).

Apple is doing just fine with a single series of models.
  • Reply 34 of 641
    Quote:

The only reason the stock is sliding is so that the city can cash in big when Apple announce their quarterly results later this month and they have shifted another 20 million old' iPhone 4 handsets.

a brick by definition isn't shiny...

try not to contradict yourself when being a smart ass.

Also try not to be so ironic when trying to diss a competing product to a product that you like.

Also Android brick? what is this 2008-9?
  • Reply 35 of 641
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    ..... and they expect us iPhone 4 users upgrade to this at the tune of 700 buck?
  • Reply 36 of 641
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

?think iPhone 5 will?

• Reply 37 of 641
    Quote:

It seems like you don't really understand how Apple works. They're going to keep things as simple as they can, and one of the main things they're going to avoid is fragmentation in the App Store. Screens with a different resolution are probably going to be avoided. They could potentially go smaller with half resolution (ala pre-'Retina' displays) though.

That you describe Google's domain as 'high-end' ground is a pretty clear tell on your position, though. Apple is competing in the 'high-end' ground and only the high-end ground. That some Android phones have bigger screens does not make them more 'high-end' than the iPhone. It just makes them a little nicer for tech folk who are more concerned with the size of their screen than general usability and portability (exempting folks with really fat fingers).

Apple is doing just fine with a single series of models.

and resting on your laurels is a good way to get passed.
  • Reply 38 of 641
    I was hoping for something a little bit amazing. To me this is just another iphone 4 with beefed up specs. Just like the Droid line of Android phones. I don't know if I want to get this or the Galaxy S II Epic Touch (Sprint). It seems like every feature they're talking about is already implemented in Android. And no I'm not an Android Fan Boy..I'm a smartphone fan boy.
  • Reply 39 of 641
    Anyways...I am more than impressed with Siri....I know I'd never ever ever use it except the alarm thing which I use on Android already but that "note that I spent 12 on lunch" is awesome. Plus just the general way you speak to it is cool too...seems much more natural. As opposed to shouting demands.
  • Reply 40 of 641
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:

I don't want a brick in my pocket and neither does the general consumer. The only way Apple can make the iPhone screen bigger without fragmenting the market is to scale it up (rather than increasing its resolution). It might have been nice on an edge-to-edge screen, but nowhere near as important as the speed/graphics updates. I'm glad they don't believe I want a brick in my pocket.

P.S. No, not like 'every other smartphone'.

P.P.S. If you're looking for a huge screen, give up on Apple. Not going to happen.

Edge-to-edge screen does not necessarily mean a brick in your pocket. That is a bit exaggerated. They could simply slightly increase the screen size while maintaining the current resolution and form factor. Just reduce the white space. That would have been a sexy change.