Apple, Google gain in US smartphone share as RIM, Microsoft continue slide

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You've got to give credit where credit is due. Android really executed well. They were able to copy the iPhone very quickly. I still think they are kind of the bottom of the ecosystem though sort of like cockroaches. Very successful but rather disgusting opportunists.

Disgusting?

Why so much hate for people you don't know?
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So, how much money is Samsung making from this? Not being sarcastic or argumentative, I'd like to know.

It doesn't really matter, the real indicator of quality isn't the total users but percent retained. At around %28 as of mid september Samsung looks pretty crappy. If you can't retain even 1/3 of users you attract your product pretty much sucks. Even HTC, who actually does about as anyone can do with Android, can only retain about %40, less than half.

iPhone retention, %89. Nough said.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Disgusting?

I think he meant "it", not "they". "It" being the Android ecosystem, not its users.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:

Apple had a head start in the GUI-based desktop industry and fell on their face. Is that a testament to their ineptness too?

Build a company the size of RIM and then you qualify to make such a dismissive criticism.

Well, yes it IS a testament to their ineptness. Remember that Macintosh debut in 1984 and the next year later, CEO John Sculley had the board remove Steve Jobs from any position of power or control. Jobs quit to start NeXT, where he hired Tim Cook. Meanwhile, Apple spirals through 10 years of poor management, during the years that Apple lost marketshare to Microsoft Windows. Windows was an absolute joke back in 1985, but by 1996, Windows was the absolute king of the desktop, and Intel/Microsoft/Dells of the world seemed to be at the peak of their power and influence. And by 1996, Apple management had completely borked the company...remember Michael Spindler? Gil Amelio? Remember the years of being unable to deliver a real protected memory 32-bit OS? The clone market? Apple trading below $20 a share? So yes, Apple management was textbook example of ineptness.

So much for your "dismissive criticism" theory
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:

Well there is honorable business and illegal business and lots of shades of gray in between. People who say things like 'nothing personal just business' are more likely to be on the devious side of that bell curve. Sort of like our friend Eric Schmidt who wasn't entirely honest about his intentions when he sat on the Apple board.

No kidding, eh? What a fox! He bought Android before joining the Apple board, and yet he hypnotized the Apple board into ignoring that Android just might also be a mobile OS. What a conniving fox he must be - the rest of the world knew Android was coming and yet he hid that fact from the Apple board. What a fox. Or ... what fools they must be on the Apple board?

Or perhaps, it's stupid to make such conclusions without ever being party to what happened?
  • Reply 26 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Disgusting?

Disgust and hate are two entirely different things. Disgust is more like repulsive, where hate has aggressive, destructive connotations which is certainly not what I was implying.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, yes it IS a testament to their ineptness. Remember that Macintosh debut in 1984 and the next year later, CEO John Sculley had the board remove Steve Jobs from any position of power or control. Jobs quit to start NeXT, where he hired Tim Cook. Meanwhile, Apple spirals through 10 years of poor management, during the years that Apple lost marketshare to Microsoft Windows. Windows was an absolute joke back in 1985, but by 1996, Windows was the absolute king of the desktop, and Intel/Microsoft/Dells of the world seemed to be at the peak of their power and influence. And by 1996, Apple management had completely borked the company...remember Michael Spindler? Gil Amelio? Remember the years of being unable to deliver a real protected memory 32-bit OS? The clone market? Apple trading below $20 a share? So yes, Apple management was textbook example of ineptness.

So much for your "dismissive criticism" theory

Jobs quit to start NeXT, where he hired Tim Cook?

I could go on with your rest of your attempt to be condescending, but I am not so mean.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:

Disgust and hate are two entirely different things. Disgust is more like repulsive, where hate has aggressive, destructive connotations which is certainly not what I was implying.

True that.

But surely you must hate someone to find them disgusting when they are not.

I know a few good therapists. They have done me good. Perhaps they can help you too.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:

He bought Android before joining the Apple board, and yet he hypnotized the Apple board into ignoring that Android just might also be a mobile OS.

Apple was not at all concerned about any mobile OS at the time since they were all crap including Android. It didn't matter what OS he bought or even that he bought an OS, by the time it came to market it was an exact clone of iPhone.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:

True that.

But surely you must hate someone to find them disgusting when they are not.

I know a few good therapists. They have done me good. Perhaps they can help you too.

Nice try. I am disgusted when a dog takes a crap in my yard, but I have no hate for either the dog or its owner even if they dutifully clean it up, it is still disgusting.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Apple had a head start in the GUI-based desktop industry and fell on their face. Is that a testament to their ineptness too?

Build a company the size of RIM and then you qualify to make such a dismissive criticism.

I don't need to build a company of that size to make a constructive criticism on the obvious.

Apple almost went belly-up due to ineptness of management at that time after they fired jobs. That's in the history books. Last time I checked, Apple is the #1/#2 most valuable company now.

MS / RIM were at the top of their game, and it's been downhill ever since with no recovery in sight, and this is going on for years.

You don't like my criticisms, fine. I certainly don't lose sleep over what you think, nor do I care. If you want to add value to the discussion, you're more than welcome to. No need to get your hair tied up in a knot.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

It doesn't really matter, the real indicator of quality isn't the total users but percent retained. At around %28 as of mid september Samsung looks pretty crappy. If you can't retain even 1/3 of users you attract your product pretty much sucks. Even HTC, who actually does about as anyone can do with Android, can only retain about %40, less than half.

iPhone retention, %89. Nough said.

"Doesn't really matter"?

Umm.... you think that "percent retained" has something to do with the amount of money that Apple makes?
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Also, question to all those saying the stock price yesterday was a sign of how bad the new phone is....

So today people are changing their minds?

Today, it's called a market rebound. And Apple rebounded less than many companies, more than many others. So, roughly par for the course.

I'd say, people are mixed.

JUST AS THEY WERE after the 3GS.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I don't need to build a company of that size to make a constructive criticism on the obvious.

Apple almost went belly-up due to ineptness of management at that time after they fired jobs. That's in the history books. Last time I checked, Apple is the #1/#2 most valuable company now.

MS / RIM were at the top of their game, and it's been downhill ever since with no recovery in sight, and this is going on for years.

You don't like my criticisms, fine. I certainly don't lose sleep over what you think, nor do I care. If you want to add value to the discussion, you're more than welcome to. No need to get your hair tied up in a knot.

"What a testament to the ineptness of management."

Can you please tell me where is the constructive element in merely calling someone inept?

On the other hand, I was rather constructive in my criticism because I mentioned building a company. Get it?

But seriously, I would say that you are inept in your constructiveness. So far. But there''s time. And so there's hope.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

You've got to give credit where credit is due. Android really executed well. They were able to copy the iPhone very quickly. I still think they are kind of the bottom of the ecosystem though sort of like cockroaches. Very successful but rather disgusting opportunists.

That's vivid. And Apple is like a herd of pink unicorns, galloping in the sunlight.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

That's vivid. And Apple is like a herd of pink unicorns, galloping in the sunlight.

After reading all of the crap you've posted over the last month, it's not difficult to come to the conclusion that you offer absolutely nothing to this forum.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Today, it's called a market rebound. And Apple rebounded less than many companies, more than many others. So, roughly par for the course.

I'd say, people are mixed.

JUST AS THEY WERE after the 3GS.

All I can say is........buy AAPL now.......BEFORE the earnings report.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

The iPhone will continue to be the biggest selling phone in the world!

Some interesting perspective:

Samsung, Android stay at top of mobile market

For the three-month period ended in August, the market researcher estimated Samsung had 25 percent of total mobile subscribers, followed by LG Electronics with 21 percent and Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. with 14 percent. Other top brands included Apple Inc., which had 9.8 percent of mobile subscribers, and Research in Motion Ltd., which had 7.1 percent.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3532622.story

It really surprised me that Apple and RIM are so close together, both in the single digits, with Samsung and LG both having such a commanding lead, each with more than twice the penetration.

Samsung might start to pull away fast too, given the one-two punch of the Galaxy S2 rollout and the upcoming Nexus Prime.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

After reading all of the crap you've posted over the last month, it's not difficult to come to the conclusion that you offer absolutely nothing to this forum.

Even if I did, discussions about me would be off-topic.

So what's your opinion on the latest market share news? Will Apple remain in the single digits? Or will the 4S propel them upwards?

Me, I think that people have all but missed one of the most interesting announcements from yesterday: Apple will be selling three different phones, which is a radical departure from the past. Not only that, they are giving away iPhones for free, which is even cheaper than BOGO.

Did Apple turn a corner here? When have they engaged in such segmentation in the phone market before? I guess they took some lessons from Android's success, and decided that "One Phone for Everybody" was not as good a strategy as they had previously thought. Not only that, but quite starkly different from the initial intro of the first iPhone, they are giving the damn things away for free, seemingly to woo the lower-income market.

This strikes me as BIG news, but I've not seen any comment yet.

Got any opinions about, you know, the article we're commenting on, or related topics, or anything except your opinions of me?
  • Reply 40 of 52
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

I got the same report form Comscore...

Here's my take:

1. Apple gained market share at the expense of RIM and a little bit of Microsoft- Android, though slow, still holds the top spot. But take that with a grain of salt, Microsoft hasn't released the Windows 8 OS for mobile yet... I'm not saying it'll shift everything, but critics seems pretty please at the initial release teasers.

It is somewhat deceptive to say Apple or Android or iOS is taking market share from Blackberry. Increasing market share, in a rapidly growing market, doesn't require any of the manufacturers to take customers from each other. It's all about different rates of growth - and everybody can be growing.