Lack of iPhone 4S Apple Event feed triggers media meltdown

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    I usually just wait until the video available on iTunes to watch and learn about Apple's product announcements. I did my initial reading from the AI's RSS headline but stayed out from the details until I'm watching the stream. Worked just fine plus, without the frustration etc.

I find the whole presentation is sub-standard compared to Steve's. Too many miscues, slips and don't get me started on the pie charts! Who did them? Labels shouldn't be on the same colour as the chart!

Learn it quick Tim.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    A few dissatisfied journalists and a momentary website outage does not rise to the level of histeria portrayed here. Seriously, if this article isn't intentional click bait, then I would characterize the author as somewhat delusional. Apple had no trouble getting the word out yesterday. A small number of people had to wait a few more mintutes to find out what was said in a small room on the other side of the planet.

"meltdown"?

Maybe in the sense that a few uninvited journalists threw a tantrum.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    You do realize the microsoft servers are 3rd in a line of backups right? You'll never hit a windows server in your iCloud experience, unless first apple.com dies, amazon.com dies, then microsoft.

It's only used as a 3 system backup incase there own servers fail which is EXTREMELY smart given that cloud solutions do fail.

You're not using the windows cloud system to login to iCloud or even touching it, Apple is only using scripts in the datacenter to mirror all the data to amazon and microsoft at the same time it's written to the iCloud.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

well Apple.com may not hold up well under pressure, but hey, what do you expect on OSX servers? Maybe they should move it to Windows/SQL Azure along side iCloud in their new Microsoft powered data center! LOL

• Reply 24 of 45
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Steve Jobs RIP
  • Reply 25 of 45
    eacummeacumm Posts: 93member
    Yahoo claims Mr. Steve Jobs has died
  • Reply 26 of 45
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member
    Steve Jobs would have hit it out of the park. Rest in peace.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    RIP Steve. Where's the condolence thread AI?
  • Reply 28 of 45
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I was watching Ars and Engadget and both were having major issues, in the end I think Engadget did a pretty good job considering and their photos were very nice, although Ars had faster captioning and comments, while they were up, but they were down for almost a half hour at one point.

Engadget is AOL. They can probably serve half the world
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eehd View Post

Steve Jobs is dead.

I knew something wasn't right when the camera man went by the empty reserved seat twice during the keynote.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scott523 View Post

I knew something wasn't right when the camera man went by the empty reserved seat twice during the keynote.

Steve was a visionary, and many times he went against conventional wisdom, it is why he was so successful...

My prediction?

Iphone4S will break any records...

George
  • Reply 31 of 45
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    It seems likely that the management knew Steve was close to passing ... so a live feed would have just added to the potential for a very dramatic scene.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Apple has never broadcast their events live. Why did anyone expect them to now?

Not correct.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Engadget is AOL. They can probably serve half the world

except they didnt, they had issues throughout the entire event
  • Reply 34 of 45
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scott523 View Post

Yes strange foreshadowing. Maybe the reason why Cook wasn't so upbeat as well?
  • Reply 35 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

Yes strange foreshadowing. Maybe the reason why Cook wasn't so upbeat as well?

In context of Steve's passing, the events and circumstances of these past several months are now all too clear.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    I thought Tim was a bit sentimental at the beginning. He seemed to be reflecting a bit here and there, swallowing hard a few times; maybe he was a bit choked. Critics complained that the affair was lackluster; subdued would have been a better characterization, in retrospect. If not somber. I'm shocked even though his resignation was beyond doubt the result of a decline in health and portended a sooner than later coming of this day. I didn't think I would feel as sad as I am right now, about the loss of someone I'd never meet. Indeed then, what a charismatic personality he truly had.

Rest in peace Steve. Rest well. We'll miss you.

AWB
  • Reply 37 of 45
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Something I thought more strange was the way they denied requests to photograph and video the hands on demo after the presentation, something they have never done before. Considering the dumb thing looks identical to the current model iPhone, other than Siri, why would they crack down like that?

I'm really not impressed with post Steve Jobs-Apple so far.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    john f.john f. Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I'm really not impressed with post Steve Jobs-Apple so far.

Don't be guided too much by sentiment. This "post-Jobs" thinking will blur your vision, thinking it was always peachy under Jobs, and everything after is less. But even Jobs had keynotes people considered lacking in announcements. Apple has never been about feeding the public what they want right now, but working things out until they think it's ready. I read that Apple's roadmap is planned 3-4 years in advance. It is much like Pixar new features are planned while the other finishes up. iPad was a product of many years of development. It came before the iPhone did. So Steve laid down his vision for years to come. Of course, execution is key, but I have no doubt that Steve Jobs led the company this well because he had the very best persons surrounding him who agreed when he was right, and even disagreed when Steve was wrong.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    I watched the whole event later that night because I knew most of the sites would be a mess. No big deal.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

A few dissatisfied journalists and a momentary website outage does not rise to the level of histeria portrayed here. Seriously, if this article isn't intentional click bait, then I would characterize the author as somewhat delusional. Apple had no trouble getting the word out yesterday. A small number of people had to wait a few more mintutes to find out what was said in a small room on the other side of the planet.

"meltdown"?

Maybe in the sense that a few uninvited journalists threw a tantrum.

Actually, some of the sites did quite well. I can't remember which one I watched, but it was up almost continuously (about a 4 minute break in the middle) with text and photos.

In any event, it's not clear why it's Apple's fault that the media couldn't get their act together. Apple chooses to broadcast some events and not others - as is their prerogative. They chose not to broadcast this one. It's not their fault that the media couldn't follow through.