iPhone 4S launch draws crowds at Apple stores around the world

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Got mine! Great phone but disappointed that a lot of the Siri functionality isn't available in the UK yet.

Why wouldn't it be available in the UK? Was this something they announced?
  • Reply 22 of 79
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Got mine! Great phone but disappointed that a lot of the Siri functionality isn't available in the UK yet.

UPS have just dropped mine off too. 3 very kindly cut my sim down to size but I will have to wait until I've finished work before I can have a proper play. Siri did answer the first couple of things I asked it though.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

somewhere I believe YOU believe you had a point...or something...

My comment was harmless...

How I understood was that he equated you (the first to comment on this article and obviously not part of the KCC, the Kool-Aid chugging crew) with the first person in line at any given Apple store.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

This will always be retarded to me, but I guess it's probably an event I'd have to be there to understand.

Then again...as someone who isn't fanatic about anything (I use to work around celebrities when I was out of college and my boss was shocked and how little fuck I gave) I doubt I could possibly understand.

But yea...in other news...water is wet -_- lol

And what do you achieve by stating all this?

To sound condescending?

To brag about having worked around celebrities? Me too, BTW. I'm sure there are hundreds of celebs around me in any given city.

And, BTW, water is not always wet.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

This will always be retarded to me, but I guess it's probably an event I'd have to be there to understand.

Then again...as someone who isn't fanatic about anything (I use to work around celebrities when I was out of college and my boss was shocked and how little fuck I gave) I doubt I could possibly understand.

But yea...in other news...water is wet -_- lol

I'll agree with you on the celebrity front -- I remember a comedian joking about the fact that if you put a tomato on TV for a while, and then later put that same tomato in a grocery store, people would go nuts for it.

But this is a bit different -- it's more like a tailgate party for iPhone fans. At least with an iPhone, it's something which has a tangible impact on one's daily life.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    I was at the Apple Store in Hamburg Jungfernstieg earlier today. Arrived at about 6.45am to find probably 400-500 people lined up outside the store. Had to stand in queue more than 2 hours, but finally got my hands on a white 16GB version around 9am. Probably before those who preordered!
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I'll agree with you on the celebrity front -- I remember a comedian joking about the fact that if you put a tomato on TV for a while, and then later put that same tomato in a grocery store, people would go nuts for it.

But this is a bit different -- it's more like a tailgate party for iPhone fans. At least with an iPhone, it's something which has a tangible impact on one's daily life.

No. It's not a tailgate party at all. Tailgates are quite social and loud. Folks in queues for iPhones are quite quiet. They are all giving last rites to their present phones. Surely, someone would hold your place in line. But the only raucous moments occur when an Apple employee comes out to count the crowd. Suddenly you hear the same question repeated 200 times - "How many left?" The din dies down after the inevitable I don't know.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Tomatoes were already celebrities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_...iller_Tomatoes
  • Reply 29 of 79
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Why wouldn't it be available in the UK? Was this something they announced?

Having a quick Google suggests that other Brits have noticed. I guess this is why the feature is beta.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Quote:

Yea I gathered that by the first person who quoted me...I didn't know it went down like that I just assumed people just stood in line for a product and acted all crazy. lol.

The way he described it sounded nice actually. I may have to camp out for the iPad 3 or something...to experience it at least once...
  • Reply 31 of 79
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would wait on a line in the rain for hours to get a phone. I want one, but I'll wait until I can just walk in without waiting and obtain one.

On the one hand, such people have the patience to wait in line (I have absolutely no patience to wait on a line) but on the other, I have the patience to wait a few weeks so I don't have to.

But if I find myself in Manhattan at like two in the morning and there's no line, I just might stop in to get one, although if I remember the 3G launch correctly, when there was a shortage of phones, they only sold them during certain hours.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

yes, the 16GB phone holds the entire knowledge of the world inside it

in the keynote they said it goes out to wolfram alpha, yelp and other partners for the data

some people are scary aren't they?
  • Reply 33 of 79
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

AI please stop publishing these terrible lies - the analysts said that the iPhone 4S announcement was dissapointing and that Android would soon take over. So this story is obvsouly just that - a story. Its all hype and propoganda created to fuel the myth that people actually WANT to buy an inferior product just because the media says "Apple is Cool" Clearly the Analysts are the only ones strong-willed enough to see through the Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field - and now that he has been struck down he has become more powerful than you shall ever know. So please just saves us all the time and trouble and get back to the reports where the analysts tell us how the world REALLY works so that we stop being duped.

Huh, what's that you say? turns out the analysts were wrong AGAIN, who'da thunk it?

Way to tell 'em, tough guy....

So the ample pre-order time, the estimated 1 million phones sold in the first 24 hours, and lines that are still forming (even in bad weather her win NY), aren't enough early data point for you to acknowledge there may be a smidge of interest in the 4S?

Your "struck down" comment is offensive to most, I would think.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

And what do you achieve by stating all this?

To sound condescending?

To brag about having worked around celebrities? Me too, BTW. I'm sure there are hundreds of celebs around me in any given city.

And, BTW, water is not always wet.

I didn't brag, I stated a fact. I was just saying that I am not a fanatic so I likely cannot understand the concept of the wait.

Congrats on also working with celebrities...wanna know what I did with them? I was a driver/assistant for an executive for RocaWear (aka his bitch) and periodically he'd need me to drive him to a meeting, wait in a car for hours, then drive him to a club with the people he met with (often celebrities or "models") and wait outside for hours then drive them all home.

It was hardly glamorous, and being that I didn't give a damn about the celebrities it feels like a giant waste of time in retrospect.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

No. It's not a tailgate party at all. Tailgates are quite social and loud. Folks in queues for iPhones are quite quiet. They are all giving last rites to their present phones. Surely, someone would hold your place in line. But the only raucous moments occur when an Apple employee comes out to count the crowd. Suddenly you hear the same question repeated 200 times - "How many left?" The din dies down after the inevitable I don't know.

Depends on the crowd I guess. Maybe now that Apple products are more mass-market, the crowds have become boring (kinda like the celebrity follower crowds), but I remember a time when line-ups for Apple products were more like a geek circus. Plenty of creative ways to help everyone pass the time.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

My wife and I and the kids went to Apple Store for the launch of Leopard. We all got free t-shirts and there was a lot of fun meeting other people and watching others at the mall wonder what kind of weird people we are. The Apple employees kept bringing water out and high fived and cheered us as they opened. Fun to do once. Waiting for UPS to bring me this one. (On the truck, out for delivery!)

When the iPad was launched my wife and I went to the nearest Apple reseller (we don't have an Apple store in Holland), and it was great.

The iPad wasn't on sale online, so it was the only way to get one.

But is was fun to experience and I didn't expect that.

J.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:

I didn't brag, I stated a fact. I was just saying that I am not a fanatic so I likely cannot understand the concept of the wait.

Sorry, dude. But you did, and you know it. At least you have redeemed yourself a little with this rebuttal.

Quote:

Congrats on also working with celebrities...wanna know what I did with them?

Um, didn't say I worked with any. I said they were around me, because they are around everyone
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Quote:

Depends on the crowd I guess. Maybe now that Apple products are more mass-market, the crowds have become boring (kinda like the celebrity follower crowds), but I remember a time when line-ups for Apple products were more like a geek circus. Plenty of creative ways to help everyone pass the time.

I'm sure it's 100% crowd based. Does Apple do anything besides provide water, shirts, and cheer for these crowds? Apple could probably kill it by throwing a concert at select locales or something. Then again the crowds are so mixed when it comes to tastes that it may not go over well with all of them.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Quote:

Sorry, dude. But you did, and you know it. At least you have redeemed yourself a little with this rebuttal.

Um, didn't say I worked with any. I said they were around me, because they are around everyone

I'm around all these Harlem "hustlas" and "rappers" all the time...They know bragging (annoying). I don't consider what I did bragging. If so I would've name dropped. I was just offering a rebuttal to my lack of fanaticism. It's just not in me.

and lol, good technicality.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Reminds me of a trip to the grocery store a few years back - when Beeny Babies were all the rage - as I got to the section where they have pickles - I saw the mini whole pickles and jokingly said oh look - Teeny Beeny Baby Pickles - the woman in front of me who had just passed the pickles stopped and whipped around and said "WHERE?" - I said, no I was just kidding - and she said "Oh, well, now I have to buy some anyway"