Samsung lawyer couldn't tell iPad and Galaxy Tab apart from 10 feet away

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 194
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Google does not pay me. Does Apple pay you?

Also evil seems to have a different meaning in Apple fan land than reality.

Also I've never seen anyone say Android is good. Being technology Android is incapable of being good or evil. Unless you mean good as in a quality sense in which case I'm allowed to hold that opinion.

And please tell me how I'm evil. I'd love to know your criteria on such a distinction.

Must be easy to ignore arguments when you so easily dehumanize those who disagree.

You appear to be losing your cool Absolute!

Conradjoe is in your camp.
  • Reply 182 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

You appear to be losing your cool Absolute!

Conradjoe is in your camp.

Lol. Poe's law.
  • Reply 183 of 194
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I think (or at least hope) that ConradJoe's post was made in irony.

Those quick to use the term "shill" often overlook the logical extension of their imaginings:

The only people who care what's written in this tiny corner of the Internet are those who frequent this place; no else imagines that what happens here has any consequence in the outside world at all.

So if someone were a paid troll, the only company who would benefit from such payment would be AppleInsider themselves, since such posts contribute to repeat visits.

Does anyone here really believe AI pays people to come in here and stir the hornet's nest?

If there are paid trolls at all that's the most plausible answer.

Not at all. Who is incredibly eager to sway public opinion in their favor? Who is starting to look very bad as far as PR? Who has lots of money to spend? Who has shown a blatant disregard for everyone's intellectual property but their own?

You could answer all of those questions with either "Samsung" or "Google".
  • Reply 184 of 194
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 185 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Who believes this tiny corner of the Internet tucked away in AI's pages matters to anyone beyond AI themselves and a handful of regulars?

Has anything posted here ever made any significant different in consumer buying habits, or even the buying habits of those who read these forums?

Mr. Ragosta, if you aspire to write in a forum that matters, I'm afraid you've found the wrong venue. You might consider a blog, or a Facebook page....

So why do you post here?

And even if it's not important, I happen to enjoy slapping you Android shills around.
  • Reply 186 of 194
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 187 of 194
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Google should have patented the windowshade notification and multitasking. I have an iPad 2 and just installed iOS 5. The copying from Android is rampant. And to be honest, it's all an improvement.

jragosta and anonymouse you have good posts. I'm not attacking you, just sticking up for Android. I'm no Fandroid, or not exclusively anyway. I'm an Apple fan and an Android fan, and I even like a lot of new things Microsoft is doing. Best tool for the job. For example I am not one of those nutballs that think everything should be open source and we should get rid of all patents. That's obviously silly and will never happen anyhow.

I know Samsung is trying to make phones that look similar to iPhones. But the thing is, I don't think anyone would be fooled. It's like trying to copy Coke, which was a good example and I agree with. NOTHING tastes like Coke that I've ever tried. And I loooove Coke. Coke Zero mmm. So, the typical customer buying an Apple product is looking for the Coke taste. They are not buying it for the can and to look cool while drinking out of a Coke can. They want the Coca-Cola taste. The equivalent is the Mac OS GUI experience. People buying an Android phone, are similar, in that they want Android. They want some of the features Android offers that iPhone does not. (And/or since it's cheaper). They'd buy a Samsung phone whether or not it looks like an iPhone. It just so happens the iDevices are attractive to look at and Samsung copied them.

While it's kind of pathetic Samsung couldn't create its own look, I think Apple is taking it a bit far with all this lawsuit crap. All this crap does it raise prices for ALL of us! For our products, a fraction of which goes toward paying frickin lawyers for both sides. Screw the lawyers, let's keep our money going to the engineers that make great stuff. And their families. Both Apple and Samsung make great stuff. If Apple wants to continue to lead the market, they should continue to out-innovate everyone else. And I give it to them, when they first came out with the iPhone it was a BIG deal. It started "apps", it started multitouch, and awesomely, they told carriers what to do not the other way around. iPhone undoubtedly paved the way for Android. And Eric S. did probably steal some intellectual property from those AAPL meetings. Google does owe Apple in a way, and that is why now that I think about it, Apple definitely deserves to steal back some ideas from Google (like the windowshade Notifications).

I really like my Droid and I think it has some cool things no one else has as a platform. It actually syncs extremely well with a Mac once a few things are set up. I just want to spread this info to anyone else here who has a Mac, so they know that if they get a Droid, it actually works with their Mac.

But jrag...if you know a way to get me on Google's payroll as a shill lemme know.
  • Reply 188 of 194
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Today's Dilbert takes a jab at all of this.

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-10-18/
  • Reply 189 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Google should have patented the windowshade notification and multitasking.

I don't need to go any further. You have no credibility. Multitasking was around long before Google even existed. For that matter, it was probably around before Google's founders were even born.
  • Reply 190 of 194
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    To all those who believe that the iPad's form factor is synonymous with Tablet form factors in general, the following image says it all.

• Reply 191 of 194
    It is sad to see Apple using mindless patents to force competitors out of their way. It is even worse seeing judges agreeing with this approach. In the end this will be bad for all of us.

Sadly, most people on this forum don't have the brains to understand the underlying issues.

I will take the time to give an example.

The form factor is driven by what is possible from a technology point of view. Thinner devices weren't possible just a few years ago. Smaller devices result in similar looking devices. I mean I have yet to see an Android or iPad device that isn't rectangular... At the same time all manufacturers go for less buttons and rounded corners. Again that is driven by common aesthetics and not by copying each other.

Now, I can already hear some folks asking about the frame around the screen. Guess what? It is driven by what it is technical possible. The frame not only holds the screen in place it also allows for more interior space. At this time it is safe to assume that future devices will be frame less because our technology is moving forward.

Apple is making a lot of patent claims that are not in alignment with common belief. Most recently I saw one in which Apple claims to be the developer of click able links to dial a phone number. Seriously? Links have been developed by whoever came up with HTML. Oh, wait, these folks did the right thing. They made that public domain. Otherwise we would all pay for every freaking web page we are loading...

Common sense is needed. Sadly our judges are not knowledgeable when it comes to technology and so we will see many misjudgements.

Overall, this is bad news for customers.
  • Reply 192 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jst68 View Post

It is sad to see Apple using mindless patents to force competitors out of their way. It is even worse seeing judges agreeing with this approach. In the end this will be bad for all of us.

Sadly, most people on this forum don't have the brains to understand the underlying issues.

I will take the time to give an example.

The form factor is driven by what is possible from a technology point of view. Thinner devices weren't possible just a few years ago. Smaller devices result in similar looking devices. I mean I have yet to see an Android or iPad device that isn't rectangular... At the same time all manufacturers go for less buttons and rounded corners. Again that is driven by common aesthetics and not by copying each other.

Now, I can already hear some folks asking about the frame around the screen. Guess what? It is driven by what it is technical possible. The frame not only holds the screen in place it also allows for more interior space. At this time it is safe to assume that future devices will be frame less because our technology is moving forward.

Apple is making a lot of patent claims that are not in alignment with common belief. Most recently I saw one in which Apple claims to be the developer of click able links to dial a phone number. Seriously? Links have been developed by whoever came up with HTML. Oh, wait, these folks did the right thing. They made that public domain. Otherwise we would all pay for every freaking web page we are loading...

Common sense is needed. Sadly our judges are not knowledgeable when it comes to technology and so we will see many misjudgements.

Overall, this is bad news for customers.

1) You must not have the brains to understand the viewpoint of others if you've read this entire thread and concluded that everyone who doesn't agree with you apparently have no understanding of the issues at hand.

2) The HTML links you speak of are entirely different from Apple's patent. In the early days of HTML, you had to specifically tag info like phone numbers for them to have an action available. Apple's patent involves random data that is then translated to actionable events. Back then if you typed in a random number online without tags, you wouldn't have been able to "click to dial.".
  • Reply 193 of 194
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't need to go any further. You have no credibility. Multitasking was around long before Google even existed. For that matter, it was probably around before Google's founders were even born.

I know. Everyone copies everyone. I was not serious. My point is that most platforms have a lot of similarities. But almost all platforms have exclusive features or at least they are exclusive for a while before others copy it. Apple is usually the pioneer but not always. Have you used Android? The windowshade notification bar looks pretty familiar to me. I've been enjoying it for a year with my Droid. And while multitasking wasn't invented by Google, it was the first popular mobile phone OS that could multitask I think (maybe? I'm guessing.) In fact, Android seems to SCALE better, for power users, to do LOTS of things in lots of ways, all at once. Apple typically excels at this, but for once, I think they've tripped. MacOS X excels at managing lots of information and processes and making sense of chaos. iOS feels kludgey and leaden compared to Android at least to me. I think the standard buttons on the bottom, keyboard, and Notifications have really been my favorite things about Android.

Now ease up on the friendly fire, I'm on both teams here. How do I have no credibility, I have an iPad 2 and a Droid 2 Global, both top-tier for each platform. I'm pointing out similarities and how it highlights the escalating silliness of software patent lawsuits. I believe in patents. In fact I believe strongly in software patents. But lately the lawyers are just getting stupid with their broad interpretations of laughably generic patents. I'm just calling for a little more restraint of the legal eagle teams and for companies (Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc) to out-innovate each other instead of resorting to suing each other. Which will result in better and cheaper products for us. How about it?
  • Reply 194 of 194
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Furthermore, Samsung just lost an ENORMOUS amount of credibility on the world stage. They are now a laughingstock among those studying intellectual property issues. This will haunt them for years. And that lawyer might as well apply for a job at Wal-mart.

That lawyer is the former dean of Stanford's law school. She will remain highly employable despite this case.

There are some cases so weak that even an all-star team of lawyers cannot save them. Samsung's is one of those.