Comments

• Reply 101 of 143
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 102 of 143
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

My question is what does Samsung count as a smartphone? ... some Bada (where? Korea?)

20M Galaxies... I think not. (Unless someone with some facts can jump in).

Bada phones are sold in Europe, India, Asia, Australasia - just about anywhere except the US.

Quote:

There’s no surprise that success of Galaxy S made Samsung a very important player in the smartphone arena. Now the company has announced that the original Galaxy S and its successor, Galaxy S II have passed a new milestone. Samsung has managed to sell over 30 million units of both Galaxy S and S II (cumulatively).

The numbers reflect for the sales all over the world with the Galaxy S taking 66 percent of the total share with 20 million handsets and Galaxy S II about 10 million.

Speaking of the latest generation Galaxy S handset, Galaxy S II is the fastest selling smartphone in Samsung’s history that broke 10 million sales figure in just 5 months.

http://sammyhub.com/2011/10/17/samsu...-million-mark/

• Reply 103 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

It also raises another question: if shipments to such resellers is increasing each quarter, does that suggest that sell-through is at levels the reseller finds attractive?

Of course. My example questions were if the shipments decreased significantly. If they increased then sell through should be good. The only exception is channel stuffing (which I highly doubt).

Basically, my response was to clarify that shipment numbers usually ARE real sales to stores and that returning said shipments would not only need to that be in the contract, but Samsung could not report those as actual sales since the numbers would be contingent on returns.

Sometimes, there are posters who have no problem offering supporting posts to your argument. No need to add something unrelated as if there is some trick question involved.
  • Reply 104 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It isn't correct. It was over 4 million.

But we see what happens when a company releases one new model a year. This dip has always been seen before the new phone arrives. The analysts were off on this one. Even they were feeling the iPhone frenzy.

But Samsung, as other manufacturers do, offers new phones several times during the year, so the ups and downs of their sales is almost entirely due to seasonal variation - something that Apple's sales are subject to as well.

Next quarter's results should be interesting considering Apple's very aggressive, and unusual, guidance.

Yeah, the guidance makes me suspect that there some large sales of iPhones and iPads being negotiated... Similar to the recent Lowe's and Sears deals.
  • Reply 105 of 143
    deleted
  • Reply 106 of 143
    deleted
  • Reply 107 of 143
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Who said that they would? (although I will point out once again that just saying "plastic" and "glass" doesn't mean anything. Some glasses are more flexible than some plastics. Some plastics are more brittle than some glasses. For the sake of argument, I'll assume that you're talking about the plastic in the Nexus vs the glass in the iPhone, but you really should be more careful in making blanket statements).

People buying the iPhone buy it because the overall set of features makes it the best choice for them. Durability is only one of 100 features that people consider. Price, quality of construction, ease of use, appearance, scratch resistance, radio reception, and many, many more things must be considered.

I would expect Dutch people considered them all when they voted best phone.
  • Reply 108 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Not intended as a "trick question", just a bit of a shock to read what may be the first post in the history of AI forums to suggest that Android phones aren't being scurried away to some secret warehouse in Nebraska. Your explanation makes much more sense than such odd claims.

No prob. Things can get very contentious here (on both sides).
  • Reply 109 of 143
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Bada phones are sold in Europe, India, Asia, Australasia - just about anywhere except the US.

http://sammyhub.com/2011/10/17/samsu...-million-mark/

Samsung has managed to sell over 30 million units of both Galaxy S and S II (cumulatively) . . . since their introduction in 2010.

It takes Apple little more than two quarters to sell what Samsung in this case took 1 year and 7 months to do.

Now here's some perspective: Apple sold 4 million iPhone 4Ses in the span of a weekend.

What's your point?
  • Reply 110 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You have to love the Samsung development process. Apparently no one talks to anyone else there:

At the same time,

http://allthingsd.com/20111020/samsu...apple-patents/

Sounds like "Samsung mobile executive Won-Pyo Hong" needs to communicate better with "Samsung mobile president Shin Jong-kyun".

No wonder they can't innovate - executives there don't even talk to each other - or read the news.

"Siri set up a meeting between Won-Pyo Hong and Shin Jong-kyun"
  • Reply 111 of 143
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Samsung has managed to sell over 30 million units of both Galaxy S and S II (cumulatively) . . . since their introduction in 2010.

Did you miss this detail?

It takes Apple little more than two quarters to sell what Samsung in this case took 1 year and 7 months to do.

Now here's some perspective: Apple sold 4 million iPhone 4Ses in the span of a weekend.

What's your point?

I don't understand this "one vs. many" argument.

Apple decided to do only one model a year (usually in 3 variants). As a result, they have enormously high number of single-model sales. They decided that model works best for them and they stick with it.

Samsung decided to release multiple models over the year. As a result they have enormously high number of their brand sales, but sales are somewhat diluted among models within the brand. They decided that model works best for them and they stick with it.

At the end of the day, Samsung did sell more smartphones than Apple. Would Samsung sell less units have they decided to have only one new model a year? Would Apple sell more units but less specific models have they decided to release more models every year? I think that is quite pointless exercise.
  • Reply 112 of 143
    deleted
  • Reply 113 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Flimsy eh? Square Trade drop tested the IP4s and Galaxy II S. Guess which one survived in better shape?

Yep, the flimsy one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw

Kinda makes you wonder why Apple didn't go with the Gorilla Glass like Samsung did... a damn shame if you ask me after all the broken screens on the regular 4.
  • Reply 114 of 143
    deleted
  • Reply 115 of 143
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Although Samsung probably did beat APple on sales last Q it's also true that we are comparing Apples and Oranges. Apple tells us what is sold (17M) and what is in channel (3M). This compares with guesswork for Sam.

Nevertheless apple does need to up it's game.
  • Reply 116 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yes, sold just the same as Samsung would sell them. Once a reseller pays for them and they leave Samsung's control it's a sale, just as it is for Apple. In general the "sale" is counted once the devices are paid for and shipment made, whether to a Best Buy, ATT, Verizon or Walmart warehouse, or to an individual buyer. Apple is very clear on this. Read Apple's SEC 10-K filing to confirm how Apple recognizes a sale in it's financial statements if you have a question about it.

A lot of Apples sales are shipped direct to the user, so shipped equal final sales, not sold to the distributor who then passes them to the re-seller as is the standard model.

Samsung must have 10 X the point of sales that Apples has. Nearly every kiosk/storefront cell phone sales outfit sells (or gives away on 2 year contact) Samsung "smart Phones".
  • Reply 117 of 143
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post

Or maybe, just maybe... the Galaxy S2 *GASP*.. is actually a good phone? And by that I mean it has a proven track record of being a dependable and capable smartphone after more than six months in the wild.

Who cares what some random organisation declares which smartphone to be the best this year? Just be happy with your fruit-devices and accept that there are other good phones out there which appeals to other people too. It's iFan extremists like you who gives the whole Apple community a bad name.

They weren't all Galaxy's, Samsung has a range of smartphones on the market, ranging from cheaper, less functional PAYG phones up to the various S2 configurations, phones like the Nexus S are still available,

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung-phones-9.php
  • Reply 118 of 143
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lankadragon View Post

Kinda makes you wonder why Apple didn't go with the Gorilla Glass like Samsung did... a damn shame if you ask me after all the broken screens on the regular 4.

Gorilla Glass is a copyrighted trade name of a Crown Corning product, for all intents and purposes the iPhone uses the same type of glass as do SonyEricsson and others.
  • Reply 119 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Stop making such stupid posts or I'm going to remove them. You are working very hard to troll lately, and it's got to stop.

I ignore him, but he is not on my ignore list...

It's kinda' like watching a dog chasing his own tail.

I have been trying to think of a word that describes what he is doing...

The closest I could find is: "Whinger":

A person given to excessive complaints and crying and whining

But this doesn't really fit, and I couldn't find an antonym.

So I thought I'd coin a new word:

Loseger n Lose-ger

A person who falsely praises something or someone in an excessive and irritating manner

...or we could just give him a soccer trophy
  • Reply 120 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Although Samsung probably did beat APple on sales last Q it's also true that we are comparing Apples and Oranges. Apple tells us what is sold (17M) and what is in channel (3M). This compares with guesswork for Sam.

Nevertheless apple does need to up it's game.

I agree and I've been saying for quite a while that Apple needs to change its game plan a bit. Just my opinion, of course, and we won't know until at least the middle of April if Apple's business model is effective enough in this fast changing smartphone game.

I really believe, though, that if Apple unveils a redesigned 4" A6 iPhone next June then Samsung will appear to be standing still. So if there is a lag between January and June I think the void will be quickly filled, especially considering that the 4S and the 4 will fall in behind the new model.

... and, Solipsism, I promise not to bring this up again until the fiscal 2Q results in April.