Apple issues Apple TV 4.4.2 and MacBook Pro 15" video updates

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Monday issued Apple TV software update 4.4.2 to resolve issues with recent versions of the set-top box's software, as well as Video Update 1.0 for mid-2010 15-inch MacBook Pros.

Apple TV Software Update 4.4.2

The Cupertino, Calif., company released Software Update 4.4.2 on Monday. Apple TV users are warned to first reset all settings if they are already running versions 4.4 or 4.4.1.

"Apple TV devices with software version 4.4 and 4.4.1 have an issue with updating software to later versions," Apple wrote in a support note for the update. "We recognize that this is an inconvenience and apologize."

Last week, Apple released Apple TV Software Update 4.4.1 to fix minor bugs in version 4.4, but quickly took it down after users reported problems with it.

Released earlier this month, Apple TV software version 4.4 added Photo Stream compatibility, Trailers, Wall Street Journal Live and National Hockey League content. The update also added support for subtitles in Netflix and three new slideshow themes.

Video Update 1.0

MacBook Pro Video Update 1.0 addresses an issue where 15-inch mid-2010 models would intermittently freeze or stop displaying video. The 70.97MB download requires Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2.

Apple had previously identified the problem as occurring in 15-inch MacBook Pros manufactured between April 2010 and February 2011. The bug caused both built-in and external displays on some machines to turn black or gray before freezing up or ceasing to display video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Released earlier this month, Apple TV software version 4.4 added Photo Stream compatibility, Trailers, Wall Street Journal Live and National Hockey League content. The update also added support for subtitles in Netflix and three new slideshow themes.

What is this "Trailers" feature? I still see the same old "In Theatres" menu.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

What is this "Trailers" feature? I still see the same old "In Theatres" menu.

I think it's suppose to resemble that of the iOS app.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Thats what I thought. Given that the Trailers iOS app is for some reason US only, I imagined that it would appear on Apple TV if I changed my settings to the US: TV shows and the NBA app appear, but no Trailers app.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    The update is available for my Mac - although I have never experienced intermittent video freezing.

What's interesting is if you're running Snow Leopard, you might be eligible for the machine being serviced. Odd that Lion supports a software update, but Snow Leopard requires a service - possibly meaning a hardware replacement or some other work requiring you to take your MBP back to Apple.

As for iOS on ATV... just give us Hulu Plus already.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    I guess they finally got tired of the witty comments in my problem reports. I have submitted 50 or 60 since lion came out.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You would think, but it doesn't.

There have been some updates. But it looks nothing like the iOS app. Not in layout, functionality, etc.. There is nothing really wrong with it, but the changes were very minor. It now has some categories instead of just a big block of trailers.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

As for iOS on ATV... just give us Hulu Plus already.

No, if you want to watch current shows through streaming, you'll need to spend $2000 for a 40 inch Apple branded set.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Just hooked up my first AppleTV last night. It took some setting up (network, Home Sharing, netflix, etc.) but so far I love it. Got the update as well.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

No, if you want to watch current shows through streaming, you'll need to spend $2000 for a 40 inch Apple branded set.

Really? I got my 60" Apple-branded TV set for $999. I'm a smart advanced shopper.