Unlike Apple's iOS, Android phones not getting updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

My year and a half old Aria runs the latest release of Gingerbread without issue.

what about the iphone 3g? no ios5? No siri? People can make these stupid arguments all day.

I don't see why people argue about fragmentation. If your phone runs 2.2 or higher, you can run all applications. It's really that simple.

You say yourself that if you don't buy an iphone, you don't have taste. Wow.

While I don't agree with the OP's assumption that Android users have no class, you use a very poor example. You precious Aria was released in March-April of 2010. The iPhone 3G was released in June of 2008! Your Aria is two years newer, has been out for less than two years, and has already had support pretty much discontinued.

The better phone to compare it to time-wise would be the iPhone 4, but that might not be fair because the Aria was never a flagship phone like the 4 was. So let's compare it to the 3GS at the time the Aria was released, which was already almost a year old at that point. It is still being supported today, and will be for at least another year past now. No, it doesn't have every single new feature, but really, the only one it and the 4 aren't getting is Siri. They both still have iMessage, they both still have AirPlay, they both still have Notification Center, all of it. Meanwhile your Aria will never get ICS, and has been all but forgotten by everybody except you, including HTC.
  • Reply 22 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And good luck getting anyone at Google on the phone! LOL

Easy as pie. If you're an actual Google customer instead of a Google product.
  • Reply 23 of 215
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Apple?s way of getting you to buy a new phone is to make you really happy with your current one, whereas apparently Android phone makers think they can get you to buy a new phone by making you really unhappy with your current one," Degusta said.

Nicely said.
  • Reply 24 of 215
    Quote:

My year and a half old Aria runs the latest release of Gingerbread without issue.

what about the iphone 3g? no ios5? No siri? People can make these stupid arguments all day.

I don't see why people argue about fragmentation. If your phone runs 2.2 or higher, you can run all applications. It's really that simple.

The 3GS runs iOS5.

And why is not having Siri a negative? Next you will be complaining "What about iPhone4. It does not have an 8MP camera"...
  • Reply 25 of 215
    Hey Fandroids, it's easy. Just trade in last month's new phone, shell out $300, and you can have a tasty Ice Cream Sandwich. Isn't planned obsolescence delicious - tastes like a lime green sucker, doesn't it?
  • Reply 26 of 215
    Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and dont plan on ever buying a different phone as long as the iPhone is out there, but not everyone fully uses or understands the iPhone software updates either. My parents both got iP4s after they had their 3Gs and to this day still do not even know the multi-tasking exists. Every time I pick up on of their phones the first thing I do is turn off at least 20 apps. I don't think I am going to even bother trying to explain iOS5 to them. I'll just let them be happy with what they're used to.
  • Reply 27 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Hey Fandroids, it's easy. Just trade in last month's new phone, shell out $300, and you can have a tasty Ice Cream Sandwich. Isn't planned obsolescence delicious - tastes like a lime green sucker, doesn't it?

Is that like the "new" iPhone 4s wow faster processor and a little better camera SO worth the $$ to get it!
  • Reply 28 of 215
    Quote:

Apple ][ is twelve so don't expect anything intelligent.

Fragmentation is an issue if you are a developer and as an owner of an Android and an iPhone, currently a 4S the upgrade experience on both is day and night. On an Android its basically good luck getting upgrades on the day of release. With iOS, download and install anytime. if your phone is acting up just restore. On Android, time to start all over again, if you can. Hardware wise there are several good Android phones but none approach the fit and finish of the iPhone 4 series. The iPhone 3GS beats all the Android phones in its price range of $0 on contract (US). The Android platform's biggest issues however is ecosystem, security, management and stability. iOS feels very finished and polished. Android is like a rock and I don't mean that in a good way.
  • Reply 29 of 215
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Google's own Nexus One has received the best support, but the company just announced that it won't be getting the new Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich," even though it's not yet two years old.

In Google's defense these things didn't sell very well. It was reported they sold 135k units in the first 74 days, and then it was discontinued from Google's site about 7 months after it first went on sale. I can't imagine there are many Nexus One users at this point to make the expense of creating an update viable, especially not with Google's business model.
  • Reply 30 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Unfortunately, that summation is not far from the truth.
  • Reply 31 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wcbaritone10 View Post

Every time I pick up on of their phones the first thing I do is turn off at least 20 apps.

It might be worth reading a bit more about the differences in multi-tasking in iOS as compared to traditional multi-tasking, or the sort of multi-tasking which is used in an operating system like Android. There's probably very little (or even no) benefit to 'turning off' any apps at all when you pick up one of your parents' phones.
  • Reply 32 of 215
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

What carrier are you on? There might be difference between carriers (and maybe between GSM and CDMA).
  • Reply 33 of 215
    Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone and don't plan on ever buying a different phone as long as the iPhone is out there, but not everyone fully uses or understands the iPhone software updates either. My parents both got iP4s after they had their 3Gs and to this day still do not even know the multi-tasking exists. Every time I pick up on of their phones the first thing I do is turn off at least 20 apps. I don't think I am going to even bother trying to explain iOS5 to them. I'll just let them be happy with what they're used to.

I agree when I worked for Apple I would have at least one person a day that when I would ask them "when is the last time you plugged this into iTunes?" they would look at me with a blank stare and then ask "Whats that?" that's why I don't mind iPhone's being a little behind the curve ie latest CPU or 4G most people don't need it...
  • Reply 34 of 215
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Well, in some areas it's still behind Froyo

native turn by turn navigation,

Yeah people are really demanding that (sarcasm)

Quote:

systewide third party app integration,

Not gonna' happen, this is a huge security risk.

Quote:

restrictive Bluetooth functionality).

For that giant ecosystem of third party devices that use Bluetooth on Android (more sarcasm)
  • Reply 35 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

It might be worth reading a bit more about the differences in multi-tasking in iOS as compared to traditional multi-tasking, or the sort of multi-tasking which is used in an operating system like Android. There's probably very little (or even no) benefit to 'turning off' any apps at all when you pick up one of your parents' phones.

In his defense Apple does recommend turning them off, I have had a number of Apple ppl tell me and it is listed under there "save battery life article"
  • Reply 36 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RepairZoom View Post

Is that like the "new" iPhone 4s wow faster processor and a little better camera SO worth the $$ to get it!

What sealed the deal for me was Siri, A5, the camera and canceling the contract on my Evo 4G. It would have been a great phone if it didn't crash all the time and the updates, resets and restores were easy to do i.e. Apple like in management.
  • Reply 37 of 215
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

D Every time I pick up on of their phones the first thing I do is turn off at least 20 apps.

You mean you clear the history of recently used apps? And for no particular purpose. Unless those 20 apps play sound, are VoIP apps, or are navigation apps.
  • Reply 38 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

Unfortunately, that summation is not far from the truth.

I find that amusing as with ATT if you want to upgrade in contract say from a 4 to a 4S it will cost you $299 the first time and like $499 the second time
  • Reply 39 of 215
    Quote:

You want to compare a 3 1/2 year old phone to a 1 1/2 year old phone? The 3GS runs iOS5 just fine.
  • Reply 40 of 215
    Quote:

"Apple’s way of getting you to buy a new phone is to make you really happy with your current one, whereas apparently Android phone makers think they can get you to buy a new phone by making you really unhappy with your current one," Degusta said.

Speaks volumes as to who are the greedy ones and who cares about their customers!