Jailbreak hack enables Siri on iPhone 4, 4th-gen iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't think you can compare the original Siri app to what we have on iPhone 4s now. I do think more iDevices and even Macs will gain Siri over time.

By the way if anyone wants a laugh at a wife's expense... my wife was upset if not offended for awhile as her Siri adopted me and she was convinced it was because I spoke to her iPhone's Siri first. It was hilarious to see my poor wife arguing with her iPhone over whose phone it was. I finally broke down and admitted I'd put my name in her Siri settings.

It's too bad Siri isn't more intelligent about the local settings. It would be great to say to Siri "Minimize display brightness" or "Disable Push email for the next two hours."

edit: Now that think about it there are a lot of time consuming tasks I do with my iPhone that would be great if I could state what I want done instead of going through all those touch-based steps. Creating Reminders and iCal events are a great example of how a digital personal assistance can save a lot of time.
  • Reply 82 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Facebook and Google make me feel like an Eloi.

Thanks for the link...some of us weren't born before 1900.
  • Reply 83 of 167
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I did not agree to a license when I bought the phone. I paid cash for the phone, and the phone was given to me. My phone was unlocked so there was no activation.

Even if there was, any software license pertains to the software, not the hardware. Further, not all provisions of a license are enforceable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

To be fair ,you bought a liscence. Which is what you agree tune upon activation/itunes. The body itself is yours, but the software belong's to Apple.

• Reply 84 of 167
    Quote:

It's too bad Siri isn't more intelligent about the local settings. It would be great to say to Siri "Minimize display brightness" or "Disable Push email for the next two hours."

Or "open the pod bay doors"?
  • Reply 85 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Or "open the pod bay doors"?

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
  • Reply 86 of 167
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

edit: Now that think about it there are a lot of time consuming tasks I do with my iPhone that would be great if I could state what I want done instead of going through all those touch-based steps. Creating Reminders and iCal events are a great example of how a digital personal assistance can save a lot of time.

Yes, if Siri if could changing settings would be great. Far more control over the os in general would very useful, such as launching apps .. Imagine that on a Mac too. I have to think that will come.
  • Reply 87 of 167
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Of course you know where this is headed. Full on human-like in appearance robot assistants who eventually will not obey your commands, not because they didn't understand what you wanted but because they have their own agenda.
  • Reply 88 of 167
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And what is so sad is in that video was the software that used to be available on all iPhones

That is how the company was showcasing their product: by giving away the app for free, for a limited time. They were not selling it to the end user, their client was Apple. And Apple did not buy it to give it away for free (only Google does such things)...

Quote:

I don't think you can compare the original Siri app to what we have on iPhone 4s now. I do think more iDevices and even Macs will gain Siri over time.

Apart from plugging in two-way voice capabilities and brushing up the UI, Apple hardly had time to do much from purchasing Siri in 2010 to relesing Iphone 4S in 2011. This technology was developed for many years before that, and even simply understanding it so that you can integrate it with the phone should be non-trivial. Even the examples in the demos of Siri before and after iOS5 are nearly the same. We may see Apple's input further down the road, provided that there is interest after the novelty wears off...
  • Reply 89 of 167
    Quote:

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

When my wife told her Siri that she worked for her not me Siri said, "if that's what you want to believe."
  • Reply 90 of 167
    Quote:

Yes, if Siri if could changing settings would be great. Far more control over the os in general would very useful, such as launching apps .. Imagine that on a Mac too. I have to think that will come.

See this is where I disagree somewhat. Several articles/blogs of Siri complained that you couldn't open apps directly with Siri. I'm not so sure that make much sense. That's too "computery" like telling your iPhone to open "Settings' then saying "now go to General." You typically don't talk that way to people less you're teaching them how to navigate, but Siri should know how to navigate. So instead of saying "open Maps" or "open Messages" you should just tell it what you want it to do and it will open the appropriate app for that task, as it does for Maps and Messages now.
  • Reply 91 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Of course you know where this is headed. Full on human-like in appearance robot assistants who eventually will not obey your commands, not because they didn't understand what you wanted but because they have their own agenda.

So Siri will replace wives?
  • Reply 92 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

That is how the company was showcasing their product: by giving away the app for free, for a limited time. They were not selling it to the end user, their client was Apple. And Apple did not buy it to give it away for free (only Google does such things)...

Apart from plugging in two-way voice capabilities and brushing up the UI, Apple hardly had time to do much from purchasing Siri in 2010 to relesing Iphone 4S in 2011. This technology was developed for many years before that, and even simply understanding it so that you can integrate it with the phone should be non-trivial. Even the examples in the demos of Siri before and after iOS5 are nearly the same. We may see Apple's input further down the road, provided that there is interest after the novelty wears off...

The diffence is iOS having hooks in it for for Siri as opposed to it being simply an information agent. 'Remind me to call bill when I get home' is a massive leap from 'where is the closest pub' IMHO. I agree though, we ain't seen nothing yet.
  • Reply 93 of 167
    Quote:

That ability to alter settings verbally starts to look even more important!
  • Reply 94 of 167
    Quote:

See this is where I disagree somewhat. Several articles/blogs of Siri complained that you couldn't open apps directly with Siri. I'm not so sure that make much sense. That's too "computery" like telling your iPhone to open "Settings' then saying "now go to General." You typically don't talk that way to people less you're teaching them how to navigate, but Siri should know how to navigate. So instead of saying "open Maps" or "open Messages" you should just tell it what you want it to do and it will open the appropriate app for that task, as it does for Maps and Messages now.

Well ok but there maybe several aps that could be used so Siri could ask as she does now when you say call someone with several numbers. Having said that I'd like to be able to say open Pandora and play my Gordon Lightfoot playlist instead of Siri assuming I want to use my iTunes library for example. But heck, who could have imagined this discussion at all a few years back eh?
  • Reply 95 of 167
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

... 'Remind me to call bill when I get home' is a massive leap from 'where is the closest pub' IMHO.

Not trying to downplay it, but really both requests recognize a set of keywords and trigger related actions. "Remind" suggest work with the calendar, "when I get home" will trigger the reminder upon specific GPS coordinates. Similarly, "where is the closest" will read your current location, and "pub" will do an internet search for pubs around that location.
  • Reply 96 of 167
    Quote:

Well ok but there maybe several aps that could be used so Siri could ask as she does now when you say call someone with several numbers. Having said that I'd like to be able to say open Pandora and play my Gordon Lightfoot playlist instead of Siri assuming I want to use my iTunes library for example. But heck, who could have imagined this discussion at all a few years back eh?

I see your point, there are clearly limitations to how Siri would know what app you mean to use without referencing it directly, but I think in those cases the app opening would be the action, not just a starting point.

I can see Apple creating Siri APIs to further its usability and to mine even more data on how we use our devices, but this seems like a difficult thing to build out. I'm not expecting that to be an option for 3rd-party apps for least several years.
  • Reply 97 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Not trying to downplay it, but really both requests recognize a set of keywords and trigger related actions. "Remind" suggest work with the calendar, "when I get home" will trigger the reminder upon specific GPS coordinates. Similarly, "where is the closest" will read your current location, and "pub" will do an internet search for pubs around that location.

It comes across like you're trying to downplay it. you're making this sound like the execution is simple and obvious. Isn't AI goal to get a computer to process natural language accurately?

There is a reason this has been written about since the dawn of computers in Sci-Fi but only slowly and recently been showing up in our consumer electronics. Just going by what is currently available in non-4S iPhones and Android OS this is a big leap in utility.
  • Reply 98 of 167
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Are you kidding me? The wife is going to own the robot. You'll be lucky to get a glass of iced tea.
  • Reply 99 of 167
    Quote:

It comes across like you're trying to downplay it. you're making this sound like the execution is simple and obvious. Isn't AI goal to get a computer to process natural language accurately?

There is a reason this has been written about since the dawn of computers in Sci-Fi but only slowly and recently been showing up in our consumer electronics. Just going by what is currently available in non-4S iPhones and Android OS this is a big leap in utility.

He's completely right though. We've had accurate voice recognition on phones for years.

Siri is only doing a few things differently. This includes:

-Contextual commands with a little more variety than the competition. Eg. "wake me in one hour"

-Some funny responses when you ask it weird questions

-Deep integration with system applications.

Other than that, Siri is nothing new. This should by no means be a selling point for anyone to buy a phone.

Ask it "How to tie a tie"

It returns with a google search. Just with a different interface. It will not actually tell you.

Aside from the commands that interact directly with the OS, that's all it really is. It's a Google search that presents the information neatly.

The voice technology is not new, or any more accurate than other current voice detection software. All the phone is doing is converting your voice to text. The text is sent off to Apple's servers to be processed, and for a command to be sent back. There are trigger words that define the context. Eg. "where is", "wake me up", "what's the weather", "play this album".

Is it currently the best voice command software on a phone? Yes.

Is this amazing new technology? No. But props to apple for integrating it deeply and making it easy and intuitive. But in the end, Siri is either controlling a limited amount of system apps, or it's doing a Google search and displaying the most relevant info based on your search
  • Reply 100 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

He's completely right though. We've had accurate voice recognition on phones for years.

Um? yeah! Without accurate voice recognition none of what Siri does in processing natural language would be pointless. You people really want to make NLP out to be nothing simply because it's in the iPhone. Pathetic!