Bill Gates not bothered by Steve Jobs's comments in biography

245

Comments

  • majortom1981majortom1981 Posts: 305member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzzMega View Post


    Gates is forever condemned to existing in a world filled with creativity, song, dance, photography, cinematography, acting, graphics, grace, emotion, love and the exquisite rhythms of art, while counting his money, attending to technicalities, and keeping his namesakes.



    How satisfying that must feel, to him.



    Huh ? Bill gates is doing bigger things like saving lives , curing diseases, and spreading knowledge.



    His foundation donates to poor libraries to help bring in tech and internet. People cantcreate things like art or graphics of they dont have the rescources to do it or are dying from a disease.
  • technettechnet Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post


    Huh ? Bill gates is doing bigger things like saving lives , curing diseases, and spreading knowledge.



    His foundation donates to poor libraries to help bring in tech and internet. People cantcreate things like art or graphics of they dont have the rescources to do it or are dying from a disease.



    Here Here!! I second that...
  • bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


    It is easy when you get paid hundreds of millions of dollars a year in dividends.



    Yeah because Bill needs that extra money. He is worth something like 55 billion. He, his kids, their kids, the grand kids and a few more generations can pretty much sit around for the next 200 years and do nothing if they want.
  • takeotakeo Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    Do great conductors matter? All the players in a symphony orchestra actually make the music, don't they. I could stand in front of them and be the human metronome, right? And the Berlin Philharmonic would sound just as good under my baton as any other fool, right?



    I assume that was meant to be rhetorical. Of course great conductors matter.
  • screamingfistscreamingfist Posts: 971member
    reading the biography has given me even more reason to despise bill gates and that empire of sh*t that is MS...
  • mactechidolmactechidol Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post


    Wait a minute.... did Jobs invent or design anything at Apple? I thought he had inventors and designers to do that, and then bought lots of startups and companies to incorporate their ideas into his product line.... kind of like Microsoft did....



    Steve had 313 patents with his name on them;



    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...tridge_D312077



    Now... Granted, he had small armies to design and develop the "inventions" but the patents speak for them selves... I think. Even if his name is on some that were just developed at Apple... Many are still his.



    Did Bill Gates invent anything? I'm sure he as a number of patents with his name on them too... So to be fair... The both did actually invent things.
  • eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post


    What did you expect him to say? I think Bill took the high road on this one. If he acted even the least bit defensive, Apple-centric sites (and their readership) would rip him a new one for being callous in the wake of Jobs' death.



    Agreed.
  • screamingfistscreamingfist Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheBestMan View Post


    Agreed, the way Gates seems to handle things between the two of them, he definitely understood social norms much better than Steve did.



    Very classy, and I'm definitely a fan of post-MS Bill Gates. Impressive human.



    'classy'? you have to read all of the comments made by Gates in the jobs bio. he truly did not 'get it' and am amazed at how stupid most of his thoughts about NeXT and Apple were.

    no class at all.

    i am not a fan of BG and never will be.
  • screamingfistscreamingfist Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Between the two of them, Gates has always been the "bigger man".



    if what is reported in the Jobs bio is true. then what you say is absolutely false.
  • jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,933member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    'classy'? you have to read all of the comments made by Gates in the jobs bio. he truly did not 'get it' and am amazed at how stupid most of his thoughts about NeXT and Apple were.

    no class at all.

    i am not a fan of BG and never will be.



    How long ago were those particular comments made? Are you condemning him over comments made 15+ years ago?
  • screamingfistscreamingfist Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post


    If anyone takes the time to watch the entire interview, you'll see that Gates is exceptionally gracious about the whole thing.



    of course. he has a 'camera' on him. same with the google guys and the 'oh i loved steve' crap. the 'public' see one side and it rarely is the truth. its all just bullsh*t politics for the masses to see.
  • gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    "Jobs asserted that Gates was a "basically unimaginative" person who "never invented anything... He just shamelessly ripped off other people's ideas."



    Upon hearing those comments, Gates spoke with ABC's This Week, and said, Yup. That's about right."







    ?NotIntendedToBeTakenAsFactualStatement
  • jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post


    None of those products would exist without Steve Jobs.



    While he did not personally sit down in a chair, design, build, test, and produce the iPad, for example, he played an integral role in making the iPad what it is today. Same goes for the iPhone, the Mac, digital music, and plenty of other things. It is easy enough to sit back and attempt to diminish his accomplishments by saying 'Really, did he invent anything?' but the fact is, he is the reason why so much has been invented?he has contributed so much to the aesthetic, ease-of-use, and functionality of technology as it is today?and that's quite amazing. His contribution can be commended as surely as Henry Ford's to the automobile.



    Digital Music? Digital Music existed for many years before Apple got into that game



    And you might want to rethink your list, there was a lot of people that invented a lot of stuff that Jobs used as a basis for "his" inventions
  • robin huberrobin huber Posts: 2,738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    I assume that was meant to be rhetorical. Of course great conductors matter.



    Yes, that was the point of my analogy. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Critics of Jobs seem to think that his role as conductor somehow diminishes the magnitude of his contribution. A position that I dispute.
  • tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Bill Gates did something no one else did. He designed a flawed product that made him billions. Windows is a service tech support industry product. It needs the PC shops to help it along. There are billions of customers out there who are not able to fix windows so they take it to a shop to remove viruses and fix dll issues. Windows is a money maker. Apple is also a money maker but Apple's products don't depend on the support industry to keep them going.



    As for Bill Gates and his comments in this thread. Really who cares. I would rather talk about the tech side of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs's companies.
  • ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Depending on which of these 2 sites you believe, Bill Gates has 9 or 54 patents w/his name and Steve Jobs has 313.







    http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ers-bill-gates



    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/res...&search=Search
  • jeffhrsnjeffhrsn Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post


    For all the things he did as part of Microsoft that I don't agree with, Bill Gates in his later years has grown into one heck of a human being.



    Let's be real...



    The fact is MELINDA Gates woke that $&@# up and inspired him to do what he does. We will never know what he would have done without her.
  • jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,269member
    Gates worked with Jobs on and off for over 30 years. To spend that much time with Steve you need to be good at letting some of the things he says just bounce off you.
  • hill60hill60 Posts: 6,965member
    Well, he couldn't really deny it as they were basically truthful statements.



    Microsoft has always been about generic products in large numbers, an amalgam of blandness designed to cater to everyone, doing just enough to achieve that.



    Much like the road Google is following with Android.



    Apple appeals to those who don't want to settle for generic imitators, they demand and get a premium for leading the "almost as good" wannabes.



    That leadership and attention to detail is down to S Jobs, the one with the vision and determination to bring it all together.



    I fail to understand how some people



    just



    don't



    get



    it!
  • gabberattackgabberattack Posts: 138member
    I bought the book first day it was available for the full retail price in a small bookseller because I think it is worth it but hat was my surprise when I found several days later the same book is sold @ BJs for 19.99 - I'd like to know how BJs got that price.
Sign In or Register to comment.