Apple remains top US smartphone maker as iPhone holds 28% share

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Which in itself is wrong because Apple doesnt manufacture the iPhone, Foxconn a chinese company does. Not one single smartphone is made in the US.

That's like saying Foxconn doesn't manufacturer iPhones, the Chinese workers and robots built by whomever do. You then reply that they are employed by Foxconn. Then I reply that Foxconn is employed by Apple, and also note that it's not uncommon for a large manufacturer like Apple to own the more expensive equipment in a manufacturing plant. Bottom line: I win.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's like saying Foxconn doesn't manufacturer iPhones, the Chinese workers and robots built by whomever do. You then reply that they are employed by Foxconn. Then I reply that Foxconn is employed by Apple, and also note that it's not uncommon for a large manufacturer like Apple to own the more expensive equipment in a manufacturing plant. Bottom line: I win.

Riddle me this batman, is the iPhone made in the US? answer is no. Its produced in China thus making it a Chinese product, regardless of what equipment Apple may own or not. There is still NO US smartphone maker however you wanna play with words and semantics. Its very easy, look at the back of your iPhone, does it say Made by Apple or Made in China? Check again. I win
  • Reply 43 of 50
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Actually all of the parts of the iPhone are manufactured in different parts of Asia. Foxconn really just assembles the parts.

The iPhone is designed in the US and that is what makes Apple an smartphone maker.

Quote:

Riddle me this batman, is the iPhone made in the US? answer is no. Its produced in China thus making it a Chinese product, regardless of what equipment Apple may own or not. There is still NO US smartphone maker however you wanna play with words and semantics.

• Reply 44 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Actually all of the parts of the iPhone are manufactured in different parts of Asia. Foxconn really just assembles the parts.

The iPhone is designed in the US and that is what makes Apple an smartphone maker.

No it makes them smartphone designers, which is exactly what it says on the back of the device.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:

No it makes them smartphone designers, which is exactly what it says on the back of the device.

If he had said 'manufacturer', you would have had one third of a point.

But you're just being pedantic.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If he had said 'manufacturer', you would have had one third of a point.

But you're just being pedantic.

But thats what the article is about and in reality there does not exist a US smartphone maker, not Apple, not Motorola, and not Palm/HP, and that sir is not a minute detail.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

His comment is odd on so many levels. Because the iPhone being created by Apple, he specifically stated Foxconn ? only Foxconn ? makes the iPhone. He doesn't think engineering as creation (he gives Foxconn that credit). He doesn't acknowledge the SW (he gives Foxconn that credit). He doesn't acknowledge the Toshiba or Samsung NAND (he gives Foxconn that credit). He doesn't acknowledge Qualcomm's MDM6610 chipset (he gives Foxconn that credit). He doesn't acknowledge the dozens of other companies or their sourced manufacturing plants for all the components in the iPhone (he gives Foxconn that credit). He specifically only acknowledges the assembly, but then falls short to give it to the human or robot workers (none of which were created by Foxconn). It's just weird for someone to imply the iPhone a Foxconn product because it's not "made in the US" as if there no such thing as a global company.

You gotta wonder (though I'm afraid to ask) how he feels about Steve Jobs since he's just a CEO that doesn't actually produce anything at Apple. \
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

His comment is odd on so many levels. Because the iPhone being created by Apple, he specifically stated Foxconn — only Foxconn — makes the iPhone. He doesn't think engineering as creation (he gives Foxconn that credit). He doesn't acknowledge the SW (he gives Foxconn that credit). He doesn't acknowledge the Toshiba or Samsung NAND (he gives Foxconn that credit). He doesn't acknowledge Qualcomm's MDM6610 chipset (he gives Foxconn that credit). He doesn't acknowledge the dozens of other companies or their sourced manufacturing plants for all the components in the iPhone (he gives Foxconn that credit). He specifically only acknowledges the assembly, but then falls short to give it to the human or robot workers (none of which were created by Foxconn). It's just weird for someone to imply the iPhone a Foxconn product because it's not "made in the US" as if there no such thing as a global company.

You gotta wonder (though I'm afraid to ask) how he feels about Steve Jobs since he's just a CEO that doesn't actually produce anything at Apple. \

Have you never taken an economics class? regardless of where the materials are brought in from its where a product is made into its final form that gets the credit for making said product. Again look at your phone, I didnt put Assembled in China, Apple did. BTW I think very highly of SJ, his ideas for what a product should be and how it should work is and that is what companies like Samsung should copy. I was very sad at his passing. Although i have a android phone, but i do own other Apple products and I'm getting an iPad soon simply because it has no equal and nothing even comes close to it, it was pure genius on the part of SJ. The android tablets are a joke at best. Does that answer your question? Apologies for the big ass image.

• Reply 49 of 50
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

You missed the way AI slanted by stating 'the top US manufacture'.

HTC and Samsung are asian...

From Nielsen: "As the smartphone market continues to expand, Android remains the most popular smartphone operating system in the United States, with 43 percent of the market, while Apple is the top smartphone manufacturer, with 28 percent of smartphone consumers sporting an Apple iPhone."
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:

Have you never taken an economics class? regardless of where the materials are brought in from its where a product is made into its final form that gets the credit for making said product. Again look at your phone, I didnt put Assembled in China, Apple did. BTW I think very highly of SJ, his ideas for what a product should be and how it should work is and that is what companies like Samsung should copy. I was very sad at his passing. Although i have a android phone, but i do own other Apple products and I'm getting an iPad soon simply because it has no equal and nothing even comes close to it, it was pure genius on the part of SJ. The android tablets are a joke at best. Does that answer your question? Apologies for the big ass image.

Legal requirements for labeling where a phone was physically assembled does not mean that Apple isn't considered a manufacturer. That's indicated by nielsens report.