Adobe confirms it will no longer develop Flash for mobile browsers

Comments

• Reply 101 of 170
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Gruber:

Apple didn’t win. Everybody won. Flash hasn’t been superseded in mobile by any sort of Apple technology. It’s been superseded by truly open web technologies. Dumping Flash will make Android better, it will make BlackBerrys better, it will make the entire web better. iOS users have been benefitting from this ever since day one, in June 2007.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/201...everybody-wins

Although I agree with Gruber's overall point, he lost me with the last, bolded sentence. We iOS users didn't "magically" have access to the full web and HTML5/video/animation playback beginning in 2007.

It hasn't been until that past year/year and a half or so that I've been able go to about 90% of my favorite websites and actually get HTML5 compliant video and animations on pages instead of the broken Flash icon. So to say that we've been benefiting since 2007 seems a bit disingenuous.

That is unless I'm not understanding his statement which I probably am
  • Reply 102 of 170
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Yes, forgive me oh great Apple. You were right in telling me what I actually want. Please forgive this humble servant my overlord. I will never think that I want anything you don't offer ever again

Are you, what... 14?
  • Reply 103 of 170
    storneostorneo Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

most of the web uses Flash.

That's not even remotely true! Show me some numbers to back up this claim, and I will listen.
  • Reply 104 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He's giving God tips on Intelligent Design telling him he needs to focus this products better starting with discontinuing the designed-by-committee platypus.

(I hope that doesn't offend anyone)

Don't start sweating milk and we're cool.
  • Reply 105 of 170
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Although I agree with Gruber's overall point, he lost me with the last, bolded sentence. We iOS users didn't "magically" have access to the full web and HTML5/video/animation playback beginning in 2007.

It hasn't been until that past year/year and a half or so that I've been able go to about 90% of my favorite websites and actually get HTML5 compliant video and animations on pages instead of the broken Flash icon. So to say that we've been benefiting since 2007 seems a bit disingenuous.

They may not be your have web sites but most design studios, interior designers and architects are still all, or partially Flash.

I guess Flash sites appealed to the above because it allowed them to parade their design prowess. I am and always have been amazed at how even high end designers have so little understanding of how the web works and how people browse. These are generally smart people but it is shocking how they were suckered into the Flash world virtually en masse.

Even writing this feels like a step back in time. Yech...
  • Reply 106 of 170
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

actually my comments about flash have less to do with Apple. it has to do with supporting 500 plus windows machines that are in constant peril due to sh*t programming by Adobe.

but i do have several android devices and flash came off the phone early on and will never be put back. i also have it on android 3.2 tablet and i use it when i feel like running the battery down.

face it, like Realplayer, Flash started out good and ended up being a total turd.

nobody could hack a machine running google chrome as the browser at the last hack attack contest thingy. Flash doesn't pose a threat like that anymore.

Flash is a total turd in OSX, but only because Apple refused to work with Adobe at improving it. Adobe worked with Microsoft, and the result has been awesome, and a driver in it's acceptance across the web.

I'm all for moving to HTML5, but we aren't quite there yet. Flash is still being used heavily, and Adobe showed us it can run fine in Android. You admit you removed it from your Android device before even giving it a chance, and you claim you only use it on your tablet when you want to run the battery down? Those two statements alone would lead me to believe you're lying about even owning an Android device.
  • Reply 107 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Are you, what... 14?

The doctors place my mental age at around 12 and tell me it more than likely won't go beyond that, doo doo head.
  • Reply 108 of 170
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Don't start sweating milk and we're cool.

I had to look that up. I know that mammary glands are, simply put, modified sebaceous glands, but I didn't know platypuses sweat milk. That species is all messed up. It's to the animal kingdom as the Fusion Garage JooJoo is to tablets.
  • Reply 109 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

do you have an android phone? or tablet?

then you can thank apple for telling you what you wanted cuz no one else was doing that till iphone.

Actually, HTC released a touch screen device prior to the iphone, and Android was in development prior to the first iphone's release as well.

The odds of phones NOT moving to touch screen candy bar style models are slim to none. Even tablets existed that resembled the sleek form factor of an ipad long before the ipad. This is an imbecilic argument. The only thing I give props to Apple for in this regard is getting the attention of the idiotic masses, and therefor getting other companies off their butts to work harder.

I won't thank Apple for Android, but I'll definitely thank them for iOS, obviously.
  • Reply 110 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

This is terrible news for savvy consumers who want the full web experience on their mobile devices.

"Terrible", "savvy", "full web experience"; I see what you did there. Satire, right?
  • Reply 111 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I had to look that up. I know that mammary glands are, simply put, modified sebaceous glands, but I didn't know platypuses sweat milk. That species is all messed up. It's to the animal kingdom as the Fusion Garage JooJoo is to tablets.

Dude, isn't it funny how you can learn something extremely interesting in the most random places? I had no idea they did that.
  • Reply 112 of 170
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I think he's just saying iOS has benefited from using HTML5 since 2007, I don't think he inferred that every website was using it.

The HTML5 video tag didn't even yet exist in 2007.

Quote:

• Reply 113 of 170
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Actually, HTC released a touch screen device prior to the iphone, and Android was in development prior to the first iphone's release as well.

Of course there were touch screen phones before the iPhone, they were terrible to use.

Quote:

The odds of phones NOT moving to touch screen candy bar style models are slim to none.

The majority of phones were not moving in that direction. The most popular phones in 2006 were the Blackberry, Palm Treo, and Windows Mobile. They all had hardware keyboards and no plans to move to become primarily touch screen phones.

Quote:

Even tablets existed that resembled the sleek form factor of an ipad long before the ipad.

The question is were they actually usable?

Quote:

I won't thank Apple for Android, but I'll definitely thank them for iOS, obviously.

Ignoring which direction Android was headed before the iPhone was launched.
  • Reply 114 of 170
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Ding dong the witch is dead, the witch is dead, ding dong. the wicked witch is dead.

Oh... sorry.
  • Reply 115 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Yay, no more choice!

This is not a "win" for anyone, although it's not the worst thing ever. I am fine with open standards that work, but for now, most of the web uses Flash.

I don't care what the iFanboys say. This is the way the world works. Guess what. Most sites use Flash. Most computers use Windows. That is how it is.

Flash is resource-intensive and full of security holes, sure. But Adobe continued to improve it on both mobile and MacOS X. Now it's cancelled for mobile. Oh well. It's not good, but it's also not the end of the world. Hopefully over the next few years, sites will settle on ONE or a few open standards, so that everyone can access the full web on mobile. Standards are important. Especially when it comes to the web. Fragmentation helps no one.

Reminds me of a poem:

"Here's to the Lazy Ones. The followers. The me-toos. The play-it-safers. The square pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things as they exist today. They're afraid of change, and they obey the status-quo.

You can quote them, disagree with them, ban them, or call them trolls. About the only thing that'll work is to ignore them. Because they will never change things. They halt progress and hold back the human race.

And while some may see them as haters of the insanely great, we see laziness. Because the people who are lazy enough to accept the world as it is - are the ones who won't change it."

• Reply 116 of 170
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Hallelujah!

Now to eliminate flash from the desktop... and anywhere and everywhere else it has infiltrated.
  • Reply 117 of 170
    Quote:

nobody could hack a machine running google chrome as the browser at the last hack attack contest thingy. Flash doesn't pose a threat like that anymore.

Flash is a total turd in OSX, but only because Apple refused to work with Adobe at improving it. Adobe worked with Microsoft, and the result has been awesome, and a driver in it's acceptance across the web.

I'm all for moving to HTML5, but we aren't quite there yet. Flash is still being used heavily, and Adobe showed us it can run fine in Android. You admit you removed it from your Android device before even giving it a chance, and you claim you only use it on your tablet when you want to run the battery down? Those two statements alone would lead me to believe you're lying about even owning an Android device.

Seriously?

IJust search something so simple next time. So many in the last year for both Windows 7 and Google Chrome. I even took the time to show you one regarding performance from a google engineer, as well as the first page link of a recent Flash security flaw on Chrome.

Quote:

Toni (Googler)

Google Employee

5/26/11

Hey everyone,

This thread is forked from "Chrome 11 - Constant Flash crashes" (http://www.google.com/support/forum/...l=en&start=160) and meant to separate everyone who is having issues with Adobe Flash being unresponsive and freezing from those having crashes.

This thread is only for investigating Flash freezing on Chrome 11.0. You should be here if you are seeing this message "The following plug-in is unresponsive: Shockwave Flash."

Quote:

Adobe patches critical Flash Player flaws after Google fixes zero-day bug in Chrome

21 September 2011

Adobe today patched critical flaws in Flash Player, a day after Google shipped its Chrome update that includes a patch for a zero-day flaw in Flash Player.

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com...bug-in-chrome/
  • Reply 118 of 170
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Who said flash was PERFECT for mobile devices? Funny how the two people who respond to me resort to making stuff up. SF claimed I was singing praise, and now you claim I'm saying it's PERFECT for mobile platforms.

I'm saying Adobe got flash to work fine in Android, and it's a total lie to say it doesn't. The transition here is simply Adobe staying modern. You guys all bash Adobe and flash, yet they are moving to HTML5 as you want, they proved flash can work fine on the most popular mobile OS, and html5 still isn't even widely adopted across mobile platforms yet. Grow a brain. You'll always complain so long as it isn't Apple, which is imbecilic to an EXTREME degree.

It seems that Adobe disagree with you don't think that Flash is "fine" enough. I am still waiting for your link to where SJ said Flash couldn't run on mobile devices. Is that just "You'll always complain so long as it is Apple, which is imbecilic to an EXTREME degree."? or is it you making shit up?! My guess is both.
  • Reply 119 of 170
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I think he's just saying iOS has benefited from using HTML5 since 2007, I don't think he inferred that every website was using it.

The HTML5 video tag didn't even yet exist in 2007.

Well, that's sorta my point. HTML5 may have been there in 2007, but we certainly weren't benefitting from it then like we are today.

It'd be like saying iPhone 4S users have been benefiting from Bluetooth 4.0 since October 2011. Well, uhh, there aren't any BT4.0 peripherals out there to use
  • Reply 120 of 170
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

I think the benefit he was referring to was not the eventual arrival of HTML5, but the exclusion of Flash. From the intro of the iPhone, iOS users have been enjoying more efficient and less power hungry devices.