Adobe manager puts partial blame on Apple for mobile Flash failure

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I thought Android was getting a good amount of traction, 50% more units running Android than Apple.

I think it's bad to have a business model that depends on near-absolute ubiquity to work. When you do achieve it, it's too easy to rest on your laurels. And then when it doesn't work, it's a painful slide to the bottom.

Heck, I still see stuttering and frame drops on Flash video, on Windows and Mac. That shouldn't be happening.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If Apple was ultimately responsible for hastening the death of Flash - as I think it was - hooray for Apple!

The more significant point is that Android had a big part to play in this too, something that Apple-bashers would never understand. Chambers says it point blank in his blog post about Android being fragmented both on a OS and hardware level... If Android is crushing iPhone as people like to say, then Flash on Android would also be crushing iPhone web and native apps, right? Ah, therein lies the rub.

Like I mentioned many times, I have expected in the past 2 years to have people raving about Flash on their Android devices. Hasn't really come up. The people I know that like Android like it because it's not Apple, the screen, Android *native apps*, rooting, etc. Not really Flash.

Adobe AIR is DOA too at this stage. Earlier this year I was wondering if I could leverage my Flash knowledge to make iOS apps. Looked at a book on how to do it with Adobe's tools, and it's not pretty.

This decade, it is native iOS and native Android coding that will give you the largest advantage in delivering app experiences. Websites optimised for "touch" is good too, but hacky unless you stay quite close to HTML5.

What Chambers didn't say is that for many people iOS and Android native coding is also a very, very good approach besides HTML5. But after 15 years in the industry and at this stage in the game, to admit this very raw truth openly without dissing Adobe is impossible.

But the field still remains wide open for someone to enable making quality apps easier than using Xcode. Remember, all HTML used to be text-editing only, and was considered the only "pure" way to do websites. This "purity" will change for apps too, and in fact has already started with Corona and other such things. Pity Adobe's tools are not considered to be on the forefront of the non-Xcode revolution.
  • Reply 23 of 127
    This is why you can't believe most of what you read in the media.

Android is supposedly the leading mobile OS on tens of millions of devices. Way ahead of ISO. So, with Google leading the way how the hell could this guy blame Apple for the failure of mobile flash?

It is an insult to reason!
  • Reply 24 of 127
    I'm surprised Android's "500,000" activations per day couldn't sustain Flash.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theguycalledtom View Post

Head to daring fireball if you want Apple's out-of-hours PR department. AI remains incredibly objective in comparison to other Apple focused sites.

I enjoy Appleinsider. However, the authors hardly compare with John Gruber. Gruber is pretty smart, and provides opinion and analysis. I am not saying the authors of this site don't have some intelligence, we'd just never know based on the chosen presentation of the material.
  • Reply 26 of 127
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nelfrancis View Post

I enjoy reading Apple insider. I really do. Even now I am typing this on my iPad2. But after reading your daily for over a year, I cannot help but detect a consistent bias in favor of Apple. This article makes it clear to me.

In most cases, your writers seem to summarize an event, trend, or story in a way that either says: "Apple was right all along" or "See, this is proof that Apple really will conquer the world." As if we really needed another data point for either view.

Are you just living in fear of falling out of Apple's good graces? Are you actually Apple employees? Or are you blinded by the light...so smitten with the Apple wave that you cannot see any signal that might minimize its stature?

It is great to get updates on what is happening in the Apple domain (although admittedly I often read about a story first on Slashdot, Ars Techica or TechCrunch before picking it up here hours or days later).

But please stop writing the articles as if you are an extension of Apple's PR department. A little objectivity would restore quite a bit of your objectivity.

Respectfully,

Neil Francis

Well some of your points are valid, you hardly dispel why Jobs got it wrong in his well thought out explanation of why Apple doesn't support Flash. Turns out Adobe essentially admitted Jobs was right by claiming having to support multiple platforms turned out to be too much for Adobe.
  • Reply 27 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Android is supposedly the leading mobile OS on tens of millions of devices. Way ahead of ISO. So, with Google leading the way how the hell could this guy blame Apple for the failure of mobile flash?

Yeah it seems that android fragmentation also played a large role in flash's failure on mobile.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

how can they blame anyone but themselves honestly...
  • Reply 29 of 127
    "Blame"?! I think they mean "praise".
  • Reply 30 of 127
    Hey Marvin

Do you still want to tell me that killing mobile flash was just a matter of timing and not a matter of competition.

Timing? Really?
  • Reply 31 of 127
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chambers admitted that it is "very clear" that HTML5 is now the solution for providing "a richer browser based experience" across browsers on mobile devices. "No matter what we did, the Flash Player was not going to be available on Apple?s iOS anytime in the foreseeable future," he said.

I think he meant, "No matter what we said..." not did. I mean, it's not like they really did all that much to make Flash great on the mobile platforms. How many years was it before 10.1? And that one was only barely adequate.
  • Reply 32 of 127
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Now only if restaurants finally got rid of their flash sites we could all kiss the flash era good bye.

Just do what I do.

Look for a support email address usually found under "contact us".

Write telling them as their website is not accessible you won't be using their business but will go to one of their competitors (include some links to examples if you want).

If enough people do this then they just might get the message and come to their senses.
  • Reply 33 of 127
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

I enjoy reading Apple insider. I really do. Even now I am typing this on my iPad2. But after reading your daily for over a year, I cannot help but detect a consistent bias in favor of Apple. This article makes it clear to me.

In most cases, your writers seem to summarize an event, trend, or story in a way that either says: "Apple was right all along" or "See, this is proof that Apple really will conquer the world." As if we really needed another data point for either view.

Are you just living in fear of falling out of Apple's good graces? Are you actually Apple employees? Or are you blinded by the light...so smitten with the Apple wave that you cannot see any signal that might minimize its stature?

It is great to get updates on what is happening in the Apple domain (although admittedly I often read about a story first on Slashdot, Ars Techica or TechCrunch before picking it up here hours or days later).

But please stop writing the articles as if you are an extension of Apple's PR department. A little objectivity would restore quite a bit of your objectivity.

Respectfully,

Neil Francis

Hi Neil, welcome to the forum.

Apple was right all along regarding Flash.

Have a nice day.
  • Reply 34 of 127
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    But...but..but... all the Fandroids since like... forever... have been whining that Flash will kill iOS.

oh... wait...
  • Reply 35 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

But...but..but... all the Fandroids since like... forever... have been whining that Flash will kill iOS.

oh... wait...

never saw that argument...ever...

bragging about flash? sure some did...

most just enjoyed the option of turning it on when it was necessary.

but I don't recall anyone saying that the lack of flash will destroy iOS.

then again mindless fanboys being mindless fanboys (true mindless fanboys, not people like me who hardly scratch the surface) I wouldn't be shocked if someone did say that. But it wouldn't be big enough to make a general statement like that.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

never saw that argument...ever...

bragging about flash? sure some did...

most just enjoyed the option of turning it on when it was necessary.

Here are a couple…
    And those are recent. You get back to 2007 when the iPhone won't have Flash Lite and you'll see a lot more blatant remarks about how the iPhone, along with its keyboard-less HW, will never take off.
    In addition, Flash has not performed well on mobile devices. We have routinely asked Adobe to show us Flash performing well on a mobile device, any mobile device, for a few years now. We have never seen it. ~Steve Jobs, April 2010:
  • Reply 37 of 127
    So I would guess that by acknowledging the change that has happened in the landscape, saying "foreseeable future" and putting more resources toward HTML 5 Development, Adobe has begun their transition period. Mobile is growing. As the Mac OS and Windows move to their next iterations (Win8, Mac OS Xi (?)), the convergence will continue. By setting their path know, Adobe is actually better preparing themselves for the eventual death of Flash as a delivery tool, and focusing on turning it into a development platform for web and apps. Sites will get rewritten, will drop Flash in favor of HTML 5, and we all, including Adobe, will be better off as a result.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    Quote:

Chill. That's way too deep and angsty for this site. It's a pro-Apple news, rumor, and occasionally rampant speculation/unicorn-milking web site. As Steve Jobs once said verily, "what you see is what you get." (Jobs 39:43).

Quote:

But why? What is the purpose of "objectivity"? Can you even measure it objectively? If you can, then what is the unit of measure for objectivity? Is there an instrument for measuring objectivity? I don't think it exists, because the claim of "objectivity" itself is a subjective judgment. If you apply a subjective judgment about a website's "objectivity," are you not therefore guilty of lacking objectivity yourself? Did I just blow your mind???
  • Reply 39 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Chill. That's way too deep and angsty for this site. It's a pro-Apple news, rumor, and occasionally rampant speculation/unicorn-milking web site. As Steve Jobs once said verily, "what you see is what you get." (Jobs 39:43).

But why? What is the purpose of "objectivity"? Can you even measure it objectively? If you can, then what is the unit of measure for objectivity? Is there an instrument for measuring objectivity? I don't think it exists, because the claim of "objectivity" itself is a subjective judgment. If you apply a subjective judgment about a website's "objectivity," are you not therefore guilty of lacking objectivity yourself? Did I just blow your mind???

Now that was Prime Choice!!
  • Reply 40 of 127
    Flash? Steve Who? Its all old news now.