Galaxy Nexus web benchmarks outpace iPhone 4S as 'Woz' picks up early copy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 135
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I looked at the video of the Galaxy Nexus and I have to say that it looks like a very nice phone. But I like my iPhone because it syncs with my Mac very well and the Nexus won't.
  • Reply 22 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

10 phones? Why, to call himself? It's not like anyone else is calling him.

That's just a nasty and immature comment to say. It tells us more about you than Woz. How do you know who calls him, and even if you did, why would you be so publicly derogatory about it.
  • Reply 23 of 135
    After all is said and done, keep in mind that Apple is selling all the phones it can make. I wouldn't change a thing until that accomplishment changes.

My 4S works wonderfully, it's fast and I just love Siri.

I hope this phone lasts forever.
  • Reply 24 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Anything running Android = shit.

Yes because no OS can possibly change. If an OS has issues at launch they can never be fixed. they will always be there. That is why iOS does not have tethering, multitasking, MMS, installable apps, facetime, icloud, ibooks, and the notifications are the same. Yep you can never improve an OS.

Get the point, OSs change and you have to approach each release as a fresh mindset. Although it is hard to let go of the past let downs but it is not possible. Android 4.0 does not equal the past release and should not be treated as such. Android is still a popular OS and millions of people are choosing and enjoying it.
  • Reply 25 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to the report, its CPUs are clocked "noticeably higher" than the iPhone 4S' own 800 MHz processors.

...and that would be important if if they were using the same processor, but they aren't.

-kpluck
  • Reply 26 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

If we get more "nexus" like android device then Apple will really need to come up with something amazing for their next phone. This is really starting to look good. I think for now I will go with a Galaxy Nexus and maybe next year depending on how the T-Mobile+AT&T merger ends I will go to the iPhone. (I have conflicting interest in both companies , )

It still runs android. I don't see what's good about it. All core problems are still there.
  • Reply 27 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

...and that would be important if if they were using the same processor, but they aren't.

-kpluck

Same or not, but the differencebetween CPUs is not that big and CPU clock speed makes a huge difference.
  • Reply 28 of 135
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

That's just a nasty and immature comment to say. It tells us more about you than Woz. How do you know who calls him, and even if you did, why would you be so publicly derogatory about it.

Its hard to hate Woz; the guy is a geek at heart, and it shows

Quote:

-kpluck

While they're not the same processor per se, both the A5 and the OMAP 4460 are based on the A9 and built on the same process node. So comparing clock speeds should be a viable way of assessing general relative performance.
  • Reply 29 of 135
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Not many people care about such numbers, 80% of consumers buy things that their friends tell them to or they see in an Ad. They do care, though, how easy it is to use or what they get out of it.
  • Reply 30 of 135
    Quote:

You do realize he is still one of the most recognized faces in the information technology sector. In fact, we have a street in San Jose named for Woz.

Wozniak co-founded Wheels of Zeus, a wireless GPS technology company (now defunct)

Board of Directors of Ripcord Networks, Inc.

Board of Directors of Danger, Inc.

Wozniak founded Acquicor Technology, a holding company for technology companies

Wozniak is currently the chief scientist for Fusion-io

Recently, Wozniak delivered the keynote presentation at IP EXPO at Earls Court Exhibition Centre in London as well as the keynote at "Rutgers Entrepreneurship Day" at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
  • Reply 31 of 135
    Its sad to Woz get caught getting a Nexus if Steve was around he probably would of thought twice perhaps this a sign of things to come from Apple not good.. and to be honest I actually like the new Nexus.
  • Reply 32 of 135
    The Android camp keeps throwing everything they've got at the 4S and they still can't bump it off its perch. Hell, they can't even bump the 4 off its perch.

So, what's going to happen in 2012 when the totally redesigned v6 iPhone goes on sale and the 4S and 4 get bumped down into the $99 and $49 (or less) price points. I'll guarantee an average of 30 million iPhones per quarter over 4 quarters for Apple while Samsung hits a wall.

So keep throwing those specs out there guys... it won't mean a damn thing a year from now. Actually, anyone with any sense can see it doesn't mean a damn thing now.
  • Reply 33 of 135
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Anything running Android = shit.

I wouldn't say that - I have no doubt that Android is very high quality spyware. If you don't mind Google knowing everything about you and selling your soul to advertisers, then Android is for you.

As for myself, I plan on staying as far away from Google's evil as I can.

Back to the topic of the article, I don't get the Nexus hype. The Nexus is only 1.12x to 1.2x faster in CPU tasks, which nobody will even be able to notice without running some type of spec diagnostic on it, yet the 4S is 2.5x to 2.7x faster in GPU tasks, which should be extremely noticeable.

The peculiar thing about the CPU benchmarks is that they are both based on dual core ARM Corete-A9, but the Nexus operates at 1.5x the clock rate of the 4S yet achieves only 1.12x to 1.2x the performance (according to these specs). If true, something else in the Nexus hardware or in Android is really dogging it down. Given the dramatically higher clock rate of the Nexus, one would expect it to have noticeably shorter battery life. (But of course the 4S has some yet-to-be-overcome battery issues of its own that may negate its efficiency advantage.)

Given that the A5 in the iPad2 has 1.25x the clock rate of the 4S and given the commensurate GPU performance advantage over the 4S as shown, I wonder what its CPU numbers would look like compared to the 4S & Nexus? I rather suspect it would be on par even though the Nexus still has 1.2x the clock rate of the iPad. All the more remarkable given that the Nexus has 2x the RAM of the iPhone & the iPad.

More to come I'm sure, but taken at face value this spec report does not look like an endorsement of either the Galaxy Nexus or the OMAP 4460 powering it. Given the strong similarities in the hardware other than the clock rates, RAM, & GPU architectures, I'm inclined to think this indicates that Android is much less efficient than iOS.

At least as far as user performance is concerned. I'm quite confident that Android is the more efficient spyware for its masters.
  • Reply 34 of 135
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I really like The Galaxy Nexus. It looks like it will be my next phone....

Too bad the 4s was not 4G... That and a few other things were the deciding factors for me...

The Galaxy Nexus isn't 4G either, so I fail to see what purpose your feigned outrage serves.
  • Reply 35 of 135
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

-kpluck

Given that they are both based on the dual core ARM Coretex-A9, yes it is significant. Still not one-to-one comparable designs to be sure, but relative clock rate is definitely a major factor. Note that the Galaxy Nexus spec page lists its clock rate as 1.2GHz, or 1.5x the 800MHz of the 4S. The difference in the spec numbers should have been much greater.
  • Reply 36 of 135
    While the benchmark performance is considerable it isn't relevant for most users since Android still has the same core issues. Until the issues are resolved, Android isn't a mobile OS for the masses despite being the most widely deployed OS. Most of these issues are related to the same single problem:

Battery life (caused by many of the issues listed below)

Bloatware

Cross-platform fertilization

Differentiation (or lack of for the ODMs)

Ecosystem (relative lack of a good ecosystem)

Flawed business model

Fragmentation

Multi-tasking (poor implementation most users don't understand)

Security

Technology for the sake of technology (rather than actual user demand or need)

User Experience

Google's business model will lead to Android being the leading smartphone OS by market share but will concede profit share to Apple. In fact, we already see this trend so this shouldn't surprise anyone. While Microsoft's model lead to runaway success, Microsoft has failed to innovate in many markets which will eventually occur to Google Android. Unfortunately for Google they will not concede and will continue to bleed money from Android for many years.
  • Reply 37 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

I wouldn't say that - I have no doubt that Android is very high quality spyware. If you don't mind Google knowing everything about you and selling your soul to advertisers, then Android is for you.

Exactly what I was getting at. OS X is my favorite operating system, but if Google created it or hijacked it, I'd quit using it immediately.
  • Reply 38 of 135
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    No offense to AI, but I don't have a clue what those benchmark numbers even mean.

I want to know how it performs. How will it feel in my hand? Does it have artificial intelligence? A vibrant app store? How about music and magazines? How well does it integrate with the cloud? Is the screen as beautiful as it is big? Does the camera system deliver beautiful photos?

I'm sure a benchmark of 9895757893838 kicks ass, but to me it seems to be a waste of reporting because the consumer walks away without learning anything relevant.
  • Reply 39 of 135
    Quote:

Apparently Google calls him which is more than can be said for you. Your sig also displays how much of know nothing you are. Congratulations.
  • Reply 40 of 135
    I'm not a mathematician but I am pretty sure that 5 comes after 4 and 6 comes after 5.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The Android camp keeps throwing everything they've got at the 4S and they still can't bump it off its perch. Hell, they can't even bump the 4 off its perch.

So, what's going to happen in 2012 when the totally redesigned v6 iPhone goes on sale and the 4S and 4 get bumped down into the $99 and $49 (or less) price points. I'll guarantee an average of 30 million iPhones per quarter over 4 quarters for Apple while Samsung hits a wall.

So keep throwing those specs out there guys... it won't mean a damn thing a year from now. Actually, anyone with any sense can see it doesn't mean a damn thing now.