Apple seeds iOS 5.1 beta to developers

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has released a new iOS 5.1 beta for developer testing on all iPad, iPod touch and iPhone models that support iOS 5.0. The beta contains references to next-generation iPhone and iPad models.

Update: Twitter user Filippo Bigarella uncovered references to a next-generation iPhone, "iPhone5,1," as well as third-generation iPad models, "iPad3,2" and "iPad3,3."

References to an apparent unreleased iPad 2 model, labeled "iPad2,4" have also been discovered in the beta release, according to MacNN. Current second-generation iPad models range from "iPad2,1" to "iPad2,3." It has been suggested that the unreleased version may have been developed for an additional carrier partner, such as Sprint.

The new build, designated as 9B5117b, must be downloaded from Apple as it is not yet available through over the air updates as previous developer builds have been.

The 5.1 software includes enhanced dictation support during text input "on supported devices," something that has currently been limited to iPhone 4S, the only iOS device that supports Siri. Nothing in Apple's notes to developers suggests that Sir will be expanded to other devices, but the phrasing leaves open the possibility that at least the speech recognition portion of Siri's technology could be added to iPod touch, iPad and earlier iPhone models.

Adding basic speech recognition features across all iOS 5 devices would bring Apple's offering into parity with Google's Android and Microsoft's Windows Phone 7, both of which include basic speech recognition features, although reviewers note that Apple's Siri performs both more accurate recognition and far more sophisticated actions based on recognized speech.

Apple warns developers that the new build, once installed on a device, can not be rolled back to previous versions of iOS, likely due to baseband firmware changes. The company also warns that unauthorized use of the developer beta could result (for the same reasons) in an unstable device, possibly necessitating repairs that are not covered under any iOS device warranty.

The latest version of iOS requires the use of the newest Xcode 4.3 developer preview toolset for building third party apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Now we're talkin'. I was beginning to worry I'd have to keep 4.3.5 on my iPhone 4 forever
  • Reply 2 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Developing...

Seriously developing went out of style with silver based photography!
  • Reply 3 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The latest version 5.whatever is working fine on my iPad, no problems at all really. I'm liking the new gestures and find myself using them often instead of the home button.

The only minor thing is that I often have to disable the gestures because they trigger false moves, like closing the app that I'm using by accident, when I use certain apps that requires many fingers on the screen.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    "Developing"? LOL!
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously developing went out of style with silver based photography!

Along with photodevelopment booths...
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Hm.. Okay so in this article I learned that in IOS beta 5.1 they are adding the feature advanced dictation. And some irrelivent info about how Siri is not on other apple products. Any other information on what features or security "improvement" will be added would be greatly appreciated.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darknlight55 View Post

Hm.. Okay so in this article I learned that in IOS beta 5.1 they are adding the feature advanced dictation. And some irrelivent info about how Siri is not on other apple products. Any other information on what features or security "improvement" will be added would be greatly appreciated.

At least on the 4S the baseband firmware goes from v1.0.13 to v1.2.01-1. That is a pretty significant jump for firmware for a point update so I have to think the battery life issue might have been caused by the baseband firmware.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The latest version 5.whatever is working fine on my iPad, no problems at all really. I'm liking the new gestures and find myself using them often instead of the home button.

The only minor thing is that I often have to disable the gestures because they trigger false moves, like closing the app that I'm using by accident, when I use certain apps that requires many fingers on the screen.

Gestures are fantastic. Best part about 5.0 on my iPad for sure.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    LLVM/Clang reaches the 3.0 milestone on 30 November 2011.

The next release, 3.1 is targeted for 6 months and will complete the entire C++ 2011 specification plus much more.

LLVM/Clang 3.0 is a big bump from the 2.x branch.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I hope this doesn't mean there won't be an iOS 5.0.2. I'd like to have the battery issues on my 4S fixed soon.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

I hope this doesn't mean there won't be an iOS 5.0.2. I'd like to have the battery issues on my 4S fixed soon.

Because the 5.1 update couldn't possibly have those fixes rolled into it?? \
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Because the 5.1 update couldn't possibly have those fixes rolled into it?? \

I think his comment is regarding timeframe. Tertiary version updates tend to be rolled out much faster than secondary updates.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think his comment is regarding timeframe. Tertiary version updates tend to be rolled out much faster than secondary updates.

Fair enough, I guess I misunderstood that aspect of it. I tend to agree, as well. No reason we couldn't see a 5.0.2 between now and the final release of 5.1.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Twitter user Filippo Bigarella uncovered references to a next-generation iPhone, "iPhone5,1,"

Surely iPhone 5 is what came out after iPhone 4 no matter what they call it.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Twitter user Filippo Bigarella uncovered references to a next-generation iPhone, "iPhone5,1,"

I don't have one to test but I suppose the 4s is a iPhone4,3
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Common sense says there will never be an "iPhone 5", no matter how much people on the Internet whine about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

I don't have one to test but I suppose the 4s is a iPhone4,3

The 4S is 4,1.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Any improvements to the (terrible, especially on iPad) music app?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Common sense says there will never be an "iPhone 5"

Utterly lacking in common sense. Apple will do whatever they want, the general public expects the one after 4 (or 4XYZ whatever) to be 5 and doesn't care about silly obscurities. Or were you trying to be sarcastic or make some sort of joke that didn't come across?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Utterly lacking in common sense. Apple will do whatever they want, the general public expects the one after 4 (or 4XYZ whatever) to be 5 and doesn't care about silly obscurities.

The general public didn't raise a fuss when Apple didn't release the iPhone 2.

And if you can give me just one logical reason "iPhone 5" makes sense as a name, I'll give up my argument.

It's not the 5th iPhone. It won't have an A5 chip. It won't run iOS 5. It won't have 5G telephony.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The general public didn't raise a fuss when Apple didn't release the iPhone 2.

And if you can give me just one logical reason "iPhone 5" makes sense as a name, I'll give up my argument.

It's not the 5th iPhone. It won't have an A5 chip. It won't run iOS 5. It won't have 5G telephony.

I support this post.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Apple should do away with the numbering scheme.

IF the next iPhone has a larger screen just call it "iPhone"

Call the budget phone (probably a 4S or 4) the "iPhone mini" or iPhone Lite (probably not Lite, but you know what I mean).

Then going forward it would just be "The New iPhone" at every launch.