iPhone 4S is Apple's most popular phone yet with 96% satisfaction rate

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The iPhone 4S carries the highest customer satisfaction ratings of any Apple smartphone yet, with a new survey finding that 96 percent of users consider themselves satisfied with their purchase.



The latest data from ChangeWave Research, released on Thursday, shows that 77 percent of respondents indicated they are "very satisfied" with their iPhone 4S. Another 19 percent said they are "somewhat satisfied," while just 2 percent fell into the "unsatisfied" category.



That compares to a survey conducted just after the launch of the iPhone 4, when 72 percent of Apple customers indicated they were "very satisfied" with their purchase, and 21 percent chose "somewhat satisfied." By besting the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S has become Apple's most popular phone yet, garnering the highest approval ratings.



Customers were also asked what their favorite specific features of the iPhone 4S are, and Siri came in first with 49 percent. Second place was ease of use with 39 percent, and the new 8-megapixel camera took third with 33 percent.



Faster Web browsing, powered by the A5 chip in the iPhone 4S, was the fourth most popular feature at 24 percent, the high-resolution Retina Display took fifth with 23 percent, and the newly launched iCloud service was in sixth with 19 percent.



As for what users don't like about the iPhone 4S, 38 percent said their most disliked feature is that the battery life is too short. Apple has already issued one update in an attempt to address battery life bugs, and the company is already at work on another update in the form of iOS 5.1.







ChangeWave took a closer look at the dropped call issue and found that only 8 percent of iPhone 4S owners said it was a "very big problem." Another 20 percent indicated battery life on the iPhone 4S was "somewhat of a problem.



The second most disliked aspect of the iPhone 4S is its lack of high-speed 4G data connectivity, 30 percent of respondents said. Coming in third was the screen size at 11 percent, network coverage took fourth with 9 percent, and excessive dropped calls was at 8 percent.







With regard to dropped calls, the survey also found that the dropped call rate on the iPhone 4S is about half that of the iPhone 4. That number was aided by the inclusion of Verizon as a carrier at launch, as ChangeWave found that Verizon iPhone 4S users experienced significantly fewer dropped calls than those on AT&T.



The survey was conducted Nov. 2 through Nov. 9 and a total of 215 iPhone 4S owners were polled.
«13

Comments

  • jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 212member
    I bought one for my daughter. She is very satisfied. Last night, when she read how hidden bots on Android phones monitor every action on the phone, she's more satisfied with the iPhone. I trust that Apple is not monitoring every action on iPhones ...
  • matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I'm completely dissatified with unavaillibilty of iphone 4S in my country.
  • jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,016member
    click bait headline should be: Apple iPhone 4S users not 100% satisfied. it's a failure!



    I love my iphone 4s.
  • umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    Well, you know, imagination of advertising people can be surprising : competitors may say that the third derivative of iPhone users satisfaction rate has dropped (although I cannot say anything myself about it, and I am pretty sure neither they or the general public would understand what it is about).
  • jamesthelesserjamesthelesser Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post




    The second most disliked aspect of the iPhone 4S is its lack of high-speed 4G data connectivity, 30 percent of respondents said.




    Frankly, this is more of an AT&T issue than an iP4S problem. If AT&T could deliver faster and more consistent HSPA+ speeds, I don't think the vast majority of people would care that the phone wasn't LTE. (Of course, I can understand the Verizon and Sprint iP4S user pain, though )



    When I'm lucky and can pull 4-5 Mbps down on the HSPA+ network, I find the phone to be incredibly fast. The problem is that I can rarely get those types of speeds in my area...and my guess is that many people are in the same boat.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post




    Coming in third was the screen size at 11 percent...




    Unless Apple decide to have a range of screen sizes, you'll never be able to satisfy everyone. Personally, I'd like a 4 inch screen, but I'd rather have the retina display.
  • electrotechelectrotech Posts: 80member
    Didn't all the pundits and tech writers and analysts say that the iPhone 4S was a complete failure and a terrible disappointment? Everything about it was bad and it wasn't nearly as good as any Android phone?
  • digitalclipsdigitalclips Posts: 15,165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post


    I bought one for my daughter. She is very satisfied. Last night, when she read how hidden bots on Android phones monitor every action on the phone, she's more satisfied with the iPhone. I trust that Apple is not monitoring every action on iPhones ...



    It is an option in settings in iOS.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post


    Didn't all the pundits and tech writers and analysts say that the iPhone 4S was a complete failure and a terrible disappointment? Everything about it was bad and it wasn't nearly as good as any Android phone?





    Of course! LOL
  • wingswings Posts: 261member
    "ChangeWave found that Verizon iPhone 4S users experienced significantly fewer dropped calls than those on AT&T"



    Totally opposite to my experience. Before I got an iPhone I was on Verizon (with a couple of different phones). From my house to the nearest tower is 3/4 mile, but I had so many dropped calls ("Call was lost") that Verizon allowed me to terminate my contract with no termination fee. My first iPhone with ATT had some dropped calls but not nearly what I had with Verizon. After about 6 months of that my dropped calls essentially stopped. I have zero complaints with dropped calls on ATT, no matter where I go (unless of course I completely leave a service area, which is rare).
  • bullheadbullhead Posts: 492member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post


    Didn't all the pundits and tech writers and analysts say that the iPhone 4S was a complete failure and a terrible disappointment? Everything about it was bad and it wasn't nearly as good as any Android phone?



    Yep, and now they say sales are slipping...no one is buying them.



    And they are still saying Nokia's cloner Windows Phones are going to save the platform even though no one is buying them. Now that the Mango update marketing propaganda has shown to be a total lie and failure, they are saying the next generation of Nokia cloner Windows Phones are going to be the best and sell like hotcakes...
  • constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    I'd sure be interested in having a similar user satisfaction poll for various Android smartphones to see how close they come to the iPhone. Since Android fanbois claim that high-end Android smartphones are every bit as good and maybe better than the iPhone is, I'm guessing user satisfaction for those smartphones would pretty much match or exceed the iPhone's. \



    They shouldn't include the low-end Android smartphones in the poll because chances are those low-end models would be far below iPhone cost and standards to be fair.
  • ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


    I'm completely dissatified with unavaillibilty of iphone 4S in my country.



    I am with my wife saying that i will NOT buy nothing from Apple so soon.

    The budget, she said.

    ? Allows NOT.
  • lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post


    I am with my wife saying that i will NOT buy nothing from Apple so soon.

    The budget, she said.

    ? Allows NOT.



    In some countries, this would be grounds for divorce
  • jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The iPhone 4S carries the highest customer satisfaction ratings of any Apple smartphone yet, with a new survey finding that 96 percent of users consider themselves satisfied with their purchase.



    The latest data from ChangeWave Research, released on Thursday, shows that 77 percent of respondents indicated they are "very satisfied" with their iPhone 4S. Another 19 percent said they are "somewhat satisfied," while just 2 percent fell into the "unsatisfied" category.



    That compares to a survey conducted just after the launch of the iPhone 4, when 72 percent of Apple customers indicated they were "very satisfied" with their purchase, and 21 percent chose "somewhat satisfied." By besting the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S has become Apple's most popular phone yet, garnering the highest approval ratings.



    I really wish that people would learn to use terminology correctly. "Most popular phone" would be the one that is used by more people - i.e., the iPhone 4.



    What they mean is that the 4S is the phone with the highest customer satisfaction rate.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesTheLesser View Post


    Frankly, this is more of an AT&T issue than an iP4S problem. If AT&T could deliver faster and more consistent HSPA+ speeds, I don't think the vast majority of people would care that the phone wasn't LTE. (Of course, I can understand the Verizon and Sprint iP4S user pain, though )



    I disagree. There are a huge number of people who are swayed by silly games and hype. Look at how many people said the 4S was no big deal - simply because it looked like the iPhone 4. Many people are driven by show. Being able to show a new case is more important to them than having a far better phone inside the old case. Similarly, being able to brag about having a 4G/LTE phone is more important to them than actual performance.



    I believe it was during the 3G introduction when studies showed that AT&T's EDGE was faster than some competitors 3G phone (although it may have been AT&T's 3G against competitor's 4G performance early after 4G introduction). People were still complaining about not having the feature - even though AT&T's "old" technology was faster. Even today, you'll see people living in an area that doesn't get 4G who will still insist that they 'need' it.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post


    Didn't all the pundits and tech writers and analysts say that the iPhone 4S was a complete failure and a terrible disappointment? Everything about it was bad and it wasn't nearly as good as any Android phone?



    Just one more reason why you shouldn't listen to pundits and tech writers.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post


    "ChangeWave found that Verizon iPhone 4S users experienced significantly fewer dropped calls than those on AT&T".



    This survey was reported a while ago. It turns out that when you look at the error bars, there's very little difference between AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint.
  • rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post


    I am with my wife saying that i will NOT buy nothing from Apple so soon.

    The budget, she said.

    ? Allows NOT.



    You could start with an iPod shuffle, it's only 50 bugs? \
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    I really wish that people would learn to use terminology correctly. "Most popular phone" would be the one that is used by more people - i.e., the iPhone 4.



    Popular is an ambiguous term. It can simply mean liked or admired. It doesn't have to include usage.
  • rugby_kidrugby_kid Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post


    I'd sure be interested in having a similar user satisfaction poll for various Android smartphones to see how close they come to the iPhone. Since Android fanbois claim that high-end Android smartphones are every bit as good and maybe better than the iPhone is, I'm guessing user satisfaction for those smartphones would pretty much match or exceed the iPhone's. \



    They shouldn't include the low-end Android smartphones in the poll because chances are those low-end models would be far below iPhone cost and standards to be fair.



    You would actually have to go by each manufacturer and even then by each individual phone. Kind of a hard comparison to do though.
  • techguy911techguy911 Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post


    I bought one for my daughter. She is very satisfied. Last night, when she read how hidden bots on Android phones monitor every action on the phone, she's more satisfied with the iPhone. I trust that Apple is not monitoring every action on iPhones ...



    CarrierIQ is also reported to be on iPhones. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57...o-hacker-says/
  • nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    It is a bit early in the game to take this too seriously. Most people love new gadgets when they first get them. People only tend to frustrated with them over time. Conducting the same survey in 6 months time will give a better idea of satisfaction levels.



    And get rid of the "somewhat satisfied" option. What does that mean? I am somewhat satisfied with my Android phone but will be going with another manufacturer when my contract runs out. And I was very satisfied with it when I first bought it.



    If someone is "somewhat satisfied" aren't they then also "somewhat unsatisfied"



    Very Satisfied, Satisfied, Unsatisfied, Very Unsatisfied - much better choices.
  • jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post


    CarrierIQ is also reported to be on iPhones. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57...o-hacker-says/



    perhaps, but you can turn it off unlike Android.
  • pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post


    It is a bit early in the game to take this too seriously. Most people love new gadgets when they first get them. People only tend to frustrated with them over time. Conducting the same survey in 6 months time will give a better idea of satisfaction levels.



    And get rid of the "somewhat satisfied" option. What does that mean? I am somewhat satisfied with my Android phone but will be going with another manufacturer when my contract runs out. And I was very satisfied with it when I first bought it.



    If someone is "somewhat satisfied" aren't they then also "somewhat unsatisfied"



    Very Satisfied, Satisfied, Unsatisfied, Very Unsatisfied - much better choices.



    what's wrong with that CNET site?



    almost all of the posters (regular ones) must be crazy! in fact, in almost every tech forum i go, there are lots of posts bashing apple, posters saying that they have faster stuff at half the price, etc. it's crazy! can someone explain why apple is so hated by those tech posters? they even say imaginery stuff (like i already have a 4S with iOS 5.1 and it sucks. batery sucks. it all sucks) just to bash apple.
Sign In or Register to comment.