Apple makes Logic Pro 9, MainStage 2 exclusively available through Mac App Store

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has discontinued boxed versions of its Logic Pro and MainStage, making the titles exclusively available through the Mac App Store alongside its Aperture and Final Cut Pro apps targeted at professionals.

The move shifts Logic Pro from a $499 physical package to being just $199 as a digital download, the same price as the former Logic Express, which is no longer available.

Logic Pro is delivered as a 413 MB app, but can download 19 GB of additional content, including loops and instruments, from within the app after it is obtained.

The formerly bundled MainStage (used in orchestrating live performances) is now available on its own for $29.99. MainStage can also import settings from the less expensive GarageBand for live shows.

Still missing is Soundtrack Pro, which was once bundled with both Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro but is not yet available in any form from the App Store.

A report from September indicated Apple was working to complete a new version its professional audio software to be dubbed Logic Pro X, but new digital version is the same release the company had been shipping as a physical package on DVDs.

Apple had previously updated Logic Pro to a 64-bit app in January of 2010, something it did not do for Final Cut prior to bringing it to the Mac App Store as the extensively rewritten Final Cut Pro X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Logic Pro for $199? Wow, that's a nice price.

Logic was $1000 not that many years ago.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Logic is the reason I switched from Windows to Mac (having been a Sonar user).

Fantastic software now at a stunning price. I'm interested to see what Logic Pro X turns out like....
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Logic is the reason I switched from Windows to Mac (having been a Sonar user).

Fantastic software now at a stunning price. I'm interested to see what Logic Pro X turns out like....

That is basically why I switched to Mac too...having a reliable platform for a great DAW. However, I think Sonar was great software. It's only problem is that it ran on Windows. If there was a mature version of Sonar for Mac that would be a superb DAW.

I wonder how far out Logic Pro X is now. It would seem strange to move Logic Pro 9 to the App Store with a great low price and then replace it shortly thereafter with Logic Pro X. So it would seem like Logic Pro X is still not coming for a while.

We'll see.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The move shifts Logic Pro from a $499 physical package to being just $199 as a digital download?

The praise over this will turn into outright loathing when Apple releases Logic Pro X and redesigns everything. Different can't possibly be good, you know; everything must remain identical for all eternity.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    And just a short few months ago I shelled out the several hundred dollars for Logic Express... now I haven't got the money to buy this one........... crud.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    So what are the choises for leopard users?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

So what are the choises for leopard users?

None. Forced obsolescence. Get your wallet out.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Taking 60% off the price of Logic Pro is awesome in my book. I was planning to buy it when I buy a laptop in the spring, so this change is fantastic in my book
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Taking 60% off the price of Logic Pro is awesome in my book. I was planning to buy it when I buy a laptop in the spring, so this change is fantastic in my book

Sure, it's a great competitive move. I wonder if I can get a refund if I take the box back into the Apple Store?.... hmmm.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sure, it's a great competitive move. I wonder if I can get a refund if I take the box back into the Apple Store?.... hmmm.

If it was less than 14 days ago, I think you should be able to. Provided, of course, you haven't installed it. If you have, you'll probably need to e-mail (or call) a higher-up Apple rep to get everything properly deauthorized before you can get a refund to buy it on the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If it was less than 14 days ago, I think you should be able to. Provided, of course, you haven't installed it. If you have, you'll probably need to e-mail (or call) a higher-up Apple rep to get everything properly deauthorized before you can get a refund to buy it on the Mac App Store.

Good suggestions, thanks TS.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

The praise over this will turn into outright loathing when Apple releases Logic Pro X and redesigns everything. Different can't possibly be good, you know; everything must remain identical for all eternity.

There's an old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Here's another one: ?All change is not growth; as all movement is not forward.?

If Apple can re-design Logic and it's improved, you won't hear any complaints. Final Cut Pro X was simply a fail. If Steve was still around, the head of that department would be MobileMe'd.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kestral View Post

Final Cut Pro X was simply a fail. If Steve was still around, the head of that department would be MobileMe'd.

That's nonsense and you know it. You realize that Steve WAS around when it came out and obviously saw what they were doing and probably TOLD THEM to scrap Final Cut Pro 8 for X… right?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

That's nonsense and you know it. You realize that Steve WAS around when it came out and obviously saw what they were doing and probably TOLD THEM to scrap Final Cut Pro 8 for X? right?

If that was the case, then the failure called MobileMe (and DotMac, and iTools) wouldn't have happened.

Even at his most micromanaging, Steve only had so much bandwidth. In the continuum of importance, products such as Final Cut and Logic were most likely very low on Steve's priority list. So those teams did not get the attention from Steve.

Presumably at some point MobileMe wasn't as important to Steve but once it hit his radar and he turned his attention toward it, things happened very quickly (firing the MobileMe lead, putting Eddy Cue, one of his most trusted people, onto the project).

There's little evidence to show that Steve paid much attention in that area. If any attention would be paid to the pro media generation product, it would most likely be Aperture since Steve was a hobbyist photographer.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Provided, of course, you haven't installed it. If you have, you'll probably need to e-mail (or call) a higher-up Apple rep to get everything properly deauthorized before you can get a refund to buy it on the Mac App Store.

Doubtful. Apple has to be the most flexible company I have ever dealt with when it comes to serial numbers. Keep it simple - just exchange it and only jump through extra hoops if the require you. Why create extra work for yourself unnecessarily?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Final Cut Pro X was simply a fail.

LOL - let's come back in a year....
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

There's little evidence to show that Steve paid much attention in that area. If any attention would be paid to the pro media generation product, it would most likely be Aperture since Steve was a hobbyist photographer.

That has to be the stupidest rationalization for the denial of failing to see the big picture I have read about Final Cut Pro X so far.

Thanks for the laughs!

And since your copies of Final Cut Pro see to have spontaneously destroyed themselves, I'll buy those license keys off of you cheap! Some cheese to go with your whine, perhaps?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    This is good news indeed I have planned on purchasing Logic for sometime but could not justify the cost. The new price point make this very attractive but I find myself wondering what is missing. Logic Studio had 47 some odd gigs of media, and samples; so far i have seen a few references to 20 gig worth of additional content with Mainstage where is everything else?

Could someone that has procured this and Mainstage chime in here and let me know if they pruned anything off the box content. Seems like there is a bunch missing, espically when they no longer sell the jam packs. Possibly more to come?