RIM now worth less than Apple's App Store alone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If any decent rumour leaked that Apple was going to buy RiM TW stock would jump and the buy would likely be around what Google paid for Moto. Plus, does Apple really need pager patents?

Not realy, but RIM have some signal procesing patents, some security patents, and part of Nortel patents (but we don`t know are they only RIM`s, or Apple have rights to them too).
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I tell you what does Canada have left, another Canadian companies up in flames. I am not sure if RIM lost their way or Wall street killed them like they killed Nortel.

Uhm... Wall Street didn't kill Nortel. Illegal accounting practices and poor leadership killed Nortel.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Nearly everyone saw this coming. Even the tech financial analysts that were desperately trying to stay a little positive about RIM have thrown in the towel. Not good.

The two bozos at the top have crapped the bed big-time. Over and over again. I'm not impressed that they're only taking $1 a year salary now, because it's still $1 too much.

I really feel for the RIM employees. There are a lot of good people who work hard and support their families who are going to be hurt. RIM has been very generous to the community, research groups and Universities. I was hoping for a better outcome, but still am not surprised.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

At the time I was looking for a convergence device (phone, email, music, camera), and the Blackberry wasn't it.

Did you get a Treo?
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by htoelle View Post

As a Canadian I have to say I agree the above . At one time I thought they could give Apple a rough time bytoellebills

OK... so which one was it you were trying to say (Google it)?

bottle bills -- botley mills -- bell bills -- bella bliss

Silly canucks

PS. Well now I'm on a funky tracking list I bet?!?!
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Maybe it's not about the demise but the correct prediction of a demise made many years ago. People tend to feel good when they are proven correct.

Not that anything is proof yet as Apple's market cap was below RiM's (though when you adjust for 15 years of inflation RiM is worse off) at one point and they pulled themselves up and out of the bog. I don't see how RiM won't be another Palm getting subsumed into another company like fetal resorption but I welcome such a comeback. People tend to feel good about underdog stories, too.

Well since I was one of those that made some bold predictions I believe more than a year ago, I would just like to say that,

a) on one hand I feel good because I really did bet (put) that they would go under this quarter or next;

b) I truly feel sorry for the many good and talented employees at RIM, because their futures are not looking rosy at all(!);

c) and I am EXSTATIC that those 2 fools at the top, and a number of upper-level managers that I had the unfortunate opportunity to meet... will be made to eat crow if I ever see them again!

I would say it's up to the "employees" to see what kind of "punishment" they should dole out.... but I for one would like to play Slapshot of the Hanson Bros. variety with those arrogant bozos I met a couple of years ago here in Germany!

PS. So @Soli... any predictions now who's gonna buy up the scraps?
  • Reply 47 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

PS. So @Soli... any predictions now who's gonna buy up the scraps?

Seems like anyone but Apple would be interested. I can make a case for MS, Nokia, Google, HP, HTC, Samsung, and even Dell.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Get some grammar and spelling lessons while you're there.

Perhaps English is not his first language? Perhaps he's French Canadian? Could you post on a French website? Give the kid a break - at least on his spelling.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Before the intel switch the comments here were of a much higher calibre.

But? you weren't here for that?

Also, you already seem to have an account here. Did you forget the login information for that? You can reset the password, you know.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

c) and I am EXSTATIC that those 2 fools at the top, and a number of upper-level managers that I had the unfortunate opportunity to meet... will be made to eat crow if I ever see them again!

While it's easy to blame the "2 fools at the top", they're probably not completely to blame. Do we know if RIM engineering did design better products that were rejected by these two? Or do we just assume all product/design initiatives come from the CEOs? Somebody was asleep at the switch. Was it only these two?
  • Reply 51 of 64
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

While it's easy to blame the "2 fools at the top", they're probably not completely to blame. Do we know if RIM engineering did design better products that were rejected by these two? Or do we just assume all product/design initiatives come from the CEOs? Somebody was asleep at the switch. Was it only these two?

My best guess is that things turned out a lot like other tech companies I've seen. At the start, there was a small group of people who were highly talented, motivated, and could move quickly on new ideas and products. Then, over the years, the layers of management and organizational hierarchy grew to the point where new ideas had to go through so many people (each with their own agendas and biases) and processes that it became nearly impossible to act on anything except what was already out there and proven. At some point, the engineers probably just stopped bothering to fight it. And, by that point, the CEOs were so out of touch with the day to day workings of the company (lulled to sleep by the rhetoric of upper management) that they failed to notice what had happened.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    In the past, I thought it was a good idea for HP and RIM to get together, and use WebOS on RIM's hardware. Recently however, I am beginning to wish Apple would just buy, and put RIM out of its misery, and take over RIM's secure corporate networks, ditch the playbook (maybe a 7 inch iPad out of the playbook) and have at least ONE smartphone, ala BB 9900 series, with iOS, and RIM's lovely keyboard. Yeah, its a stretch, but one can dream. (disclaimer, long time BB user in love with their keyboard, but switched to iPhone as my one device, after RIM's last developer conference was such a bust)
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wcg66 View Post

A recent fire sale at $200 (RIM employees around town are getting them and reselling them for $99) says the Playbook is dead. I wouldn't hold my breath for a 2.0 update.

Agree. I seriously doubt if that OS update will ever see the light of day.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Quote:

Dude, nothing in my post defends Rim, I do not care at all what happens to them. Just don't understand why you feel so good about it?

Not addressed to me, but hope you dont mind if I comment. I'm sure not happy about RIM falling apart, as I was a very very satisfied BB user till about a year or so ago. Loved the keyboard, email, even liked some of their apps. AND, contrary to a lot of folks, loved the design and form factor, not to mention the durability. However, I also upgraded my iPod touch a ways back, to an iPhone 4. The touch, and the iPhone 4 was so much better for browsing, and the apps were cleaner and faster than the same apps on the BB. When my company eventually approved a security system for the iPhone, I ditched my BB and went 100% iPhone (one phone bill now, which is nice). Rim's last developers conference did it for me. It was abysmal. No mention of phone upgrades at all, other than the "promise" BBX was going to be for their next phone OS too. Well, we knew that 6 months ago. No progress. THATS what is killing RIM. All talk and no progress, and I switched within a week of that developers conference. I think folks are more "gloating" over the terrible management, than happy with the demise of a once great company.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Research in motion?

More like Retards without any notion.

It's offensive to refer to the disabled that way.

and no, I'm not saying that as a cut on RIM
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:

it used to be thiz was a verry insitful place.to get apple news. wtf has happened. we all get excited reading about a competitor to apple having issues? wow, too much for me. everyone here can take this childish fanboy attitude and enjoy it. ill be leaving to get news from more grown up sorces.

That was verry eloquentl
  • Reply 57 of 64
    xicexice Posts: 18member
    I think this piece of news should get RIM back on their feet and quicken their release of new products (revamp their OS, etc).

I love new technology and competition is always good. It forces every company to become better with each release. I am disappointed to hear that RIM is not doing well. Clearly they have not understood that Apple has set a benchmark for consumer satisfaction. I've used a BB Bold 9700 back in Jan 2010 together with a 3GS and quickly reverted to only the 3GS within a month. Simply because the 3GS does everything that I need and quicker. (Getting an app on the Blackberry felt sluggish. Not only that everything on the BB AppWorld felt limited. Especially when you started off with iOS.)

Of course, there are users that would argue that they love Blackberry still. However, the majority of the population in the world has shown that they love Android/iOS.

On a side note, I would love to give Nokia Windows 7 a go. If I wasn't so locked in to the Apple Ecosystem.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    RIM is a technology oriented company rather than a consumer product company. Here's an interesting read on where their real value is.

http://reut.rs/v0Jsui
  • Reply 59 of 64
    This article is just cruel.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

RIM is a technology oriented company rather than a consumer product company. Here's an interesting read on where their real value is.http://reut.rs/v0Jsui

Approaching Zero Fast? Sure, I guess they can sell their furniture and all that, though it's probably leased. They might make more money turning into a recruitment company r

Seriously though, if I were a shareholder, and actually kept my shares, I would ask for the entire RIM board and core management team be replaced entirely. Of course I'm naive and "don't know the real business world" I suppose, but RIM has had a good 3-year shot of making something happening while observing how the industry and users have evolved.

We are at the end of 2011 and what has come out after 3 years?