7" panel orders reportedly overtake 9.7" shipments as iPad 2 production draws down

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    There are two form factors that make sense in regards to tablets. One is covered by the iPad in that it is large enough to be just the right size for what it is used but not so large as to be awkward to handle.

The other form factor is something pocketable like the Touch.

The iPad is on the money. No need for a change. The Touch is a little too small in that it could be a little larger and still be small enough to slip into most pockets.

Then you have the 7-inch form factor. Too large to slip into anyone's pocket and too small to compete well against a device like the iPad. Pick up a 7-incher and right after try out an iPad. No contest.

Apple doesn't need a 7-inch device. Make a larger Touch and sell a lower-cost iPad based on the current version. Mission accomplished.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Sorta reminds me of the netbook craze.

They were cheap... but were kinda small for actual work.

*although some people loved them

Some people still do. :-D

While relaxing in the late evening, while I sometimes reach for my iPad for a little Steambirds, I'm more inclined to reach for my System76 netbook - especially for IMing a friend. Nothing beats a real keyboard for serious conversations, I'm afraid - and of course for some old school Empire...
  • Reply 23 of 64
    I'm sure there was an uptick in panel production before any were sold to insure sufficient stock at launch.

The question is, will sales continue or die out in a Fire sale?

If sale are great then why doesn't Amazon announce Fire sales numbers?
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

That's impossible.

1) People are only interested in the iPad. The other platforms don't sell

2) Steve Jobs has decreed the no-one is interested in a 7'' format.

Sales numbers?

I'm sure RIMM and HP ordered lots of screens before they went on firesale!
  • Reply 25 of 64
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Id still buy a 7" iPad/iPod touch/whatever if Apple came out with one.

But I'm still curious what else Apple could even do to the iPad to make it more appealing than it is now. The processor and graphics are fine as is, although im sure it will get an upgrade (although unneeded). And of course a Retina screen, which would be very nice. But outside of that, what? No need or appeal to get smaller, no need for extended battery life, no need for a better camera or video camera (seriously- who takes a picture with an iPad? Lol). So what else would people like that would make me upgrade outside of the screen? A FaceTime hd camera? Siri?

When the iPhone 4 came out, it boasted retina, faster processor/graphics, FaceTime, a useful 5mp and 720p camera, updated iOS, battery life, appearance, etc. So the iPad 3 will be....? Although, after the 4S just got a couple things, I guess the iPad will be the same- no need for ground braking improvement when you have something great already. I just fear people won't upgrade if they already own the iPad 2.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

But I'm still curious what else Apple could even do to the iPad to make it more appealing than it is now. The processor and graphics are fine as is, although im sure it will get an upgrade (although unneeded). And of course a Retina screen, which would be very nice. But outside of that, what? No need or appeal to get smaller, no need for extended battery life, no need for a better camera or video camera (seriously- who takes a picture with an iPad? Lol). So what else would people like that would make me upgrade outside of the screen? A FaceTime hd camera? Siri?

When the iPhone 4 came out, it boasted retina, faster processor/graphics, FaceTime, a useful 5mp and 720p camera, updated iOS, battery life, appearance, etc. So the iPad 3 will be....? Although, after the 4S just got a couple things, I guess the iPad will be the same- no need for ground braking improvement when you have something great already. I just fear people won't upgrade if they already own the iPad 2.

This time around, I'd like to see:

-- better CPU GPU

-- additional RAM SSD

-- better camera

-- retina display

From a capability standpoint, I'd like to see:

-- Siri

-- online Siri store

-- scripting of apps through Siri

-- Siri APIs for developers

-- ad hoc WiFi between iDevices

-- more codec/external camera support

-- FCPX mobile for video editing

-- more robust Pages, Numbers, Keynote

For the round after that, I'd like to see a 15" or 17" iPad.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

There are two form factors that make sense in regards to tablets. One is covered by the iPad in that it is large enough to be just the right size for what it is used but not so large as to be awkward to handle.

The other form factor is something pocketable like the Touch.

The iPad is on the money. No need for a change. The Touch is a little too small in that it could be a little larger and still be small enough to slip into most pockets.

Then you have the 7-inch form factor. Too large to slip into anyone's pocket and too small to compete well against a device like the iPad. Pick up a 7-incher and right after try out an iPad. No contest.

Apple doesn't need a 7-inch device. Make a larger Touch and sell a lower-cost iPad based on the current version. Mission accomplished.

I think you're right on here. I think the iPad size is fine...i would have preferred a 12" screen but whatever, most think that's to awkward...so fine, have it your way.

I always thought the iPhone/Touch should get a massive boost in screen size. After looking at the Galaxy and Evo (4.56" and 4.3" respectively), the iphone looks tiny in comparison. So you're right, I'd bump the screen size on the iphone/touch and let it be. I'd keep the resolution of the LCD the same as the retina though.

A 4.7" or 5.7" iPhone and iPod Touch would pretty much put all competing tablets to bed.

The 7" tablet craze will slowly become future iPad purchases, so I'm not worried about that.

Amazon is actually pretty smart with this. They not only sell a tablet for their products and services, but also allow the Apple fans to be involved in it with the iPad/phone App. Microsoft can learn something here...(MS Office)
  • Reply 28 of 64
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

why is it necessary to upgrade with every generation of a model? What's wrong with making products that last? Apple uses pretty good components and durable materials. Makes me miss the days when you can buy a computer/discman/whatever and it lasts you up to 6-8 years. My first computer out of college (2000) lasted me about 8 years, perhaps 2 years too long but it still worked. For me, I upgraded my iPhone when the iOS no longer supported it. that was the iPhone 3G. I'm planning on keeping my iPad just as long.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

why is it necessary to upgrade with every generation of a model? What's wrong with making products that last? Apple uses pretty good components and durable materials. Makes me miss the days when you can buy a computer/discman/whatever and it lasts you up to 6-8 years. My first computer out of college (2000) lasted me about 8 years, perhaps 2 years too long but it still worked. For me, I upgraded my iPhone when the iOS no longer supported it. that was the iPhone 3G. I'm planning on keeping my iPad just as long.

I was speaking as the way Apple looks at it. They want people to upgrade every 1-2 years on their iDevices. Hence why they drastically changed the iPod every year, iPhone every couple years, and the leap from an original iPad to the iPad 2.

Personally, I upgrade every 1 or 2 models (usually 1) because I can sell the previous model for almost what I buy the new generation for. But it's gonna take more than Retina Display to wet my appetite this go-round.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

The domino effect is happening right before our eyes. Because of Amazons success using Android the 7" form factor is finally getting traction. Actually overtaking iPad screen size. So 2011 we see the smartphone war won by Android, 2012 will most likely usher the tablet war going for another Google/Android win. I'm starting to feel bad for Apple, they had a good start but can't keep ahead.

Hmm... Tell me how exactly is a 7'' Andorthingy going to overtake the iPad screen size?

With a very large bezel??
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This time around, I'd like to see:

-- better CPU GPU

-- additional RAM SSD

-- better camera

-- retina display

From a capability standpoint, I'd like to see:

-- Siri

-- online Siri store

-- scripting of apps through Siri

-- Siri APIs for developers

-- ad hoc WiFi between iDevices

-- more codec/external camera support

-- FCPX mobile for video editing

-- more robust Pages, Numbers, Keynote

For the round after that, I'd like to see a 15" or 17" iPad.

The first round I completely agree!

The second round seems to me rather a completely new category. I wouldn't call It iPad any more.

But for starting a power user touch computing market, maybe this might happen in a not all to far future. But Apps like FCP X; Logic X and hopefully some Adobe and Autocad applications ought to be ready for touch UI.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Apple will launch a larger iPhone, then a larger iPod Touch, and keep the IPad to the perfect 10" screen. Then its pretty much game over again for all of the competitors.

I've tried to use the 7", and maybe I just have big hands, but it's really a frustrating size for a man. If you are a woman, or a man that has woman sized hands, then you might get along with it much easier.

And for the record, Android on the Galaxy Tab is an abomination and its choppy self should be removed from shelves immediately.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Taiwan's DigiTimes claimed

I've stop reading right there... Every analysis coming from Digitimes are bogus and a waste of time.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

That's impossible.

1) People are only interested in the iPad. The other platforms don't sell

2) Steve Jobs has decreed the no-one is interested in a 7'' format.

If the 7 inch tablets are all DOA, where does that leave the iPad?
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: Archos has also just released a $199 7" tablet running Honeycomb. It's the first one below $200. This is a big deal, IMO, yet seems to be getting little attention.

Me, personally, I'm pretty much fed up with Archos. Their products always have lots of promise, but too many have "gotchas", like having to buy codecs from them for inflated prices in order to unlock hardware capabilities. Always more promise than what gets delivered. Many of their earlier Android tablets, for example, were not licensed, and so had no access to the Google App Store.

Is it possible that they will try to sell ICS updates for $39.95? That would be typical for them.

I predict that Archos will continue to sell few products, but will limp along like they've been doing for years.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    [QUOTE=AppleZilla;2012832

My first iPad will be this year. Full size and retina.

[/QUOTE]

Not this year. Probably not next.

Get the iPad 2s in the meantime. It will be announced soon.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    The kindle fire seems to be making a hit in the market primarily because of its low price points and people who are still skeptical about the need of a tablet may see KF as a try out....just $199. Let's give it a try!

You cannot actually compare the small success of this 7" KF with the 9.7" iPad. They are offering totally different capabilities. KF is still perceived to be a reading tablet with some games. That's it for now. For the iPad, it's a fully functional tablet that they are still plenty of untouched capabilities in areas that you cannot even imagine! No one will use a garage band type app on the KF right!? The iPad is relatively great in its touch sensitivity and UI, in its friendly user experience and so on even with the existing form factors of the iPad2.

Okay so why Jobs said 7" is rubbish? I believe the rationale behind the saying is a 7" tablet cannot provide the same experience and will be damped if it was to be equipped with similar, comparable capabilities and functions of the iPad. the 7" form factor will largely limit the potential power that a table can reach. This posts no contradiction with what the 7" KF has achieved. KF is not an iPad killer as critics said

you can say that 7" is good in size for women and for your pocket. But might not be good enough when people are demanding more advanced functions yet with simple UI which is what Apple has been continuously working on and superior than all others
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:

I'm starting to feel bad for Apple, they had a good start but can't keep ahead.

With the one exception of a non-computer product, twas always thus.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:

The domino effect is happening right before our eyes. Because of Amazons success using Android the 7" form factor is finally getting traction. Actually overtaking iPad screen size. So 2011 we see the smartphone war won by Android, 2012 will most likely usher the tablet war going for another Google/Android win. I'm starting to feel bad for Apple, they had a good start but can't keep ahead.

Some good Droidy koolaid you are drinking there slapppy. The only reason the 7" form factor has "traction" as you call it is because Apple sewed up the market on the larger screens and left the rest of the industry with having to settle for the smaller form factor. Reading for comprehension is a much better approach than reading for the results you desire.

And let's be clear here, the "smartphone" market is not yet "won", until we see the market actually plateau. Android is taking the lead by rapidly eroding the feature phone segment with the cheaper Android "smart" phones, it is only once the market saturates that you can start proclaiming whether one or more OSes or handset makers have in fact "won". Android started by decimating the Windows phone segment out from under Redmond, and once that was done moved to destroy Nokia's foothold in feature phones.

Apple on the other hand, is pulling in mainstream consumers out of the Android market. I was in shopping at the local Apple Store (I think I love Personal Pickup!) And at their Personal Setup table every single phone being swapped out was an Android phone - there were ten or twelve people sitting there dumping Android phones for iPhones. Not a scientific survey, but it surprised me. Not a flip phone in the lot. So I asked - and the consensus was that the iPhone "works better" than the Android phones they were dropping.

Amazon's success with the Fire is yet to be proven. But leave it to you to crow about vaporous "success". Android will falter. The market will plateau, and then the segments will rebalance. Unless Android is continuously improved from a user standpoint - it will remain the gateway device for iPhones. And while it currently enjoys larger marketshare and drives growth into the smartphone segment. It is still way too early in the game to declare a win. Apple has demonstrated that they are in the markets on a long-term basis. You need to settle down grab a beer and relax. The fact that you insist on sitting in the rival team's cheering section as an Android fan is just funny as hell.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What did Steve say exactly?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Whatever he said it is not relevant.

I would say it's relevent, but also must be interpreted for intent. Steve also said that nobody reads anymore, and the not too much later was hyping iBooks at a press conference. Steve once dismissed TVs by saying they were only for when you wanted to switch off your brain and a few years later he was hawking the AppleTV set-top box, and now Apple is rumored to be working on a TV of their own. Steve said nobody needed Firewire because all camcorders sold at the time used USB (apparently forgetting about all the ones sold before that), and less than a year later Apple put FW back on the laptops it was removed from. Steve said no buttons on the shuffle was a great thing...

The point being, sometimes Steve's comments are opinions, not to be interpreted as direction for Apple, sometimes they appear to have been to intentionally mislead, and sometimes Steve (and Apple) simply make mistakes. People give FAR too much weight to Steve's comments about 7" tablets. He was simultaneously promoting Apple's choice of size as ideal and at the same time demoting the idea of a smaller tablet in the minds of everyone who thinks Steve/Apple could do no wrong (and that's a lot of people).

And he's not exactly an unbiased observer making those comments. Steve Jobs was as much a marketer as he was a designer (perhaps even moreso). What would you expect him to say? "Well, the size we picked was just one option and other people will come out with other sizes that are just as good as ours because different people have different needs in a tablet." Hell no! It's "Ours is the only viable alternative and all the rest of the options are crap." That is the foundation of almost every marketing presenterion, er keynote address, Steve ever gave. Ever other exec says the same thing about their company's products, they just don't have Steve's style and flair.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Fancy Walrus View Post

I think the size of the iPad is fine as is. At this point, changing the size would mean that Apple needs to produce entirely new aluminum cases as well as other companies like Otterbox and Incase will have to modify their cases for iPads.

Haven't paid much attention to the changes in the iPod and iPhone lineups over the years, have you? Apple doesn't care if Otterbox or other case companies have to change their lineups. In fact, those other companies probably like that Apple changes things with every new release. That way you need to go buy a new case from them, too, when you upgrade!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I don't want a f'cking 7 inch screen.

Um, then don't buy one. (PS: chill)