Samsung's TouchWiz preventing Galaxy S owners from getting Android 4.0 ICS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 193
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Fortunately anyone who is willing to spend 10 min reading and 10 min on their computer will most likely be able to flash a custom ROM. Heck, there are no tablets for sale yet that come with ICS yet it's been shown running on a few in the wild already!

Check it out, release candidate for Nexus S ICS rom: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/12/sam...ase-candidate/

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N

You are missing the point. Samsung is essentially saying the top of the line phone it sold less than a year ago is not capable of running Ice Cream Sandwich well enough to update the devices. Compare that to the iPhone, where iOS can run on three years worth of hardware. Further, Android is not really open. Amazon and Barnes and Noble can't call their devices Android powered because they would be forced to use Google's Services to do so. The Nexus phone gets a several month head start on every body else in being able to use the latest OS.
  • Reply 22 of 193
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Flashing roms, yeah, that's what ordinary people do when they get phones with outdated software.

Not really as most "ordinary" people have no idea what version their OS is or if it is outdated or even why they would need/want to update it.
  • Reply 23 of 193
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Flashing roms, yeah, that's what ordinary people do when they get phones with outdated software. Do you even hear what you are talking?

True nerds think the 5% of the world like them is actually 95% of the population. The satisfaction rating for Android phones should show them the truth.
  • Reply 24 of 193
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Not really as most "ordinary" people have no idea what version their OS is or if it is outdated or even why they would need/want to update it.

Apple has a high number of users who update right away to the newest version. I think it was about 50% yet a great many would rarely ever sync via iTunes. Now with OTA delta updates in iOS 5.0 that will let you know when you have an update that number should increase substantially. There will of course be people that don't want to risk it or will say later and then forget, but it will increase as it will let people know who simply don't read any tech news or have a techy in the family.

PS: I think Povilas comment was sarcastic.
  • Reply 25 of 193
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

A fair point. Even on iOS.
  • Reply 26 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

Nice try.

the 3GS is a 3 yr old device. The Galaxy S is a year old! ROFL!

Not a nice try. Its true. Pick up a 3gs and compare to a 4 or 4s. Lots missing. Sure the 3gs is older but this article does fail to mention the difference. Dude, don't get the wrong idea. I've been a Mac head since before the Mac. But saying the 3GS runs iOS5, is a bit misleading.
  • Reply 27 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

A fair point. Even on iOS.

True, but not as clearly. People sync iDevices more often.
  • Reply 28 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Not a nice try. Its true. Pick up a 3gs and compare to a 4 or 4s. Lots missing. Sure the 3gs is older but this article does fail to mention the difference. Dude, don't get the wrong idea. I've been a Mac head since before the Mac. But saying the 3GS runs iOS5, is a bit misleading.

No it's not misleading. It runs iOS 5.0 There is no lie, no deception, no misleading word play. It's like you saying the MacBook Air doesn't run Lion because the version of Lion on the Mac Pro supports different HW and apps.
  • Reply 29 of 193
    Quote:

True, but not as clearly. People sync iDevices more often.

Sync, sure, but don't update. They click "not now" or "don't remind me again" and they stay on 1.1.3, 2.0.1, and other nonsensical firmwares? even on MODERN devices.

*grab someone's 1st gen iPod touch*

"Hey, where's the? "

*instinctively head to Settings/General/About*

"YOU'RE STILL ON 1.1.2?! IT'S 2011! You should be on 3.1.3!"
  • Reply 30 of 193
    So if I'm reading the article correctly, it's the hardware that is preventing the Samsung devices from running ICS?

Is this the same hardware that is thrown about by Android devotees as superior to anything else? And it can't handle the new OS?
  • Reply 31 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sync, sure, but don't update. They click "not now" or "don't remind me again" and they stay on 1.1.3, 2.0.1, and other nonsensical firmwares? even on MODERN devices.

Yes, they do that sometimes, but iOS version update stats shows that they hit 'Download and Install' a lot too.
  • Reply 32 of 193
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I don't think the original Samsung S models are incapable of running the latest Android OS version if I've read correctly. ICS is designed to run on older hardware, Instead Samsung has made the marketing decision that Touchwiz offers more in benefits to those S owners (and/or probably to Samsung) than removing it for ICS upgrades.

Some owners might disagree and there's options for those willing to put in a few minutes to understand hows and whys. For owners that are uncomfortable with manually adding it, I think Samsung should have offered the update at least as an option, explaining the benefits of keeping Touchwiz instead if they feel the need. The official option should be available tho. I personally don't agree with their decision not to offer the update at all.
  • Reply 33 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post

Sorry I can't agree. I got my Mum a 3GS to upgrade from her 3G specifically for all the really useful (for the average user) cool bits including iMessage, iCloud, Photostream, Emoticons, etc. It works great for her and allows her to have all her stuff synced to her iPad 2 without her having to do anything. And she's showed her friends who've gone and bought the same thing. And everyone is thrilled with their devices.

That, to me, is the coolest and most useful feature of iOS 5. And yes I have a 64Gig 4S and I really use it, and use Siri a lot, but most people I know, friends and family, would find, and do find, even a 3GS more than adequate for their needs (with the exception of the camera possibly, but it's still pretty good).

Couple any iPhone with an iPad and a Mac and, even at this early stage of development, you have a very well integrated cloud based system for sharing data.
  • Reply 34 of 193
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Fortunately anyone who is willing to spend 10 min reading and 10 min on their computer will most likely be able to flash a custom ROM. Heck, there are no tablets for sale yet that come with ICS yet it's been shown running on a few in the wild already!

Check it out, release candidate for Nexus S ICS rom: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/12/sam...ase-candidate/

Some words.

S W E E T

Custom.

R O M S

Community driven.

O P E N

I believe the new Motorola tablet runs ICS.
  • Reply 35 of 193
    Samsung's mentality is screwed. Shame consumers generally don't seem to care about this stuff.

The bottom line is there are only two companies in the mobile phone industry who give a shit about the user experience - Apple and (surprisingly) Microsoft.
  • Reply 36 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Samsung's mentality is screwed. Shame consumers generally don't seem to care about this stuff.

The bottom line is there are only two companies in the mobile phone industry who give a shit about the user experience - Apple and (surprisingly) Microsoft.

In the same vein, Apple apparently "chose" not to offer the most compelling iOS5 feature to the iPhone4 feature list: Siri

Granted it's not denying most other updated features and added benefits of the latest OS, but not offering the option of Siri was marketing not inability of the hardware to support it as it's been unofficially demonstrated on the older platform hasn't it?

Samsung is making a similar marketing decision. Since they didn't design the OS (Android 4.x) they don't have the option of allowing some features while denying others as Apple does. It's likely either/or. In that regard, Apple obviously is at an advantage designing for a single general set of hardware and software fully controlled by them.
  • Reply 37 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

1 word.

D U M B.

another.

F R A G M E N T A T I ON.

another.

C R A P.

it's funny.. if Apples does it (with Siri), it's ok since they are just trying to sell more iPhone 4S. If anyone else does it, it's dumb fragmentation.. LOL
  • Reply 38 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Granted it's not denying most other updated features and added benefits of the latest OS, but not offering the option of Siri was marketing not inability of the hardware to support it as it's been unofficially demonstrated on the older platform hasn't it?

It's been long since proven it's an inability with the Siri HW.
  • Reply 39 of 193
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple has a high number of users who update right away to the newest version..

Yet most of those users have no idea of why they are updating apart from it is available and it pops up and tells them it is available.

If they had to go find a custom ROM and flash it, they would not. That was my point.
  • Reply 40 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's been long since proven it's an inability with the Siri HW.

This didn't worK?

http://cydiahelp.com/how-to-fully-in...4g-full-guide/

I don't know for certain but it appears to based on comments I've seen, tho it's claimed to be illegal and not something I would suggest an owner to try. Still, it does work with iPhone4 hardware doesn't it? Perhaps not?