Christmas Day activation numbers suggest iOS topped Android by 1.6M

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Yep. Better for Apple than Google since Apple actually makes money off of their product. Google not so much.

Same as it ever was ~ David Byrne, 1984
  • Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Yep. Better for Apple than Google since Apple actually makes money off of their product. Google not so much.

That's what I was thinking. Apple sees real dollars from every sale. Google hopes and prays for ad revenue from each device.
  • Reply 23 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    IMHO Google recognizes they need to spread their wings a bit more if they're to maintain their excellent profit margins. Do a little web research and it's clear they've got some pretty heavy projects underway, yet managing to keep them off the radar.

I fully expect to see Google-branded hardware this next year, and it won't be in smartphones or tablets. They've assured their partners they weren't playing fav's in those markets. What I do expect is a potentially market-changing product moving way beyond current bulky smart-devices for navigation, information-retrieval and searches.

Personally I see hardware in Google's future instead of just ad placement revenue.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    Ok... I closed this window, but opened it again because... I don't know... I'm an idiot for posting this... but...

Why does Google have to lose for Apple to win?

Why does America have to vociferously ALWAYS choose sides? Red State/Blue State... MS/Apple/Google... Winner/Loser .... Rulez/Sukz ???

I'm just happy that people are moving along and embracing technology. Period!

As many know, I'm quite the Apple Fanboy... but this bashing and parsing of fictitious numbers, with "guestimate" mathematics, is getting quite old.

Apple = 5% share of ANY market they are in, will continue to make boat-loads of money for their investors, and for future research and products.

MS or Google = 95% of the market in anything, will net them marketshare only, and a few bucks for licenses and/or search. Their fans, regardless, will get on with their choice just fine. LET THEM!

At the end, Apple will still be the most valuable tech company on the face of the planet, with legions of satisfied customers using desirable and exceptional user-experience products.

Show me the blow-out quarter results.... and until then, "Flurious Statistics" be damned! Who. Cares?!?
  • Reply 25 of 80
    The three people I know who have Androids want an iPhone.

Android = Training wheels for iPhone.

Kindle = Training wheels for iPad.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IMHO Google recognizes they need to spread their wings a bit more if they're to maintain their excellent profit margins. Do a little web research and it's clear they've got some pretty heavy projects underway, yet managing to keep them off the radar.

I fully expect to see Google-branded hardware this next year, and it won't be in smartphones or tablets. They've assured their partners they weren't playing fav's in those markets. What I do expect is a potentially market-changing product moving way beyond current bulky smart-devices for navigation, information-retrieval and searches.

Personally I see hardware in Google's future instead of just ad placement revenue.

Not too far fetched an idea. I think they're going to have to. Because the elephant and 1000lb. gorilla is still in it's cage. And we all know who that is. That is who is going to give Google a run for the money... for the "left overs" that is.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Why does America have to vociferously ALWAYS choose sides? Red State/Blue State... MS/Apple/Google... Winner/Loser .... Rulez/Sukz ???

That isn't a US/America thing it's a part of our very make up right down to the core of our being. There is good and evil, right and wrong as concepts. There are male and female, acid and base in nature. There is nothing American about it.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzpolice View Post

While we're reading tea leaves, does the absence of a press release from Apple mean anything, in this context? I know Apple has a habit of issuing statements about first-day sales of new products, but does it ever do the same for Xmas numbers?

I've been following Apple closely since even before Steve Jobs came back.

And the answer is "no". I have never seen them release any Xmas numbers via a press release. They release the relevant numbers at the January earnings conference call, but they don't break it out down to a day, like Christmas day. And back when they were doing MacWorld keynotes, sometimes they would tip their hand with some numbers on a couple of charts, but once again, it usually didn't specify Christmas day, or any other day, for that matter.

And absolutely no such press releases. So, unless Apple is about to drop an invitation to an upcoming media event on us (and I doubt that) then we won't really hear any numbers about iOS devices until the earnings report. And it will cover the entire quarter, most likely.

Thompson
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Apple Is Doomed?

Maybe not Doomed?, but at the very least Beleaguered?.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    Quote:

Ok... I closed this window, but opened it again because... I don't know... I'm an idiot for posting this... but...

As many know, I'm quite the Apple Fanboy... but this bashing and parsing of fictitious numbers, with "guestimate" mathematics, is getting quite old.

Apple = 5% share of ANY market they are in, will continue to make boat-loads of money for their investors, and for future research and products.

MS or Google = 95% of the market in anything, will net them marketshare only, and a few bucks for licenses and/or search. Their fans, regardless, will get on with their choice just fine. LET THEM!

At the end, Apple will still be the most valuable tech company on the face of the planet, with legions of satisfied customers using desirable and exceptional user-experience products.

Show me the blow-out quarter results.... and until then, "Flurious Statistics" be damned! Who. Cares?!?

It is actually pretty simple:

A - There are individuals that feel Apple's success directly reflects on them.

B - There are people that feel the purchasing of Apple products makes them a better person.

C - There are people that have self esteem that revolves around what particular gadget they own and take direct offense if anyone has a different opinion.

D - There are people that do not understand that competition is good for consumers

E - These people are sad.

F - Many of them are members here.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    Quote:

Is it because a divided people are easier to conquer? I feel like Apple and Google (and all other huge money making businesses) continually try to Kaizer Soze us.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

The three people I know who have Androids want an iPhone.

Android = Training wheels for iPhone.

Kindle = Training wheels for iPad.

You can state this all you want.... and some android phones are small boy phones compared with the iphones... others have features that make them compete directly with the iphone 4s.... Still this doesn't really matter, as some people don't need all the features (which is why apple still sells the iphone 3GS and iphone 4).

As far as the kindle being training wheels for the ipad... this is true in the same respect.... The kindle doesn't do everything an iphone can do, but does that mean these people are going to later buy an ipad, or even consider it? For many people, and ipad is overkill. Sure, it may have a dual core processor, and awesome graphics capabilities.... But if you use the device for reading websites and books... .WHO CARES??? If the most complicated game that you play is angry birds, what does it matter?

Most people don't need the power of an a5 processor in their tablet. I do see the kindle taking market share amongst more budget minded consumers who want something cheap, portable, with good battery life that they can use to consume content. Paying over twice as much for an ipad doesn't make sense to these people, and I can't blame them.

Personally, I'm holding out for an ipad3, but I want the processing power, and consider myself a power user. Therefore I'll pay the (large) premium that apple is charging.

Phil
  • Reply 33 of 80
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Retarded math

Guys.... these numbers were reached using this math:
    Quote:

In years past, Android activations have seen a boost of about 50 percent on Christmas Eve. So with at least 1.1 million Android devices assumed activated on Christmas Eve (up from its usual daily total of 700,000), Christmas Day Android activations would be 2.6 million.

Subtracting that estimated total from recently released data from Flurry Analytics gives the estimated total of 4.2 million activated iOS devices. Flurry revealed on Tuesday that iOS and Android activations combined grew 353 percent on Christmas day, reaching 6.8 million units. A breakdown of iOS versus Android devices was not given.

It's total crap! They assume that the christmastime sales bump from years past is the same as it is this year and use that (garbage in) to infer Apple sales this year (garbage out).

This is total crap! Not worth discussion!
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

PED doesn't actually say that...

Actually, in the comments to the article, he says he has an email from Flurry saying that the Android numbers Flurry is reporting include the Amazon Fire.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] Flurry revealed on Tuesday that iOS and Android activations combined grew 353 percent on Christmas day, reaching 6.8 million units. A breakdown of iOS versus Android devices was not given. [...]

I wonder why Flurry didn't give separate numbers for iOS and Android. It's like saying "Toyota and Honda sold a combined n.n million cars last quarter." It's meaningless to lump competitors' sales numbers together like that. It would have made more sense if Flurry had summed up the entire market and published a story containing something like: "Mobile OS activations combined grew nnn percent on Christmas day..." Why did they add the numbers together into a single iOS + Android activation count?

Maybe they wanted to attract readers, since the Apple vs. Google OS war is a hot topic now. And maybe they're afraid of appearing biased in favor of Apple. Because, as we all know, being "biased" now means "reporting facts that are embarrassing to one or more persons or groups." It used to mean "partisan" and/or "prejudiced" and/or "unfair."

The word "biased" has lost its meaning. To appear "unbiased" and "objective" you need to hide your real feelings. To not express too strong an opinion on anything unless you're willing to facetiously and hypocritically contradict your own statements. To appease those who disagree. I understand that "The Media" in general needs to attract the largest possible audience. But hiding numbers when they might be embarrassing to one group is blatant pandering. Bait and switch. Click bait. Whatever you want to call it.

I suppose the English language, like most languages, will inevitably change over time. Even the word "hate" has lost its meaning now. Now, if you say anything critical of another person or group, you're accused of being a "hater." Times change.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzpolice View Post

While we're reading tea leaves, does the absence of a press release from Apple mean anything, in this context? I know Apple has a habit of issuing statements about first-day sales of new products, but does it ever do the same for Xmas numbers?

This is kind of like measuring how many feet General X was standing from Minister Y at Kim Il Jong's funeral. But sometimes, that's all the hard data you've got.

Apple mentions numbers until they get to some large number, then they may mention it only when it reaches something specific.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So, that sounds interesting. Your description is vague though. Can you spell out more definitely what you expect this to be?
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Quote:

It's called FUN. It's fun to do this. Why not?
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Guys.... these numbers were reached using this math:

It's total crap! They assume that the christmastime sales bump from years past is the same as it is this year and use that (garbage in) to infer Apple sales this year (garbage out).

This is total crap! Not worth discussion!

It might be, and it might not be. If the bump is about 50% for several years running, then it means a lot. If its just one year before they're basing it on, then it may mean little, if previous years were much different. You can't assume the numbers mean little without knowing more about them.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I wonder why Flurry didn't give separate numbers for iOS and Android. It's like saying "Toyota and Honda sold a combined n.n million cars last quarter." It's meaningless to lump competitors' sales numbers together like that. It would have made more sense if Flurry had summed up the entire market and published a story containing something like: "Mobile OS activations combined grew nnn percent on Christmas day..." Why did they add the numbers together into a single iOS + Android activation count?

Maybe they wanted to attract readers, since the Apple vs. Google OS war is a hot topic now. And maybe they're afraid of appearing biased in favor of Apple. Because, as we all know, being "biased" now means "reporting facts that are embarrassing to one or more persons or groups." It used to mean "partisan" and/or "prejudiced" and/or "unfair."

The word "biased" has lost its meaning. To appear "unbiased" and "objective" you need to hide your real feelings. To not express too strong an opinion on anything unless you're willing to facetiously and hypocritically contradict your own statements. To appease those who disagree. I understand that "The Media" in general needs to attract the largest possible audience. But hiding numbers when they might be embarrassing to one group is blatant pandering. Bait and switch. Click bait. Whatever you want to call it.

I suppose the English language, like most languages, will inevitably change over time. Even the word "hate" has lost its meaning now. Now, if you say anything critical of another person or group, you're accused of being a "hater." Times change.

Flurry and other companies that do this work charge a pretty penny for their reports, which contain far more detail and info than they release to the public. As companies do buy them, or they would be out of business, they must be useful, and accurate enough for subscribers to use to base their own businesses upon.