Apple's internal 'GameStore' iOS testing app mistakenly hits App Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wish Apple would offer an option in iOS settings that all my game apps could reside within the GameCenter app so I can keep my system less cluttered and give that icon an actual use as I never check stats.

That is way too complicated. Apple offers options only when they don't already know the very best way to do something.

The way it is done now is much better. I would not expect Apple to EVER do what was suggested.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This is a pretty big f*ck up, really. Either Apple released an app via the normal channels - and why? And how? Why submit to iTunes connect? Who did that? Why would an internal Apple employee do that, and why would the Apple store testers not find it? Why would they think this app publishable?

Or somebody pretending to be Apple sent this app in. In this case the f*ck is less, as only one sector of Apple would be involved (Apple store testers).

Either way, heads, roll.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    I really hope they separate out games as a separate app, like with newsstand. Just something to make it its own store. That would be nice.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

... products is not spelt right for example. ...

Irony overload!

I can't believe you could write that with a straight face.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Over at TUAW Erica has pulled the app apart...

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/01/02/what-...e-sample-code/

And ends with a curious line

"TUAW reached out directly to the developer we suspect was behind the app upload before it got pulled."

Nothing personal to Erica or TUAW but she's been wrong before and at times publishes things as "fact" (or seeming fact), when they are only really surmises on her part.

She's incredibly smart and she's honest enough to put out a correction when she turns out to be mistaken however so that still makes her better than most of the male tech writers.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Irony overload!

spelt is acceptable British English aka English.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    ortort Posts: 39member
    This is pretty sloppy. The things that slip through the app store approval system are kind of baffling.

What are they even checking for? Obvious Mario clones using blatently copywritten assets, iMame, tethering apps...

What the heck Apple? Seriously. How is this supposed to make us feel about the chance of something malicious making it through? I have very little confidence in Apples ability to notice something.

I bet that the approval system is 99% automated and they just run the apps through a program looking for bad code.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I sort of like the idea of having all one's games in Game Center, provided it operates like, say, a Newsstand-with-an-actual-point instead of a Steam system. You know, where you have to wait absolutely forever for the actual application to open so you can play your games. Just have all the games on the device collected under the Game Center app as a folder-type thing and then access to an overarching Game Center overlay (like what the app is right now) inside each game.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ort View Post

This is pretty sloppy. The things that slip through the app store approval system are kind of baffling.

What are they even checking for? Obvious Mario clones using blatently copywritten assets, iMame, tethering apps...

What the heck Apple? Seriously. How is this supposed to make us feel about the chance of something malicious making it through? I have very little confidence in Apples ability to notice something.

I bet that the approval system is 99% automated and they just run the apps through a program looking for bad code.

I doubt if you are more capable than Apple is running an App Store. If you are, perhaps you should apply for a job with Apple or maybe Google.

You could use your considerable acumen and skill in ridding the Android Marketplace of thousands of malware apps. Think of the acclaim you would garner.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I doubt if you are more capable than Apple is running an App Store. If you are, perhaps you should apply for a job with Apple or maybe Google.

You could use your considerable acumen and skill in ridding the Android Marketplace of thousands of malware apps. Think of the acclaim you would garner.

So you apply that argument to anybody who criticises a company which makes a mistake, or only Apple? If someone criticised Dell would you suggest they had no business to unless they proved they could run a multi-billion dollar industry?

This was an Apple mistake. They make mistakes. We can point that out.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Irony overload!

Someone needs to read up on British (and, let's be honest, general "International") English spelling, and probably grammar too. I remember having an argument with an American in the mid '90's because he couldn't understand how "dreamt" and "dreamed" were both valid spellings for the past tense of the verb "to dream". He didn't like "shite" either (as in "you are talking....") , though I had to explain that it was a different pronunciation of the same word that time! lol.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ort View Post

Agree. I know a young lady quilter with 365 videos on YouTube who had her content ripped off wholesale. She then asked developer to make the content free as that is her marketing choice. The developer then put up disclaimers that you need to be 18+ due to mature content, then pulled the app. Looks like that dev is still there, only he's ripped off other you tube videos by a few other people. Really really crappy stuff is clogging up the store. Just because somebody has a 'team' and their work passes the auto check doesn't mean it is real stuff. The examples are legion of developers using examples from Apple's own tutorials and selling for .99. I hope they clean it up, it's a swamp right now.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I just received a refund e-mail for this.

They said it went out "prematurely". No kidding.

I'll cap it and remove my personal info, hang on.

• Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just received a refund e-mail for this.

Yeah I just got my letter of same, interesting reason. Wonder how many people were involved with making that email up.