Kindle Fire cannibalized 1M to 2M iPad sales 'at most' this holiday

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Any Android powered device is a direct competitor to any iOS device.

Yes, in the same way that a Ford Focus is a direct competitor to a SL 63 AMG.

And for further clarification, I'm saying the Mercedes is the iOS device.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Now you know why they are called ANALysts.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member
    The big difference is the fire is virtually a loss leader. Apple actually makes money selling iPads.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    You get what you pay for when you buy a $200 device. Kindle Fire is a competitor to the iPad. The real challenge to Apple in my opinion is Amazon's eco-system for books and magazines. The Kindle e-book library is more comprehensive and often cheaper than iBooks. The Newstand for Amazon has many more titles than Apple as well. Thankfully, I can access my kindle purchases on my iPad.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Yes, in the same way that a Ford Focus is a direct competitor to a SL 63 AMG.

And for further clarification, I'm saying the Mercedes is the iOS device.

Based on Slappy's stupid statement he's saying that any internal combustion engine by one manufacturer is competing with any other internal cumbustion engine by another manufacturer regardless of utility.

For example, he's implying a 25cc 2-cycle gas engine in a weedeater is competing with the Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C, the world's biggest combustion engine, in the same markets in the same way simply because they are cumbustion engines.

It's hard to imagine how he thinks a microwave or washer/dryer is directly competing against the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad or AppleTV. They'd have to have their buried in the sand — and by sand I mean ass — to think that.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Seriously someone who was going to buy a ipad 2 jumped and decided to buy a kindle fire..there is such a person,really ?
  • Reply 47 of 52
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I don't buy the Kindle Fire cannibalized the iPad. First, I've heard many who own an iPad have a Kindle Fire. Second, the Kindle Fire is a good media device, but lacks many features and apps of the iPad for those that want a tablet to replace their laptops. Lastly, the category is still new and growing, so who is to say that those Kindle Fire folks would have bought an iPad to begin with.

Amazon lowered the bar on price to make it more affordable and justifiable for people like myself who would buy an iPad to replace their laptop. If Amazon offers an iPad sized device with more features (e.g. camera) then it would steal their lunches but it is too early to make those claims now.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Yeah, so much for the "oh, it's not an iPad competitor" theory

Yes. Speculation based on guesswork is all the proof you could ask for.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiball7 View Post

You get what you pay for when you buy a $200 device. Kindle Fire is a competitor to the iPad. The real challenge to Apple in my opinion is Amazon's eco-system for books and magazines. The Kindle e-book library is more comprehensive and often cheaper than iBooks. The Newstand for Amazon has many more titles than Apple as well. Thankfully, I can access my kindle purchases on my iPad.

That's exactly the attraction of it, which people look away from. As well as the FACT that Amazon could be selling a piece of hardware that they lose $500 on every one but if they make their goal of getting these users into their system (buying standard merchandise as well as what you mention) they will have accomplished their goal. Why are so many people chirping that they don't make money on sales of the Fire? Of course they don't.

Not that I like the thing, but...
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Based on data from Amazon, we believe the Amazon Fire likely sold 4-5 million units this holiday season," McCourt said in a note to investors, "which probably means maybe 1-2 million cannibalized iPad sales at most."

So how did McCourt figure that out? Oh, I forgot - he's an analyst - he pulled that out of his ...
  • Reply 51 of 52
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Amazon has deep pockets

Amazon may have a lot of things but deep pockets are not part of them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcasey View Post

Seriously someone who was going to buy a ipad 2 jumped and decided to buy a kindle fire..there is such a person,really ?

Millions of parents may've considered to buy 1 iPad for all their children or 1 Kindle Fire for each of their children.

Ever heard of declining economics?

There a lots of reasons.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Amazon may have a lot of things but deep pockets are not part of them.

Millions of parents may've considered to buy 1 iPad for all their children or 1 Kindle Fire for each of their children.

Ever heard of declining economics?

There a lots of reasons.

"Millions"? Hardly. A number of parents may have considered buying iPads, but it wasn't a serious consideration. My In-laws bought their kids Kindle Fires (both under 10 years old) and the iPad wasn't ever on their radar. They may have been inspired by the iPad but they weren't about to pull the trigger. It's like saying Scion cannibalized sales from Lexus. You can't just "think" about buying one, you have to have some real intent to buy it for it to count.