Rumor: Apple to ship high-res 'iPad 3' in March, 'iPad 4' with new apps in October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    this is completely wrong. apple will not release 2 iPads in 2012, they will release 4.

the first will be late this month and will be 7" and cost $249 to compete with the kindle fire. It will be called the iPad mini.

then in april, apple will release the iPad Pro which will have the same design as the current iPad but will include a retina display, quad core A6 processor, and better cameras and will sell starting at $699.

in July, they will release the iPad 3. It will be a complete redesign, but have basically the same specs as the iPad Pro, run the newly released iOS 6, and start at $499. it will come in multiple colors (front and back).

Finally in October, apple will announce the iPad mega. It will have a 15" display to compete with all of the android tablets, who failed after competing with the iPad and just started making larger screened tablets to appease fanboys and give them something to hold on to as they all point out how small the iPad screen is. it will sell for $899, be made of liquid metal that has been infused with helium in order to bring the weight down to 0.5 pounds. it will lose the dock connector and charge kinetically by shaking the device. you will never need to worry about charging it however, because most of the controls have been replaced by shaking gestures.

mark my words. my source is solid (digitimes).
  • Reply 22 of 107
    Come on AI you're losing credibility here.
  • Reply 23 of 107
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

this is completely wrong. apple will not release 2 iPads in 2012, they will release 4.

the first will be late this month and will be 7" and cost $249 to compete with the kindle fire. It will be called the iPad mini.

then in april, apple will release the iPad Pro which will have the same design as the current iPad but will include a retina display, quad core A6 processor, and better cameras and will sell starting at $699.

in July, they will release the iPad 3. It will be a complete redesign, but have basically the same specs as the iPad Pro, run the newly released iOS 6, and start at $499. it will come in multiple colors (front and back).

Finally in October, apple will announce the iPad mega. It will have a 15" display to compete with all of the android tablets, who failed after competing with the iPad and just started making larger screened tablets to appease fanboys and give them something to hold on to as they all point out how small the iPad screen is. it will sell for $899, be made of liquid metal that has been infused with helium in order to bring the weight down to 0.5 pounds. it will lose the dock connector and charge kinetically by shaking the device. you will never need to worry about charging it however, because most of the controls have been replaced by shaking gestures.

mark my words. my source is solid (digitimes).

This post is a thing of beauty.

And honestly, AI, stop with the DigiTimes stuff. It's ridiculous. They are ridiculous.
  • Reply 24 of 107
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    These rumors are increasingly preposterous. This has going on for a couple of years, but it has really accelerated in the past six months.

A sad trend. It does not improve this site's credibility nor that of the initial rumor provider.

If you are going to select rumors to report, why not pick one that is halfway plausible, not this blathering.

Oh well, a sign of the times, I suppose...
  • Reply 25 of 107
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    So digitimes releases an article that the google tablet would be priced to compete with the amazon fire. Now apple makes an iPad 4- 7 months after the iPad 3- to compete with something in a different class?

Stick to the 7" rumors.

Can everyone stop quoting digitimes? 8/10 stories AI posts are from them. Might as well just follow that website.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The idea that Apple would release an iPad 4 in 2012 is so ridiculous that AppleInsider have tarnished their own credibility by republishing it.

Agreed. They should be more carful with their reputation.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    Really, why every year everyone thinks that there gonna release two iPads?

I don't buy it but thats just me.
  • Reply 28 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

Really, why every year everyone thinks that there gonna release two iPads?

Not everyone, DigiTimes. No one else on the planet thinks that.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I didn't read the article but I suppose this is from Digitimes.
  • Reply 30 of 107
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The idea that Apple would release an iPad 4 in 2012 is so ridiculous that AppleInsider have tarnished their own credibility by republishing it.

I agree.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    For a moment I thought I was reading The Onion...
  • Reply 32 of 107
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    Yeah, report two iPads. And then when Apple only comes out with one, you can complain about how Apple let you down by only coming out with one. You know, like what was done for the iPhone last year.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I give up! I hope the Mayans are right.
  • Reply 34 of 107
    Yeah an the iPad 5 in December 2012 and the iPad 6 in February 2013 and the iPad 7 in June 2013. Apple Insider please let the products live, you guys are always posting this iPad 3 iPhone 5 etc etc since the day a product launches, please stop this countless stories and write about useful things or new things to do with the existing devices, I'm tired of reading the same product launch rumors all days, just STOP and let the products live the life cycle.
  • Reply 35 of 107
    I like the way AI Photoshopped FCPX (and it's tiny buttons, file system, etc.) onto an iPad display!
  • Reply 36 of 107
    Be the first to join the SNiPEM - ' Sexy New iPad Every Month ' Club...

Or

PENiS... acronym left to the reader... (Looking for help, here!)
  • Reply 37 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matgzx View Post

Apple Insider please let the products live, you guys are…

Please note that it's not AppleInsider making this crap up; they're just reporting it from its source.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

PENiS... acronym left to the reader... (Looking for help, here!)

Please Enjoy New iPads Summarily?
  • Reply 38 of 107
    Bizarre rumor, but my quick takes

1. The number of rumors and supply chain stuff on some kind of iPad3 in March is hgih enough to make it credible. Little else is.

2. Other than processor and retina screen res, doesn't sound like a big improvement over iPad 2 (but I have iPad 1 where its a big jump).

3. Two iPads in one year seems crazy, if they did something later, it would have the same name and be either a quiet update with LTE and/or something they mentioned in advance (Apple is not touchy feely and that customer sensitive), but that fast of a replacement would annoy customers that just bought the other one.

4. A reduced price iPad 2 seems very credible as it fits with the different iPhone options they do. It is also a much simpler and cost effective weigh of competing in the lower end table market against the things like the Fire without tarnishing reputation or user experience.

5. A smaller iPad is doable technologically, but seems an odd duck. Would everything be half the size of the iPad from a resolution perspective. If Apple introduces a 4.5 or 5 inch iphone 5 screen (seems very possible given market trends), this smaller iPad seems a weird place to be.

6. Longer term it would seem to me a fall replacement calender is nice as it maximizes holiday sales and older models are ripe for back to schools sales in August/September before a new one comes in. But if you do that for all products it may put too much pressure on teams within the company and partners to have so many fall launches. I find march replacements odd as you have such an incentive to wait until after the holidays and push down sales, but the data shows sales remain very robust so perhaps customers do not care.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Please note that it's not AppleInsider making this crap up; they're just reporting it from its source.

Please Enjoy New iPads Summarily?

Fine...but don't call me Summarily!
  • Reply 40 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allanes5 View Post

Come on AI you're losing credibility here.

They really just need to create an AppleInsider Jr. site and limit participation here to anyone of driving age or older.