Samsung sold about 32 million smartphones in record holiday quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    Who is the idiot that wrote this article? When Apple announces its iPhone sales, that number is going to be compared with a GUESS by one analyst about how many smartphones Samsung sold? I mean, are you people seeing how ridiculous these types of articles are? Absolutely worthless!

You can't compare a real number with a guess. Where are the real journalists?
  • Reply 22 of 109
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 433member
    Please correct me if I am wrong:

- when android was small compared to iOS, the contest was between these two. My recollection is that Android would never be significant

- when android grew bigger, the contest was between individual suppliers. Sansung, hTC, ... would never outgrow Apple

- now that Samsung is the biggest seller, the comparison basis for Android is further narrowed down. How much of the Galaxy S II were sold?

Frankly guys, what do you care? Is it pure frustration that Android got twice as big as iOS in less than 2 years?
  • Reply 23 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's all FUD anyway, so who cares.

Samsung sells 35 million phones

Apple reports record revenue of $39 billion reporting that it sold 34,999,999 phones

AAPL drops 40 bucks...
  • Reply 24 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple reports record revenue of $39 billion reporting that it sold 34,999,999 phones

AAPL drops 40 bucks...

Androiders have a field day?
  • Reply 25 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

- when android was small compared to iOS, the contest was between these two. My recollection is that Android would never be significant

- when android grew bigger, the contest was between individual suppliers. Sansung, hTC, ... would never outgrow Apple

- now that Samsung is the biggest seller, the comparison basis for Android is further narrowed down. How much of the Galaxy S II were sold?

Frankly guys, what do you care? Is it pure frustration that Android got twice as big as iOS in less than 2 years?

It's great that there is a successful product out there that can compete with Apple. It's good for Apple, and it pushes them harder to continue to be better

My problem with it is that there is only FUD, not actual numbers on Android sales. Apple puts out actual numbers.

I am always suspicious in such situations: they're obviously trying to hide something, and I wonder what that is.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

AAPL drops 40 bucks...

In a nutshell.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    Quote:

Actually, all we have is: Someone says that someone estimates that Samsung may have shipped 35 million phones....

Btw, Samsung dropped 15,000KW (or ~$13.5) per share in the Korean stock market between yesterday and today.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

AAPL drops 40 bucks...

Use it as an opportunity to buy more

Apple has 4% market share of mobile phones, 10% for computers, and 0% for TVs. What will the stock price be five years from now?
  • Reply 29 of 109
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

I think you got it backward. I think it's Android fans who's making up this.. that people believed Android will never be big (in term of number of sale) when it was first launched (I believe it will ultimately outsell iPhone since day one).

It's just a pure fantasy for the benefit of claiming victory later. What I don't understand is why do you care when one manufacturer sell many cheap phones and it have a big number? You care so much? Look at Kindle Fire. Are you surprised?

Next you will claim people said Kindle Fire didn't have a chance either.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    Funny how many imaginary battles were created in these previous posts to needlessly defend one of the most valuable companies in existence...

odd.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

It's too bad that Apple doesn't break down their iPhone sales... then we'd know which ones were using iOS...

[that's sarcasm in case anyone didn't get it...]

And if we only knew how many of them were smartphones. . .
  • Reply 32 of 109
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Too bad Samsung does not provide any audited data of any kind on their phone or tablet sales.

All we have are estimates put out by consulting-whoevers, and numbers that are wildly inconsistent with collateral data on things such as app sales, web traffic, etc.

Bottom line: I don't believe these sales figures in the least.

That's because sales figures have nothing to do with market share. The numbers usually estimated or provided are units shipped. Companies like Samsung flood the market with products just to guarantee themselves space on shelves. A lot of the products never actually sell, they are either given away or returned to the manufacturer.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

People called us at NeXT arrogant for saying NeXT was buying Apple. The Truth is in the results. The type of talent NeXT brought over rebuilt NeXT as Apple with all it's legacy of reputation and stagnant talent waiting for leadership.

Best business decision NeXT ever made was getting Apple to give NeXT 400 million to use the Apple name.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

And if we only knew how many of them were smartphones. . .

Actually, isn't that one of the arguments Androidians make... that not all iPhones are being used as smartphones and therefore some iPhones should not be included in smartphone sales.
  • Reply 35 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Companies like Samsung flood the market with products just to guarantee themselves space on shelves. A lot of the products never actually sell, they are either given away or returned to the manufacturer.

Citation for "a lot of (Samsung's) products never actually sell?" That Apple is successful is a given. Insinuating Samsung isn't? They're doing OK.
  • Reply 36 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Funny how many imaginary battles were created in these previous posts to needlessly defend one of the most valuable companies in existence...

odd.

Hmmm... the odd thing to me is how many people defend competing companies on an Apple fan site.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

I think this is part of SAMSUNG business strategy. What is needed is:

1. What is a smartphone

2. Which OS are allocated to the device [Android [flavors], MS Windows7, and Bada]

3. What is the average selling price per phone

4. What was the profit on the phones

5. How many of each phone or at least in aggregate were sold not shipped

My guess is that what is a smartphone is exaggerated, the profit will be lean on the phones, and shipped versus sold will diminish the real earning.

Only upon developing this kind of data, either from SAMSUNG or by analysts can real assessments be made with Apple and the market in general.

However, buzzy headlines that drive page clicks will probably be the rule of the day. My only hope is Horace at asymco.com will have made a stab at it building the data and making useful comparisons.

This kind of data is really important, as Windows 7 is strongly promoted with Nokia in 2012, there will be a Halo effect to SAMSUNG Windows versions and seeing who gets cannibalized if Windows gets traction will be interesting and important.

And how many weere free to the end buyer under the BOGO promotions.
  • Reply 38 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Use it as an opportunity to buy more

Apple has 4% market share of mobile phones, 10% for computers, and 0% for TVs. What will the stock price be five years from now?

The same.

Forward p/e of 2.7

• Reply 39 of 109
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pridon View Post

And how many weere free to the end buyer under the BOGO promotions.

Rampant BOGO sales can indicate a distributor having to slash prices in order to move product or a vendor having to slash prices to sell to distributors but in and of themselves they aren't a sign of poor sales. Look at Apple's free iPhone 3GS, which still makes more profit than other vendors premium models at $200-$300 subsidized prices.

We also have a recent and rare example of an iPhone BOGO at BestBuy for a model Apple stopped selling many months ago. This likely got passed around between distributors at slight losses due to a foolish purchase from Apple right before the 4S shipped.

It's only when you see BOGO across many markets and models over an extended period like we saw with RiM that there is an indication of a real issue. I don't think Samsung falls into that category in any sense as they are one of the few making money off Android. Bottom line: Apple is to the smartphone market what Samsung is to the Android OS market.
  • Reply 40 of 109
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Best business decision NeXT ever made was getting Apple to give NeXT 400 million to use the Apple name.

That's not fair to all the good Apple employees in the 90's. Apple brought a lot to the table, as did NeXT. Apple's problem was not so much the technology or products as it was lack of leadership and an unwillingness to break with the past.

The biggest gain for Apple from the acquisition was Jobs. NeXT was important, but Apple could have built their next generation on a number of different platforms if they had strong leadership.