Microsoft exec admits Windows Phone was response to Apple's iPhone

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 118
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    So many responses here seem to follow this flow:

1. All Microsoft has ever done is slavishly copy Apple.

2. All Microsoft products suck.

Can you see any logical inconsistencies in these two points?

Time will tell if Windows Phone 7 will succeed. Technical excellence doesn't necessarily equate to market success.
  • Reply 102 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

LOL. Microsoft will continue to fail with the horrible Windows Phone until they are forced to throw in the towel. Billions in share holders value will be destroyed on the failure. I love watching this train wreck...couldn't happen to a better company than Microsoft.

What do you think is so horrible about it? I'm quite fond of it. If they are guilty of any "copying" Apple with WP7 it's in refining particular features instead of simply adding everything they can think of without consideration of the system resources or how well these work for the user. Android OS, all its forking forks and the plethora of UIs from vendors can't say the same thing. While WP7 may not succeed it's not because it's not a competent and modern mobile OS.

Personally, I think there is still a chance for WP7 to gain traction because MS can sit on and improve their OS for many years without a profit and because Android is so irrevocably fractured that the Skeksis worship it. You can look at the Xbox 260 to see MS' ability to persevere despite losing billions and the history of the PC market to see how an early leader in marketshare can be hurt if they can't find a way to make it profitable. So far Samsung and MS seem to be the only ones making any decent money off Android.
  • Reply 103 of 118
    qualarqualar Posts: 72member
    I switched from the iphone several months ago for a HTC Titan. I am loving WP7. I thought the smaller app store would be a killer but it has most of the key apps and seems to be growing at a good pace.
  • Reply 104 of 118
    I've never understood the laughing at that comment. The iPhone sold plenty when it cost that much, but didn't really take off until the price was down to a couple hundred dollars.
  • Reply 105 of 118
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Time will tell if Windows Phone 7 will succeed. Technical excellence doesn't necessarily equate to market success.

But still, that doesn't mean that Microsoft doesn't copy or their products don't suck.
  • Reply 106 of 118
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

All good points. You have to understand that, around here, folks see only thorns on roses from parts not called Cupertino, whereas even farts from Apple come up roses. Objectivity is a scarce commodity. To be fair, this is the case on most sites.
  • Reply 107 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by runner7775 View Post

I've never understood the laughing at that comment. The iPhone sold plenty when it cost that much, but didn't really take off until the price was down to a couple hundred dollars.

Another good point.
  • Reply 108 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

didn't Balmer diss the iPhone by saying it would flop? The guy is a total hack that should be fired.

Hack? That might be a bit much. But he is the exemplar of what happens when a salesman gets to run a technology company at the wrong time.
  • Reply 109 of 118
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qualar View Post

I switched from the iphone several months ago for a HTC Titan. I am loving WP7. I thought the smaller app store would be a killer but it has most of the key apps and seems to be growing at a good pace.

If it works for you, then that is all that matters.
  • Reply 110 of 118
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

No logical inconsistency at all. If Microsoft does a bad job of copying, both statements could be true.

I'm not going to argue that the above statements are true (Kinect, for example, does not copy Apple, nor does it suck), but your statement is clearly false.
  • Reply 111 of 118
    huntercrhuntercr Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

To think Microsoft chewed off their good arm (Courier) in their effort to get out.

You know I've thought a long time about this. I think Microsoft had to kill Courier because they knew they couldn't get the software ( and hardware ) working in time to be competitive. Part of the alure of Couier was that it was intelligent and intuitive and did far more than iOS at the time.

The only problem was that it was 98% vapor. The entire presentation we all saw was at the same level of one of those "technogy of the FUTURE!" demos.

There may have been some real design documentation on it somewhere , and some piecemeal rudimentary componenets, but what Courier imples would be a foundation change in OS, ui design etc. Microsoft simply wasn't ready. Look how long it has taken them to do what they have done.

I'm guessing they took what good research they really had on this and moved it to Windows 8. Maybe Courier will see the light of day some day. i thought it was actually pretty clever.
  • Reply 112 of 118
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

Part of the alure of Couier was that it was intelligent and intuitive and did far more than iOS at the time.

The only problem was that it was 98% vapor. The entire presentation we all saw was at the same level of one of those "technogy of the FUTURE!" demos.

i thought it was actually pretty clever.

Sort of like the Star Trek transporter.
  • Reply 113 of 118
    After reading Steve Jobs biography where it talks about making UI simple, and leaving out things like creating playlists on ipods because it will always be better to do on a pc, I find WP7 to be one of the best examples of a company outside Apple implementing Apples seeing principles.

There's obviously a big difference in the general style of WP7 and IOS, but if you look at everything else MS has learned a lot. E.g.

- Number of buttons. Wp7 has swipe gestures rather than a tab strip. The panorama screens are also easy to visualise, tabs on IOS arnt actually tabs any more, there just buttons that update a panel.

- 1 screen on apps rather than 8. The alphabetical jump list means all apps are very quick to get to even when you have 60, rather than remembering which page folder combination its on.

- Zune on the PC couldn't get much simpler

- Jump lists where you press a decent size button to bring up the alphabet and then click the letter you want is a really simple idea.

- The whole is just feels like it uses gestures a lot more.

IOS is still great but I think when people are putting wp7 down they should actually think about how many of the principle ideas are actualy more apple than Microsoft.
  • Reply 114 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope Windows is successful. Android needs some competition.

Yeah, but you never hear the Fandroids say that. It's always "Apple needs competition," like they give a flying fart what Apple does...
  • Reply 115 of 118
    ratsgratsg Posts: 53member
    When have you ever known them to do otherwise?

ms has begged, borrowed or stolen pretty much everything from the get go. Starting with DOS. You can argue the BASIC compiler, but that already existed on other platforms, it was just a rewrite for their (ms) platform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

There's a lot of truth to that. Microsoft has fallen into a position of constant reaction instead of action.

• Reply 116 of 118
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    This is what people who despise Apple can't or refuse to understand. Even if for some reason you dislike APple products, once can't deny that Apple has pushed forward the entire industry and without them, everything else, whether it be windows phone or android, etc, would be much worse than it is now. They forced everyone to up their game and therefore everybody wins, especially consumers. And now this is an admittal right from the horses mouth, contrary to the 'LOL WINDOWS PHONE 7 WOULD HAVE COME OUT ANYWAY' bullshit that people spew.
  • Reply 117 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This is what people who despise Apple can't or refuse to understand. Even if for some reason you dislike APple products, once can't deny that Apple has pushed forward the entire industry and without them, everything else, whether it be windows phone or android, etc, would be much worse than it is now. They forced everyone to up their game and therefore everybody wins, especially consumers. And now this is an admittal right from the horses mouth, contrary to the 'LOL WINDOWS PHONE 7 WOULD HAVE COME OUT ANYWAY' bullshit that people spew.

No one denies Apple deserves a lot of credit...but Apple doesn't deserve ALL of the credit.

Keyword being All.

Also...I try not to deal in ifs I deal with where tech was at a time. And at the time of the iPhone launch tech had just gotten to the point where an iPhone was possible...so advances in mobile Tech were most likely 2 or 3 years out...maybe less if one of the many concepts from around the iPhone announcement were released sometime soon.

What I'm shocked at is that no one picked up the BenQ BlackBox concept phone and made that a reality...even today it looks beautiful.
  • Reply 118 of 118
    Those who tend to buy Apple products not because we are necessarily loyal to the company, but because when new iPhones or iPads are released, they are at the leading edge in technological advance. It is no surprise or secret that most other companies, such as Windows, are scrambling to keep up and maintain any form of a competitive edge. Like a previous person posted, it would be news if Windows denied the fact that they came out with the Windows phone in response to the iPhone.