Five years of iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    "Are you getting it?"

I watched that announcement online, and I have always wondered, was the audience too slow in understanding the "joke", that the "three devices" were in fact one? Or was Steve Jobs getting worried that this "joke" simply hadn't worked?

"So, three things," Jobs said, repeating each of the three. He then repeated all three again, as his backdrop animated between an iPod icon, a Phone icon and the Safari icon. "Are you getting it?" Jobs asked. "These are not three separate devices! This is one device. And we are calling it iPhone. Today Apple is going to reinvent the phone. Here it is."

Looking back over five years, it is hard to remember how awful and unusable mobile phones that were supposedly able to connect to the internet then, or send and receive email, really were. Or how much money those of use who wanted to do so had to pay for the phone and the service.

In context, the iPhone really did "change everything".
  • Reply 22 of 36
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

Looking back over five years, it is hard to remember how awful and unusable mobile phones that were supposedly able to connect to the internet then, or send and receive email, really were. Or how much money those of use who wanted to do so had to pay for the phone and the service.

In context, the iPhone really did "change everything".

True, but I still remember how amazing it was when I was able to use a WAP browser on my Sanyo. Then I got a Treo and that was amazing too. All the while they had nothing on a real desktop browser, but it was just as amazing as if you could suddenly browse the web from your toaster. Now, we take it for granted. (edit: from the phone, not the toaster)
  • Reply 23 of 36
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Great article, goes to show the industry fumbling in its attempt to match Apple's revolutionary design.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    That was the greatest keynote ever and Steve Jobs at his best.

It was jaw-dropping, mind-blowing, sh!t your pants good!
  • Reply 25 of 36
    I saw this

"...Samsung's performance seems to have more correlation to the company's "slavish copying" of Apple than its use of Android..."

I don't buy that for a second. There may be a correlation, but is there actual causation? Where's the data to prove this. Samsung's improved sales could easily have come from a strong customer base and customer satisfaction. Apple isn't the only company that makes nice products.

Would I buy a Samsung Phone running Android? No, I have owned 3 iPhones (3GS, 4 and 4s) and the only other phone that I would consider is the Nokia N9 running MeeGo. Too bad Nokia dumped MeeGo for Win7 Phone OS. :/ Android doesn't interest me anymore, but I have to admit Samsung makes nice phones. I used a Samsung Nexus S and a Samsung Focus (same hardware) and was blown away by the screen alone. If only Samsung would get away from the cheap-feeling plastics. Maybe if they used a unibody polycarbonate like the Nokia N9 and Nokia Lumina N800.

Sorry for the long post, but when a news article uses "seems" to try and push an idea/agenda (Bash Samsung because their phones look like iPhones!!!! Get the torches and pitchforks!!!) I really get annoyed.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

Looking back over five years, it is hard to remember how awful and unusable mobile phones that were supposedly able to connect to the internet then, or send and receive email, really were.

It is hard for me to look back and remember how awful and unusable the 1st gen iPhone was compared to the current models. I pulled out an old 1st gen iPod and iPhone that my wife owns (both running the original OS) and was just floored at how far the iPhone has come.

I really do miss the aluminum body (but not the recessed headphone jack) of the first iPhone. I truly hope Apple moves on to a aluminum unibody design this year.

While of the subject of wishes...how about some more widgets for the iPhone notification screen? Controls for wifi/3g/airport mode/etc/etc, camera button widget so we don't have to double tap the home button when on the lock screen, etc. I might be able to think of more after having my morning coffee.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

What's really amazing about the iPhone introduction video is how little the interface has changed in 5 years because they got so much right on day one. Sure, there were some rough edges but the original concepts have definitely withstood the test of time. Here's to the next 5 years!

I hear people complain about how it hasn't changed in 5 years. Not just posters here but tech reviewers claiming Apple is doomed because they aren't radically modifying how you interact with the device every year. They built well and now everyone is mimicing them. Not just with the iPhone but with all other areas of their business. Just look at CES for proof.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitnigujjar View Post

Iphone and home internet is there a reason to keep both?

Well, if you use more than 2GB a month and don't mind paying $10 for each additional 1GB of data, sure...drop your home internet.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I saw this

"...Samsung's performance seems to have more correlation to the company's "slavish copying" of Apple than its use of Android..."

I don't buy that for a second. There may be a correlation, but is there actual causation? Where's the data to prove this. Samsung's improved sales could easily have come from a strong customer base and customer satisfaction. Apple isn't the only company that makes nice products.

Would I buy a Samsung Phone running Android? No, I have owned 3 iPhones (3GS, 4 and 4s) and the only other phone that I would consider is the Nokia N9 running MeeGo. Too bad Nokia dumped MeeGo for Win7 Phone OS. :/ Android doesn't interest me anymore, but I have to admit Samsung makes nice phones. I used a Samsung Nexus S and a Samsung Focus (same hardware) and was blown away by the screen alone. If only Samsung would get away from the cheap-feeling plastics. Maybe if they used a unibody polycarbonate like the Nokia N9 and Nokia Lumina N800.

Sorry for the long post, but when a news article uses "seems" to try and push an idea/agenda (Bash Samsung because their phones look like iPhones!!!! Get the torches and pitchforks!!!) I really get annoyed.

Samsung isn't alone in using Android, but that's not the unique reason why it is experiencing growth. In fact, the failure of Motorola, Sony Ericsson and LG to perform as well offers some question as to why the most popular Android phones are ones that look and work most similar to the iPhone.

Really one has to be rather obtuse to think that Samsung has left its peers behind for any other reason than that it has most closely and desperately aped Apple, and is hailed as being "almost as good, if not better" than the iPhone in the same way Windows 95 was promoted by the PC media.

It's also enlightening that people like you demand proof for Samsung's copying of Apple, yet express faith that is Android "winning" even though no evidence supports the idea that Android is successful as a platform, as a profit center, or as a component that enhances a devices reported satisfaction rating.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Phones have progressed alot in 5 years but the US cell networks need to catch up and be more affordable plus address the bandwidth problems that the next 5 years will bring.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Phones have progressed alot in 5 years but the US cell networks need to catch up and be more affordable plus address the bandwidth problems that the next 5 years will bring.

They're already more affordable. We're forced into buying data. It's not a limitation of the phone or the carrier to not offer data plans, they choose to make us pay extortionate rates for absolutely no reason. The rest of the planet doesn't force iPhone users to have data plans.

Telecom data is 968 times more expensive than home Internet for no other reason than they want it to be.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Samsung isn't alone in using Android, but that's not the unique reason why it is experiencing growth. In fact, the failure of Motorola, Sony Ericsson and LG to perform as well offers some question as to why the most popular Android phones are ones that look and work most similar to the iPhone.

Really one has to be rather obtuse to think that Samsung has left its peers behind for any other reason than that it has most closely and desperately aped Apple, and is hailed as being "almost as good, if not better" than the iPhone in the same way Windows 95 was promoted by the PC media.

It's also enlightening that people like you demand proof for Samsung's copying of Apple, yet express faith that is Android "winning" even though no evidence supports the idea that Android is successful as a platform, as a profit center, or as a component that enhances a devices reported satisfaction rating.

I'm not sure if Samsung copying iPhone is the reason they are successful on the Android front...may have more to do with the fact that their phones aren't Butt Ugly (Hello Moto!) or super redundant (Hello HTC). And correct me if I'm wrong but comparatively they release much fewer phones (if you don't count diff models of the same phone like the SGS2 and 1 in the US)

Motorola phones have been ugly for a LONG time now and whatever person (chimp?) they have designing their UI and hardware needed to be fired in 2008.

HTC...Sense is meh to me...they need to debloat that interface...it's downright tacky IMO.

While Samsung's touchwhiz may have began life as a damn near 1:1 copy of iOS it has evolved into a colorful, yet simple UI layer and they don't seem to have messed around with the core functionality of Android as much considering.

I'm rooting for HTC though. From the get they've been the most unique with regards to responding to iOS.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Long Live the iPhone!
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

When Steve Jobs announced the original iPhone running iOS 1.0, he said that it was five years ahead of the competition.

I think he was wrong but there are things that the original iPhone did that its competitors still don't do as well.

Steve Jobs really did figure Apple had a five year lead on the competition and also said so later in an "All Things D" discussion. If you factor out the heavy note-taking Larry Page did while sitting on the Apple board, Apple would have most of a five-year lead.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I am really amazed at how long it has taken Microsoft to figure out an OS to compete with iOS...and they (like RIM) still don't have an OS ready to launch until maybe late this year.

Even before reading this article I was thinking that Google's purchase of Motorola would have bad consequences with the phone manufacturers that utilized Android. The article did show how that is playing out with further fractering of the Android platform...interestingly, it's not the later versions of Android that are moving ahead via Samsung and Amazon.

If, as this article suggests, the general smart phone manufacturing business is spending most of a year regaining its balance in 2012, that passes the initive to Apple to further distance itself from the competition... a dangerous thing to allow.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hear people complain about how it hasn't changed in 5 years. Not just posters here but tech reviewers claiming Apple is doomed because they aren't radically modifying how you interact with the device every year. They built well and now everyone is mimicing them. Not just with the iPhone but with all other areas of their business. Just look at CES for proof.

Apple, unlike its competitors, isn't thrashing around looking for something that will set them apart from all their competitors that use the same OS; usually Android OS.

Apple, of course, hasn't stood still with their UI. There has been many changes leading up to the addition of Siri, which really blows away the need for a keyboard, and most of the other UI issues that keep a user from easily using some of the phone's features.

Voice control will be the next big thing with the iPhone's competitors, but when one exhibitor at CES had to tell his device to "go home" I thought I had encountered a time warp to the past. Then during Ballmer's Keynote speech when he demoed the voice-to-text function of the Windows 8 phone and "Sounds great" only got through as "sounds," I knew Apple has a good year or two lead with Siri.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:

Jobs started his keynote with the words, "We're going to make some history together today."

And he was 100% right. It's scary how far ahead the very first iPhone was, and maybe is to this day.

Anyone that actually watches the first iPhone keynote knows how significant it was when it launched.