Apple issues third beta of iOS 5.1 developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple on Monday supplied developers with a new pre-release build of its mobile operating system in the form of iOS 5.1 beta 3.

Little is known so far about the latest beta, which was issued to test devices as an over-the-air update. iOS 5.1 beta 1 is not yet available to developers as a direct download from Apple, and as such, there aren't yet any release notes.

The second beta of iOS 5.1 came a month ago, and gave developers the ability to delete individual Photo Stream pictures. In current, public versions of iOS, users cannot delete individual Photo Stream pictures, and must turn off the Photo Stream feature entirely if they do not want a picture to be stored on Apple's servers.

iOS 5.1 beta 3 is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touch.

The first beta of iOS 5.1 was provided to developers in late November. It included references to a next-generation iPhone, labeled "iPhone5,1," as well as third-generation iPad models, "iPad3,2" and "iPad3,3."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iOS 5.1 beta 3 is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touch.

Not the first-gen iPad?
  • Reply 2 of 49
    And now you can manually disable 3G in network settings. Modem goes up to 1.5.04.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not the first-gen iPad?

Wow, that was quick. Obsolete by 2012.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    donw35donw35 Posts: 30member
    strange, 3GS is included and not the iPad first gen
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donw35 View Post

strange, 3GS is included and not the iPad first gen

Says 3GS RIGHT there in the story?
  • Reply 6 of 49
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Not the first-gen iPad?

1st gen is supported. AI is.... Well nevermind.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Quote:

Says 3GS RIGHT there in the story?

Right and he said it WAS included, but not the original iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Right and he said it WAS included, but not the original iPad.

Welp, I'm a moron. Dyslexia for cure found?
  • Reply 9 of 49
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
  • Reply 10 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

So essentially everything that currently supports iOS 5.0/5.01... who'd have thunk it?
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

So essentially everything that currently supports iOS 5.0/5.01... who'd have thunk it?

Whew. Good for another year at least.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

And now you can manually disable 3G in network settings. Modem goes up to 1.5.04.

In the 4S and/or Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4, because this has been possible with the GSM/UMTS versions of the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. I assume the issue was down to the new MDM66x0 chipset but with the excessive revisions to the modem firmware I wouldn't be surprised if the 4S has been given this option.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In the 4S and/or Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4, because this has been possible with the GSM/UMTS versions of the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. I assume the issue was down to the new MDM66x0 chipset but with the excessive revisions to the modem firmware I wouldn't be surprised if the 4S has been given this option.

I have the 4S on AT&T. I can't speak for the others.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Quote:

I have the 4S on AT&T. I can't speak for the others.

The GSM-based 4S is the only place it was really needed. It's mostly pointless to turn off '3G' on CDMA/CDMA2000 since the voice is still sent over '2G'.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Whew. Good for another year at least.

The iPhone 3GS will lose support before the iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The GSM-based 4S is the only place it was really needed. It's mostly pointless to turn off '3G' on CDMA/CDMA2000 since the voice is still sent over '2G'.

Is there a way to not receive phone calls and have them go directly to voicemail? I ask because I want to have my data but not have the incoming call override the screen while using maps or texting etc. I would rather see like a notification size info bar at the top instead of the whole screen taken over.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The iPhone 3GS will lose support before the iPad.

My guess is that the 3GS won't live past 5.1, remember that the 1st gen only got to 3.1.x.

I would be very surprised if the 1st gen iPad got beyond iOS 5.2.x, it certainly won't get iOS6.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is there a way to not receive phone calls and have them go directly to voicemail? I ask because I want to have my data but not have the incoming call override the screen while using maps or texting etc. I would rather see like a notification size info bar at the top instead of the whole screen taken over.

Perhaps not ideally and this could be a bug but you used to be able to enable Airplane Mode and then enable WiFi so that the cellular chips are inactive.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes there is http://bit.ly/A40gvu
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

?it certainly won't get iOS6.

What makes you say that?