Foxconn, Pegatron to ship first batch of 'iPad 3' units in early March - rumor

2»

Comments

• Reply 23 of 32
    And those have nothing to do with the thread.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Now if they would add the possibility to stream a h264 mkv file from a samba share... but that's only a software change...

That ability will NEVER be available natively through the OS. So stop waiting for it. However, theres dozens of apps that can do that. I suggesting finding the best one and using it.

OSX doesn't even play MKV natively.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/blog...eat-at-foxconn

More Foxconn

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And those have nothing to do with the thread.

What is your point? Apple is only one of the many, many, companies that Foxconn manufactures products for under contract.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Excuse me," Roosevelt said with a casual air, "Why should we bother with this atomic bomb thing? The Soviets aren't working on one, the Germans aren't working on one? What's the point of being ahead of everyone else?"

And earlier, in the 30s?

"Entschuldigung," sagt Herr Hitler, "Warum sollten wir bauen eine Autobahn? Die Amerikaner haben keine Autobahn?"

You have to remember that you can't just add the Retina Display and leave everything else unaltered. To deliver that resolution on such a large screen (much different to doing it on a 3.5-inch smartphone) you have to either lose on a lot of fronts or beef up the specifications to compensate for the extra strain the greater resolution causes which brings its own set of problems.

The much higher resolution would mean a greater drain on the battery so you either lose battery life or you increase the capacity of the battery which probably means making the device heavier. This is, after all, a handheld device so weight matters. I can't imagine that Apple could be happy with bringing out a heavier iPad which would make it less comfortable to hold for longer periods. Yet how could Apple be happy about seeing battery life diminished, likewise a bad thing in terms of the overall user experience. I can't see how they could get away with retaining existing battery life and not gaining any weight. Can't have both and a Retina display. That's not how physics works.

Then there is the matter of cost. I don't know how much more expensive a Retina-like display would be compared to the existing iPad resolution but it wouldn't surprise me if it added at least $100 to the cost of the unit. Making the iPad $100 more expensive to the purchaser would be counter-productive. The reason the iPad succeeded is that Apple hit the sweet spot in terms of price. Having done that and going into a period of economic uncertainty globally, is now the time to take the iPad $100 or more up market. I think that answer is not a chance.

And what content, exactly, are we to expect that would take advantage of the higher resolution. If such content was provided, now you have the problem of seeing a lot of memory capacity evaporate. It certainly wouldn't help Apple's bottom line if to compensate it would offer to provide more memory at not additional charge. If the cost of that additional memory was passed on to the consumer, again this would be undesirable in these uncertain economic times.

When the iPad comes within $50 of the competition, which it does right now, it's an easy choice to make. Force the choice to be between other companies' $500 tablets and Apple's $650 tablet and now the choice is not so clear in Apple's favour.

I get the impression that some think that if Apple added a much higher-resolution display, it would just be a simple upgrade on the previous model but there is a downside to attempting to go so much higher in resolution at this time.

Apple is not about chasing specs. Apple has always focused on the user experience and while a higher resolution would be a nice upgrade, forcing a lot of negative trade-offs to make that happen would produce an iPad that most would regard as a substantial downgrade on the current model. Way more expensive, bulkier, with poorer battery performance. If that's what the iPad 3 serves up, I would recommend rushing out to purchase the iPad 2 instead while quantities last. I would also begin to seriously consider selling my Apple stock for the first time in nearly a decade if we ended up with a pricier, bulkier iPad. Jobs would not have approved.

The question isn't would we like more resolution, the question is how badly do we want/need that resolution, as in what design compromises are acceptable to accommodate it.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If predict you are wrong. Apple didn't invest billions in Sharps's LCD production facilities for no reason.

There is a rumour afoot that Apple intends to get into the television market. Perhaps their investment in Sharp is more about that. It certainly would make more sense that a new venture like an Apple TV set is the reason for that investment.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If predict you are wrong. Apple didn't invest billions in Sharps's LCD production facilities for no reason.

They might have for this year, unless there's a TV in the works. 9to5 (via PatentlyApple) is reporting Sharp can't pass Apple's quality tests, with Samsung and LG filling the slot for the next iPad display. . . All 65M of 'em!

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/11/rumor-...roval-process/

http://english.etnews.com/news/detai...d=201201100006
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

They might have for this year, unless there's a TV in the works. 9to5 (via PatentlyApple) is reporting Sharp can't pass Apple's quality tests, with Samsung and LG filling the slot for the next iPad display. . . All 65M of 'em!

http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/11/rumor-...roval-process/

http://english.etnews.com/news/detai...d=201201100006

The only way Apple sells anywhere close to that many iPad 3s is if the price remains unchanged. Yet how likely is it that Apple can do the engineering needed to accommodate a Retina display yet keep the price at current levels.

It's not as if I would be disappointed if Apple did deliver an iPad 3 with a higher resolution. It's that it seems to me that the timing is wrong. If a high-res screen is in the iPad's future, that future is not 2012.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

No Retina-like display is what I predict. No use for it and lots of reasons to leave it out of this revision. No Retina = better battery life, lighter weight, more effective memory, faster performance, lower cost.

Why do this when the competition is not going to go there this coming year. Makes no sense.

The Retina Display improves text legibility, less so for Western alphabets than others.

Various non-Western languages and alphabets benefit more from a Retina Display: Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Sanskrit/Devanagari, Arabic, etc. but particularly logographic types like hanzi (which form the basis of Chinese as well as the Japanese kanji alphabet).

You need to get out of your Americanized mindset and see the forest for the trees.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    If Apple is labeling it the iPad 2S -- then I figure that means NO Retina Display.

They may however have the larger battery and upgraded processor and GPU of the higher-rez iPad 3, so it's going to be a good improvement.

Likely they just couldn't get enough of the high resolution displays to make this version.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The Retina Display improves text legibility, less so for Western alphabets than others.

Various non-Western languages and alphabets benefit more from a Retina Display: Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Sanskrit/Devanagari, Arabic, etc. but particularly logographic types like hanzi (which form the basis of Chinese as well as the Japanese kanji alphabet).

You need to get out of your Americanized mindset and see the forest for the trees.

That may well be true but it is a matter of what makes the most sense taking all factors into consideration. I'm in no position to make a determination regarding the timing of when an upgrade in resolution should happen. But it is not Apple's MO to rush anything. Quite the contrary, Apple has a history of holding off on releasing a technology until such time as it makes sense.

Is it possible that a higher-resolution screen can be put in the iPad at this time without seriously compromising the device. Clearly that could be the case. Yet it is also possible that right now the technology's time has not yet arrived. So what is Apple supposed to do, make an inferior device in many respects in order to accommodate a technology that benefits a small percentage of customers? It can't work that way. Apple has set a standard in terms of weight (a hand-held device can not get heavier), price point (adding $150 to $200 to the iPad kills the device's appeal), battery life, etc.

If the display's resolution can be upgraded without hurting other aspects of the device, then it is obvious that Apple would make that change. It may well be that a different display technology might have to be used in order to deliver Retina-like ppi in a 9.7-inch screen but such technology is not available at a reasonable cost right now. At least that's how it seems to me. I have no inside info and as such I can't say that with any certainty.

I guess my basic point is, let's not be irrational about all of this. Apple has to deal with the realities of putting a product on the market that allows Apple to make money and give customers what they want, which is how you make money. The iPad, as is, more or less does that right now. There's room for improvement. There always is. Yet that improvement can't be rushed. The technology determines the timing. If a display of the sort rumoured to be going into the next iPad were that easy to add to such a device, we'd have seen lots of announcements about that technology going into upcoming tablets from competitors at CES this week. Didn't happen.