12% of iPad owners in the enterprise no longer use their laptop

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

an iPad designed for work would have 8GB of RAM and a full size, tactile action keyboard. I'm not sure how you could do my computing loads or even type supervisory emails without a keyboard. Not to say it wouldn't sell... it clearly would sell, probably even without a screen. Macbook Air continues to be the most exciting Apple product for me. And, it's flawed. Screen rez is not good enough and RAM is too light. The future will include actual computing, including WinXP type applications and terminal windows, for at least 20 more years. Minimum.

1) Why do you need 8GB RAM for the iPad?

2) Using an iPad doesn't mean not using a physical keyboard. Apple even sells one with a dock specifically for the iPad.

3) It really depends on the job. This past week I saw an iPad used as a cash register in a restaurant and one used for inventory in a warehouse. There are apparently apps that are designed specifically for these uses.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    Quote:

Macbook Air continues to be the most exciting Apple product for me. And, it's flawed. Screen rez is not good enough and RAM is too light. The future will include actual computing, including WinXP type applications and terminal windows, for at least 20 more years. Minimum.

I use WinXP for work on my 11" Air through Parallels VM. Performance is more than adequate but a bigger screen rez would be nice, although it might mean I need reading glasses.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nastybrit View Post

I work in a maintenance department and use my personal iPad often. Have loads of building plans with locations of vital services, sub boards and stop valves that are hidden above ceilings. Also used it on equipment that we no longer have plans for and needed wiring diagrams to repair, google search and done. Saved me loads of time. Management are now thinking of using them now to issue jobs also. Fantastic tool.

Thanks for the real-world report. And I agree that the operative word is "tool."

As the cameras get better and more augmented reality is baked in, in might become thought of as an "instrument" as well. As in surveyor's transit, astrolabe, etc.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

an iPad designed for work would have 8GB of RAM and a full size, tactile action keyboard. I'm not sure how you could do my computing loads or even type supervisory emails without a keyboard.

First of all, any person with average motor skills can type just fine on an iPad. I can type pretty fast on a regular keyboard or on an iPad if needed. I can probably type faster on an iPad than you can on a regular keyboard.

And also, if somebody does want or need to use a regular keyboard with physical keys, then you can just wirelessly hook one up to the iPad if you want via bluetooth.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    And just think...Apple is making the iPad even better to further widen its uses over laptops. Wow! Waiting to get my iPad 3!
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

iPads are just toys...

That's right. So are PCs, said my dad, back in 1986. Toys. Everyone knows you get real work done on mainframes programmed with a stack of punchcards.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The fact is that laptops have always been a compromise device, low on power, efficiency and ease of portability. And, most people simply don't need a laptop for their mobile computing needs. A powerful desktop with a large screen to maximize productivity combined with an ultra-portable iPad is the best of all worlds.

Indeed. In that respect, it is fascinating to watch again the Steve's iPad presentation keynote. Before presenting the device, he very clearly stated what would be the positioning of this device. At that time, competitors should have considered seriously the implications of this very clear strategy ....
  • Reply 28 of 79
    Don't have one yet, but I anticipate that my iPad 3 will severely cut into my MacBook Pro time.

Can't wait!
  • Reply 29 of 79
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Quote:

an iPad designed for work would have 8GB of RAM and a full size, tactile action keyboard. I'm not sure how you could do my computing loads or even type supervisory emails without a keyboard. Not to say it wouldn't sell... it clearly would sell, probably even without a screen. Macbook Air continues to be the most exciting Apple product for me. And, it's flawed. Screen rez is not good enough and RAM is too light. The future will include actual computing, including WinXP type applications and terminal windows, for at least 20 more years. Minimum.

I use my iPad for business more than my laptop. The iPad is perfect for responding to emails and for keeping in touch with customers. Many of the business applications I need for work are web based so I don't need to run the application locally. As I have a 3G iPad, I'm not limited to a local network. So I'm one of those who carry my laptop less but still do the heavy lifting on my desktop. I now carry my iPad on trips more than I carry my laptop. Looks like I'm not alone.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Interestingly, between the MB Air and the iPhone, I find myself using the iPad less and less. The MBA is almost as easy to move around as the iPad, but can do quite a few things better. Where a foldup computer is inconvenient, the iPhone seems to work pretty well.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Golden Gala View Post

Tallest Skil, You're paid by Microsoft to troll these boards, aren't you?

SolipsismX is a paid shill from Samsung...
  • Reply 32 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

First of all, any person with average motor skills can type just fine on an iPad. I can type pretty fast on a regular keyboard or on an iPad if needed. I can probably type faster on an iPad than you can on a regular keyboard.

There's a difference between typing just fine and enjoying the typing experience. One can get accustomed to the touchscreen typing, but one cannot argue it's a superior experience.

Quote:

And also, if somebody does want or need to use a regular keyboard with physical keys, then you can just wirelessly hook one up to the iPad if you want via bluetooth.

Sure, but then the MBA is easier to carry around than an iPad+keyboard.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

IBM, actually. They're still sore from Apple dropping them.

That's a long time to hold a grudge.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

There's a difference between typing just fine and enjoying the typing experience. One can get accustomed to the touchscreen typing, but one cannot argue it's a superior experience.

Sure, I can agree with that. I don't mind typing out short messages on an iPad and that works pretty much hassle free and quick, but if I was going to type something very long or write a book, I would prefer to be doing it on a physical keyboard.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is exactly the trend I expected when the iPad was first announced, and the percentage for whom it will replace a laptop will continue to grow as people become more used to using iPads and iPads become more powerful over time.

The fact is that laptops have always been a compromise device, low on power, efficiency and ease of portability. And, most people simply don't need a laptop for their mobile computing needs. A powerful desktop with a large screen to maximize productivity combined with an ultra-portable iPad is the best of all worlds.

I suspect I'll finally be an iMac+iPad user in 2012. I have been using notebooks long before it was commonplace and when cost and comprises were much higher.

It's interesting that the notebook was once vilified for being much less of a machine that cost so much more yet now you can even plenty of gaming laptops on the market, a place that the compromises can really show.

PS: I thought the iPad presentation was the worst of them. Seemed unrehearsed.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

And just think...Apple is making the iPad even better to further widen its uses over laptops. Wow! Waiting to get my iPad 3!

The iPad 3 could be the tipping point device-- the one that takes an Apple product from the familiar "sells really, really well and is changing how people do things" to the also familiar "sells insanely well and becomes the iconic cornerstone of an entirely new economy (ala the iPod and the iPhone).

You could argue that that's already happened, but the existing computing landscape is quite a bit more established and entrenched than either MP3 players or smart phones were, so I think it takes quite a bit more impact before we can declare the iPad to be a transformative device of the sort those earlier products were.

Particularly if Apple chooses to continue selling the iPad 2 at a discount we'll see massive, massive increases in the numbers of iPads in circulation, and massive, massive increases in the ways they become standard issue for all kinds of jobs.

A lot of people still haven't noticed that "real work", these days and for many people, actually isn't much more than managing email and schedules, using the web, and referring to documentation. The iPad is already plenty capable on those fronts, and is only getting more powerful/capable all the time.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

It's kind of funny how people buy Android tablets that suck so much out of the box, that the users have to go and fiddle around, overwriting the OS that comes with it and install other versions on their own.

Those people think that they're being smart and geeky, but they're actually being quite foolish, as what they're doing is a waste of time, since their newly rooted version that they spent time on will still suck and offer poor performance compared to iOS.

Then if you root it and flash a rom and brick it you will spend hours scouring the forums for a fix.....not very productive...
  • Reply 38 of 79
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

We're making light of the arguments the trolls and general anti-Apple characters use against the iPad's enormous success.

Most of us that have followed the forums know that your comments were dripping with sarcasm...but I guess some might not have caught it..

At my work we have several VPs that come to meetings with their HP laptop....iPad...iPhone AND their BB. We just can't get them to cut the ties to their old devices......so instead of being light and productive they carry both sets of work devices but display their Apple gadgetry first!
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: I thought the iPad presentation was the worst of them. Seemed unrehearsed.

I know you have me on ignore, or at least that's what you wrote, but I'm going to reply to your comment anyway, because it doesn't really matter if you read it or not.

I though that the first iPad presentation was pretty good.

I wasn't even considering getting an iPad, but when that $499 came dropping down on the screen, I bet that there were a lot of people who were flabbergasted. I knew right then, that I'd eventually have to get one.

It may not be the best keynote ever, but it certainly is not the worst keynote of all.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

IBM, actually. They're still sore from Apple dropping them.

This has been the most entertaining thread for a long time, you guys have had me falling off my chair laughing. I just feel bad for those that didn't understand or get the fact you were all kidding around.

Seriously though, I've been playing with OnLive ... it is scarily good, my wife thought I'd gone over to the dark side when she spied my iPad running what looks like Windows 7. What's your take on it people? Enterprise must love it surely? My only concern is it might be a trojan horse for an MS tablet ...