Apple posts full video of iBooks 2 education event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If you look at the iPad at 42:39 into the video -- it shows a iPad held in portrait mode with a connector on the long side -- and there doesn't appear to be any home button.

If your 42:39 is the same as mine, the young lady, I think you'll find she is holding it landscape mode. The foreshortening of perspective due to the camera lens' focal length is making it look like portrait that's all.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If your 42:39 is the same as mine, the young lady, I think you'll find she is holding it landscape mode. The foreshortening of perspective due to the camera lens' focal length is making it look like portrait that's all.

That's what I see at 42m:39s. There is something with the angle that makes the Home Button appear to go away for a frame but it's still the same girl, with the same device, using it in the same way. Apple is too secretive to through us a bone like that.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

School boards don't have any money.

Text Books are 1/32 the cost and last 32x longer then an iPad in the hands of kids would. ...

Ridiculous nonsense. This *may* be the case for *some* elementary schools, but that's it.

The textbooks for a single University course (college/university being the target of today's announcement BTW), are often higher than a single iPad.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:

Text Books are 1/32 the cost and last 32x longer then an iPad in the hands of kids would.

Schools can't afford art teachers or janitors anymore - so how are they going to pay for technical support on iPads? Are they going to purchase new iPads every 2 or 3 years when the batteries start to fail or the OS is no longer supported?

My wife works in the eMINTS program and is directly responsible for overseeing technology in the classroom and teaching teachers to use technology in their classrooms in our local school district. Here we have schools which used various devices, like iPod Touches, in the classroom routinely.

The children are surprisingly respectful to the Apple devices they get to use and cases where one is damaged are surprisingly rare.

It costs significantly less to maintain a group of iPod Touches or iPads than it does equivalent computers. MUCH less.

While some devices might have battery problems after two or three years that is not the norm. LIke everything else in a school district, products are placed on a lifecycle and upgraded or moved to a new purpose after that period of time has passed.

This has nothing to do with art teachers and janitors (?). If you need a scapegoat for the vanishing art teacher (music teacher, etc.) the first place you want to start looking is No Child Left Behind.

Quote:

Then lets look at the environmental impact... paper is a renewable resource and biodegradable.

iPads, as cool as they are - are the scourge and a blight upon the earth. They are made of poisons and limited resources.

Schools participate in electronic recycling programs. While there is some merit to this bullet point, you certainly seem to be unaware of how much paper waste a school generates—paper waste which can be mitigated in many areas through use of devices such as these.

Quote:

On the economic front - paper is made in America and the books are printed by Americans in America. This means jobs.

iPads are made in China by Chinese.

Apple creates a very large number of jobs in America. You're barking up the wrong tree, there. We should strive to reduce our use of paper. There is much wrong with the textbook market today, as Apple apparently recognizes.

Quote:

Anyways, it doesn't matter as this program is dead in the water... schools in California are shutting down buses, firing teachers and cramming classrooms... doubt they are going to throw money at iPads.

This does not seem to be the case.

Quote:

This program is complete garbage and a telling sign that Apple has lost touch with economic reality.

If anything, this is a telling sign that you're not very familiar with this issue.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Text Books are 1/32 the cost and last 32x longer then an iPad in the hands of kids would.

Schools can't afford art teachers or janitors anymore - so how are they going to pay for technical support on iPads? Are they going to purchase new iPads every 2 or 3 years when the batteries start to fail or the OS is no longer supported?

Then lets look at the environmental impact... paper is a renewable resource and biodegradable.

iPads, as cool as they are - are the scourge and a blight upon the earth. They are made of poisons and limited resources.

On the economic front - paper is made in America and the books are printed by Americans in America. This means jobs.

Anyways, it doesn't matter as this program is dead in the water... schools in California are shutting down buses, firing teachers and cramming classrooms... doubt they are going to throw money at iPads.

This program is complete garbage and a telling sign that Apple has lost touch with economic reality.

did u get out of bed the wrong side !!!!!
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The full video of Apple's education-centric event on Thursday, at which it unveiled iBooks 2, iBooks Author and iTunes U for iPad, is now available to stream online. ...

I am at a loss to understand why Apple doesn't make these things available on Apple TV.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Kids are dumber than ever. Simple math and spelling is something that is completely foreign to many of them. I see far too many dumbass kids walking around all of the time. It's a miracle if half of them are able to tie their own shoelaces. It makes you wonder what sort of terrible parents these kids have.

Hmm..

Quote:

For poor people? Absolutely nothing, as I'm not fond of poor people and I am anti-charity. People are poor because of a variety of reasons, but the main ones in my view are laziness, lack of intelligence, lack of education, poor parenting and a pathetic sense of entitlement combined with an ignorant political outlook which causes many poor people to remain dirt poor. Basically, it's their own fault and I don't really give a shit about them.

WIth all due respect, I'd shudder if those parents were half as horrible as you, in terms of passing on stuff like the above to their kids. I'd can only imagine how much more horrible of a world we'd live in, with more people sharing your utter disdain and contempt for those less fortunate than they are. I'd worry for any child raised this way and having this type of filth passed down to them. If I were you I'd refrain from talking about stupidity or ignorance. You flaunt them in spades.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:

Kids are dumber than ever. Simple math and spelling is something that is completely foreign to many of them. I see far too many dumbass kids walking around all of the time. It's a miracle if half of them are able to tie their own shoelaces. It makes you wonder what sort of terrible parents these kids have.

Kids are no dumber today than they were when you were born.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

You shouldn't be.

It's a lose lose lose win lose situation, with everyone and everything losing except for Apple investors... who will also eventually lose.

Your observation ... loses me - it does not make sense: Apple investors are exception to losing but will also lose. Huh?

Perhaps iTunes U can help you.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I am at a loss to understand why Apple doesn't make these things available on Apple TV.

self-deleted (misunderstood what you meant at first)
  • Reply 31 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Wow! I bet he thinks lawns are also gotten off of less these days, too.

The concept that kids are inherently more dumb today than in years past is bigotry unless one has some evidence to show why one thinks they are less capable of comprehending what he calls simple math and spelling. Note that neither of those activities are unlikely to be "seen" in others "walking around". I fathom how one can make such a harsh judgement with no evidence to back it up.

Maybe he meant they are ignorant in ways that he prides himself in not being, but ignorance is something we are all afflicted with for our entire lives. We may know certain subjects well but the vast majority of knowledge can't be known by our finite minds. Very few people throughout history are credited with being the pinnacle expert in multiple vocations. I only wish I was able to focus on one skill to hone more than the others that I could be the top of that field. That simply isn't going to happen.

I do think today's children are more learned about the world than the previous generations because of the information they have access to. They are inherently better with digital age concepts that took us much longer to learn, especially if we didn't learn them until well into our adult years. I look forward to what the world will do with all this knowledge.
    I hear babies crying, I watch them grow

They'll learn much more than I'll never know

And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world
  • Reply 32 of 44
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

To be perfectly honest, I believe the education system we have is broken. School pay an in ordinant amount of money busing students. My wife worked for a school district having money woes. I was shocked that they spent 100 million dollars on transportation alone! That's money going mostly overseas to big oil.

The books themselves are very reasonable. That's about a quarter of a textbook wholesale. The issue then is the iPad, yet schools have no issue buying new PCs every year? Maybe instead of wasting money on IT budgets for antiquated hardware, you put that into an iPad which will come down in price here shortly to about $300-$400. Mac hardware lasts much longer than 2-3 years. My original iPad keeps an amazing charge and is 2 years old.

The production of paper and the printing process is VERY TOXIC. I know we can say that paper is biodegradable, but many inks are non-organics and the paper is coated to last longer which inhibits it's biodegradability. That's why a lot of recycling companies don't take coated paper products.

In addition, have you seen the size of student school bags lately? We had to get my daughter a bog with a handle so she could move the thing. With all the books and computer and everything, it must way 30-40 lbs. The strap broken after two weeks of use!

So the education system is going to need to change with the times. If we can't afford public education as a society, we need to come up with a more economical way. We can hardly protect our children from abuse and violence in our school. I see smaller, co-located schools... a merger of cyber school and home groups where the digital textbook can immerse children in their subjects. It's more cost effective and higher or equal quality. Apple isn't interested in the past. Apple is interested in the future.

The biggest importer of OIL to the USA is Canada. Not really "overseas".
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Wow! I bet he thinks lawns are also gotten off of less these days, too.

The concept that kids are inherently more dumb today than in years past is bigotry unless one has some evidence to show why one thinks they are less capable of comprehending what he calls simple math and spelling. Note that neither of those activities are unlikely to be "seen" in others "walking around". I fathom how one can make such a harsh judgement with no evidence to back it up.

Maybe he meant they are ignorant in ways that he prides himself in not being, but ignorance is something we are all afflicted with for our entire lives. We may know certain subjects well but the vast majority of knowledge can't be known by our finite minds. Very few people throughout history are credited with being the pinnacle expert in multiple vocations. I only wish I was able to focus on one skill to hone more than the others that I could be the top of that field. That simply isn't going to happen.

I do think today's children are more learned about the world than the previous generations because of the information they have access to. They are inherently better with digital age concepts that took us much longer to learn, especially if we didn't learn them until well into our adult years. I look forward to what the world will do with all this knowledge.
    I hear babies crying, I watch them grow

They'll learn much more than I'll never know

And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world

Kids!

• Reply 34 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Average scores on the SAT fell across the nation this year, with the reading score for the high school class of 2011 falling three points to 497, the lowest on record, according to a report Wednesday by the College Board, which administers the exams.

The average writing score dropped two points, to 489, and the math score was down one point, to 514.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/15/ed...ml?_r=1&ref=us

Anybody who is going to attempt to disagree with me needs to back up whatever they claim with facts and logic, not BS. I have no time for ignorant people and others who are incapable of anything but unintelligent, ad hominem responses.

The US has been continuously slipping in education metrics compared to the rest of the world. And yes, kids are dumber than before. If anybody wishes to drown in their own ignorance, then don't believe it.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Vancouver, eh?

Obviously, you have water on the brain. Eh?
  • Reply 36 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's what I see at 42m:39s. There is something with the angle that makes the Home Button appear to go away for a frame but it's still the same girl, with the same device, using it in the same way. Apple is too secretive to through us a bone like that.

If you go frame by frame in full screen mode the button at one point becomes clearly visible.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Some schools in Canada give each student an iPad. High schools, that is. I am not disputing all your arguments but the iPad clearly offers a far superior learning experience than paper. Hopefully schools will supply iPads to their students in the future. Spread the cost over three years and you have a pretty acceptable deal.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:

I don't think you are thinking this through. The average textbook might cost from $49 to $200. One iPad can hold all your textbooks -- at $14.95 a pop.

The iPad pays for itself in one year.

It's possible the textbooks might go to other users as well -- not sure about the ownership transfers yet.

But from the schools point of view - they pay 1/5th or less what they used to, for a book now that can better "animate" certain principles.

Students also don't need to wear backpacks for all their studies anymore.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think it should be called iBooks Composer not iBooks Author. Because, watching the presentation, all the content is authored in other apps (Word, Keynote, Photoshop) and in iBooks Author you just compose it all together.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Ummm.... Sorry, but why are we letting one angry troll derail the whole thread?

I thought the linked video from Apple was inspirational and it gave me a lot of hope for the future. But that's just me.