Apple working to adopt 802.11ac 5G Gigabit WiFi this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of COURSE, having just bought the most recent revision of AirPort Extreme?

Sadly, me too. \
  • Reply 22 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Sadly, me too. \

I'm in the same camp, but since my ISP only runs at 8 Mbps a faster Airport Extreme really wouldn't help much. I'm getting 7.8Mbps on my n-speed wifi devices, so a 802.11ac router would currently be overkill.
  • Reply 23 of 124
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Steve: "It runs at 11Mbps!"

*Audience goes wild.*

You've got to love that. To think that was amazing only 12 years ago and now we're talking about a connection that will be almost 100 times faster...

Of course the flip side to this is that people didn't have 12 megapixel images and 1080p videos to transfer across their network at the time
  • Reply 24 of 124
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    In the market for a new Time Capsule. Any educated guesses as to how soon Apple might release a next gen version?
  • Reply 25 of 124
    will these frequencies fry our brains even more than wifi n?
  • Reply 26 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It plays the files perfectly fine. No changing settings, no doing anything at all. It's seamless.

It does not PLAY BACK in 1080p. It converts to 720p on the fly and outputs 720p.

Unless you have a 55 inch tv and sit too close, nobody can tell the difference.
  • Reply 27 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

will these frequencies fry our brains even more than wifi n?

Like a farm fresh egg.
  • Reply 28 of 124
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

My iPhone 4 doesn't even use both frequencies of Wi-Fi N so I won't hold my breath waiting for Apple to support multiple antennas in future iPhones.

What's the rush to wirelessly connect your phone to an access point at gigabit speeds to the Internet that is probably real-world 5-10mb/s unless you're at a Starbucks with a bunch of other people which will drag it down even more?

While improvements are always welcomed, it cracks me up reading how people want this technology now when in the real world, they will nitice little or no improvement.

But we gotta have it now.

What do you plan on doing on that tiny phone that necessitates gigabit speeds of bandwidth?
  • Reply 29 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Unless you have a 55 inch tv and sit too close, nobody can tell the difference.

Completely and utterly wrong. Again.
  • Reply 30 of 124
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    This will be nice to have for the future. Glad to see wifi tech getting attention in the face of 3G, 4G, and beyond cell network broadband.
  • Reply 31 of 124
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What do you plan on doing on that tiny phone that necessitates gigabit speeds of bandwidth?

I don't care about 802.11ac or gigibit bandwidth but I would like to use full wifi-N so an extra antenna would be nice.
  • Reply 32 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

What's the rush to wirelessly connect your phone to an access point at gigabit speeds to the Internet that is probably real-world 5-10mb/s unless you're at a Starbucks with a bunch of other people which will drag it down even more?

While improvements are always welcomed, it cracks me up reading how people want this technology now when in the real world, they will nitice little or no improvement.

But we gotta have it now.

One example: transferring 1080p HD video. Which the iPhone 4S will generate in copious amounts, should you be inclined. A twelve second 1080p movie clip is a 35MB file.

Heck, any photo I take with my iPhone 4S generates a file that averages 3-4 megabytes in size.

Note that most people with broadband Internet in industrialized nations not named the United States of America have much higher speeds than what is typically found in U.S. consumer broadband connections.

Broadband Internet in Western Europe and southeast Asia blows doors on what America has.

In the same way, the faster HSPA support in the iPhone 4S is quite helpful in non-USA markets since those guys have been deploying upgraded networks, in some cases in their third or fourth iteration of 3G.

Just because you think that this technology won't benefit you doesn't mean that it won't benefit most of the rest of the world.

America is lagging in cellular telephony and broadband Internet connectivity. We see the least amount of benefit to these improvements because our infrastructure is so pathetically behind the times.
  • Reply 33 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I don't care about 802.11ac or gigibit bandwidth but I would like to use full wifi-N so an extra antenna would be nice.

Yes, you mentioned that. Ignoring the obvious speed increases of 802.11ac, sure, but you mentioned that.
  • Reply 34 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Here as well lol

Watching that video of Steve Jobs almost made me cry. I had to turn it off. There really will never be another man (or woman) like him.

I loved the hula hoop bit. Steve is such a showman. Such amazing stage presence. He will be missed.
  • Reply 35 of 124
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    This article was very well written and very informative. Thank you

I also just purchased a new Time Capsule. \. But if a newer version is truly 3x faster with materially better range, I would have to upgrade immediately. It's at the center of my house set-up

Also, good points above on how this could be part of the Apple TV platform
  • Reply 36 of 124
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Sorry if my posts sounded negative. Didn't intend it to be that way but I see now they were:
  • Reply 37 of 124
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Note that most people with broadband Internet in industrialized nations not named the United States of America have much higher speeds than what is typically found in U.S. consumer broadband connections.

Broadband Internet in Western Europe and southeast Asia blows doors on what America has.

In the same way, the faster HSPA support in the iPhone 4S is quite helpful in non-USA markets since those guys have been deploying upgraded networks, in some cases in their third or fourth iteration of 3G.

Just because you think that this technology won't benefit you doesn't mean that it won't benefit most of the rest of the world.

America is lagging in cellular telephony and broadband Internet connectivity. We see the least amount of benefit to these improvements because our infrastructure is so pathetically behind the times.

Most of the advanced countries that boast about their really fast Internet are about the size and population of New Jersey. The US is a huge place and upgrades come a little more slowly as the major carriers try to roll out the upgrades in many metropolitan areas simultaneously. Since all new utility installations in the US have to be underground it does represent a large investment to dig up all the streets to lay fiber optics. Our Internet may be slow in many suburban neighborhoods but in the commercial areas it is as fast as anywhere in the world. At my office I now have synchronous 100mb/s pure fiber to my datacenter where I have even higher speed. At home about 10 down and 5 up.
  • Reply 38 of 124
    Yes.. I just bought my Airport Extreme this January too.. (I'm happy with the router)

Am I A fool for doing so?

I thought internet speed depends on the cable provider, not the actual device..

am I wrong here..?

I don't know jack about what Extreme can do, I'm just happy it 'just worked' and I don't have to deal with any technical difficulty.
  • Reply 39 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Like a farm fresh egg.

get back to me in 30 years when cell phone radiation is the new tobacco.

(and no I am not equating cell phone radiation with wifi but the results are additive)
  • Reply 40 of 124
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by griffith9 View Post

Yes.. I just bought my Airport Extreme this January too.. (I'm happy with the router)

Am I A fool for doing so?

I thought internet speed depends on the cable provider, not the actual device..

am I wrong here..?

I don't know jack about what Extreme can do, I'm just happy it 'just worked' and I don't have to deal with any technical difficulty.

Your internet speed is determined by the slowest hop you have to pass through to get to the webpage or data storage you are trying to reach. The bottleneck could be your wifi or router or your Internet provider or any other router along the way to wherever you are going.