64GB iPhone 4S takes 21% of sales, 36% of iPhone buyers come from another platform

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

A new survey of recent iPhone customers found that 21 percent of iPhone 4S buyers chose Apple's highest capacity 64-gigabyte model, while 36 percent of users migrated from another platform like Android, BlackBerry or Palm.

Consumer Intelligence Research Partners released a report on Monday, revealing new details about users who bought an iPhone following the launch of the new iPhone 4S last October. Among those surveyed, 21 percent of iPhone 4S buyers opted for the high-end 64GB model, Apple's highest-ever capacity for a smartphone model.

The latest figures are slightly higher than a different poll conducted by investment firm Piper Jaffray last October on the first day of iPhone 4S availability. That poll of customers waiting in line found that 19 percent chose the 64GB model.

CIRP previously found that 18 percent of iPhone buyers at the iPhone 4S launch were switching from other platforms, like Android, BlackBerry or Palm. But that number only grew as 2011 drew to a close, with 36 percent of buyers coming from competing platforms.

The data comes from a survey of customers that purchased an iPhone in October, November and December of 2011. From an initial response of 6,316 subjects, CIRP surveyed 365 qualified people for its analysis.

The survey also found that AT&T, Verizon and Sprint have maintained their market shares consistently among iPhone owners. But the availability of the iPhone has also helped the three largest wireless providers in the U.S. take customers from other carriers that do not over the iPhone, most notably T-Mobile.

CIRP also discovered that online sales of the iPhone decreased as Apple filled preorders and met market demand. While online sales represented 43 percent of Apple's total handset sales during the iPhone 4S launch, that dropped to 33 percent as 2011 drew to a close.

The same research group revealed in a separate study last week that resales of iPhones are good for both Apple and carriers. It found that 49 percent of new iPhone owners sold a previous model from Apple on the secondary market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I personally know of about thirty people who have or about to change from Droids to iPhone 4s models, not sure which configuration. All were very unhappy with their Androids devices both from hardware and software perspectives. They all work for the same company but these are personal purchases.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    another dupe ... reboot the server AI
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I personally know of about thirty people who have or about to change from Droids to iPhone 4s models, not sure which configuration. All were very unhappy with their Androids devices both from hardware and software perspectives. They all work for the same company but these are personal purchases.

yes... still, i believe that in the long term apple will sell much more iPhones and tablets thanks to android, just like with the mac and wins.

some trolls here will say that android best sellers are all high end, totally forgetting the hundreds of cheap models out there. one by one, these models obviously are selling less than the flagship phones, but if you put them together, they outsell the razors and galaxies of this world by 10 to 1, just like the iPhone outsells others high end models (all of them together) at least 6 to 1 and it's still losing (or was) market share, thanks to hundreds of cheaper android models.

to trully admire and enjoy the sls mclaren, one must drive the fiat punto. thanks android, for being our fiat punto.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    The 64gb model is the one I purchased up from a 32gb iPhone 4. I really wanted storage to be a non-isssue. I purchased a 16gb iPad 1 when it was released and have regretted it ever since. Simply not enough storage for my needs. Photos take up half the storage. My plan was to get an iPad 2 and give the one to my in-law, but I've held out for an iPad 3. I'll probably get the 64gb version of that too so my iPad and iPhone are in data parity.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    The fact that switchers are moving to the Apple camp is excellent along with loyal long-term iPhone users. It's definitely showing that Apple will be able to pull new users while holding on to previous owners which will only help to continue steady iPhone growth. Getting new activations while losing previous customers is rather detrimental and could easily be happening on the Android platform. Apple just needs to keep building up a steady base of users and that will keep the actual number of iOS devices very high and make the iOS platform that much more stable and stronger over the longer term. Wall Street really doesn't quite get this point. All they praise are Android's high activation rate but don't concern themselves about long-term numbers or Android user dropouts. Getting a customer once doesn't guarantee a return customer if the customer is dissatisfied with the product.

Apple really needs to be able to produce iPhones at a faster rate to see if Apple can actually hold its own against Android to at least some degree. There's no way Apple can directly win an overall numbers game since there are so many Android smartphone variants that are much simpler to make as their quality and design can be changed as necessary to hold down costs.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

The fact that switchers are moving to the Apple camp is excellent along with loyal long-term iPhone users. It's definitely showing that Apple will be able to pull new users while holding on to previous owners which will only help to continue steady iPhone growth. Getting new activations while losing previous customers is rather detrimental and could easily be happening on the Android platform. Apple just needs to keep building up a steady base of users and that will keep the actual number of iOS devices very high and make the iOS platform that much more stable and stronger over the longer term. Wall Street really doesn't quite get this point. All they praise are Android's high activation rate but don't concern themselves about long-term numbers or Android user dropouts. Getting a customer once doesn't guarantee a return customer if the customer is dissatisfied with the product.

Apple really needs to be able to produce iPhones at a faster rate to see if Apple can actually hold its own against Android to at least some degree. There's no way Apple can directly win an overall numbers game since there are so many Android smartphone variants that are much simpler to make as their quality and design can be changed as necessary to hold down costs.

what apple needs is a strong microsoft.

if you don't like your android but you can't afford an iPhone, what will you do? try another android phone. a strong microsoft would provide more apple users in the long term while it would also stop android growth.. then again, android can't be seen as an OS, it can only be seen as a platform for other OSes. how many android users can play GTA? infinity blade? interactive games like real racing? only a tiny fraction...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Not quite so, Microsoft, uh ?

• Reply 8 of 19
    ch2coch2co Posts: 41member
    64MB ? I sure could use 128MB. Will it happen on iPhone 5?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ch2co View Post

64MB ? I sure could use 128MB. Will it happen on iPhone 5?

Six. And it doesn't sound possible yet, but that depends on chip availability.

If we see a 128GB iPad 3, it's entirely possible that we could see a 128GB iPhone 6.

And if we see a 128GB iPad 3, the iPod classic, obviously, will be discontinued this September in favor of a 128GB iPod touch.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Six. And it doesn't sound possible yet, but that depends on chip availability.

If we see a 128GB iPad 3, it's entirely possible that we could see a 128GB iPhone 6.

And if we see a 128GB iPad 3, the iPod classic, obviously, will be discontinued this September in favor of a 128GB iPod touch.

Unless the iPods are released this spring w/ the iPad and not with the new iPhone launch date of September. Unless, of course, the iPhone is going back to its summer release. Unless.... Oh the humanity.

The real numbers I'd like to see are how many iPhone users switch to another platform. Id be shocked if it was double digits.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Unless the iPods are released this spring w/ the iPad and not with the new iPhone launch date of September. Unless, of course, the iPhone is going back to its summer release. Unless.... Oh the humanity.

Right? I guess there could be a change in iPod releases since they didn't really do anything with them this year?

Welp, there goes our ONE release cycle with any certainty up in the air.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Same here.

I know a ton of people who have had a horrible time with Android phones such as the Droid X. Things like constant reboots or having to get it replaced 2 or 3 times. Yikes.

After 18-24 months of that... I wonder if that will sour their experience with Android as a whole... or if they will realize if was a problem with that particular model or the manufacturer.

Seems like if you've been burned by "an Android phone" that might lead you to explore alternatives like the iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Just wondering, how many new android users there are, coming from the iOS platform. I believe it's well below 1%.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Not quite so, Microsoft, uh ?

What might go thru those guys mind, when they look at these pictures now?

Guess this must be really embarassing.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Android really started to take off about 2 years ago, right? I recall that Android was finally making waves after lagging behind the iPhone for a while. I'm wondering if all these people switching are coming off 2-year contracts. If so, that explains the large percentage of people coming to iPhone from Android suddenly.

I imagine lots of buyers got Android phones because they were cheap, grew to detest them and now are jumping to the iPhone. Presumable many people would choose to wait the contract out before making the change. If so, that means many more waves of Android users coming off contracts ahead. The coming year will be very interesting.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but Android really started to take off about 2 years ago, right? I recall that Android was finally making waves after lagging behind the iPhone for a while. I'm wondering if all these people switching are coming off 2-year contracts. If so, that explains the large percentage of people coming to iPhone from Android suddenly.

I imagine lots of buyers got Android phones because they were cheap, grew to detest them and now are jumping to the iPhone. Presumable many people would choose to wait the contract out before making the change. If so, that means many more waves of Android users coming off contracts ahead. The coming year will be very interesting.

No doubt. Although I dislike androids OS, and I haven't used it nearly as extensively as iOS, I could only assume that the High end androids are a much bigger pleasure to use than the cheap free ones. But all the free android users hear from their friends with iPhones how much they love their iPhone, and the android person doesn't feel that way. Then, they buy an iPhone. And if those same cheap people want to stay cheap, they can get the 3GS which is still fantastic. Free androids are great for apple.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Same here.

I know a ton of people who have had a horrible time with Android phones such as the Droid X. Things like constant reboots or having to get it replaced 2 or 3 times. Yikes.

After 18-24 months of that... I wonder if that will sour their experience with Android as a whole... or if they will realize if was a problem with that particular model or the manufacturer.

Seems like if you've been burned by "an Android phone" that might lead you to explore alternatives like the iPhone.

Funny you should mention the Droid X... a coworker of mine just ditched his third replacement (that's FOUR total) for an iPhone 4 (not 4s) this weekend... he was hoping he could wait until the next model came along, but frankly, the fourth X dying was the last straw. I think he decided to hedge his bet that the next model beyond the 4s will be an order-of-magnitude improvement.

I LOVE my zero-day 64gb 4s.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

No doubt. Although I dislike androids OS, and I haven't used it nearly as extensively as iOS, I could only assume that the High end androids are a much bigger pleasure to use than the cheap free ones. But all the free android users hear from their friends with iPhones how much they love their iPhone, and the android person doesn't feel that way. Then, they buy an iPhone. And if those same cheap people want to stay cheap, they can get the 3GS which is still fantastic. Free androids are great for apple.

You can get free iphones from the 3gs to 4s in europe and asia
  • Reply 19 of 19
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Our tax return is due on the 1st and my wife and I are both switching from LG Lotuses we've had for about 3 years now to the 4S. I'd like the 64, but I'll probably end up settling on the 32 honestly.