Commercial airliner named in honor of Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

A Virgin America Airbus A320 now has the quote, "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish" emblazoned on its fuselage directly beneath the cockpit in tribute to late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

The Burlingame, California-based airline the popular quote taken from Jobs' 2005 Stanford commencement speech to the nose of a plane that has been in service since last fall, reports CNET.

"The 'Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish' aircraft name was actually submitted as a tribute to Mr. Jobs by one of our employees in an internal plane naming competition," said Virgin America spokesperson Abby Lunardini.

Virgin likens itself to Jobs in its forward thinking approach to air travel, noting that it was the first company to roll out fleet-wide onboard Wi-Fi in one of its many attempts to bring technology to the sky.

"The idea behind Virgin America was to reinvent the travel experience by thinking differently about design and service--we are known for the tech-forward amenities we offer onboard," Lunardini said.

Jobs' speech has gained much notoriety since the former CEO passed away on Oct. 5, 2011.

"Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish" Plane | Source: Virgin America

Currently, Virgin America's fleet is comprised exclusively of Airbus jets and employs 36 of the short to medium range A320 model.

The airline has been known to dream up imaginative marketing schemes and has previously opened up naming to the public, including the 2008 inaugural flight of Air Colbert after comedian Stephen Colbert and a 2010 opportunity to purchase a chartered flight with plane-naming rights for $60,000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    "Stay Foolish" is the one thing I don't want plastered on the side of a plane before the cockpit.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Nice tribute.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    "Stay hungry?"

A review of their in flight service perhaps?

I kid. V Australia actually has the best in flight service I?ve ever seen.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"Stay Foolish" is the one thing I don't want plastered on the side of a plane before the cockpit.

Unless the model starts with X, i.e Bell X-1 circa 1947. But Siri-ously.

What do you call a man judged a fool but proven a visionary? Boss? CEO? Genius? Legend? Reckon it depends on how great the "fool".

It's a great tribute from just some other "fool".
  • Reply 5 of 29
    I think Steve would be horrified with their font choice.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Unless the model starts with X, i.e Bell X-1 circa 1947.

What do you call a man judged a fool but proven a visionary? Boss? CEO? Genius? Legend? Reckon it depends on how great the "fool".

It's a great tribute from just some other "fool".

Allow me to rephrase that... ""Stay Foolish" is the one thing I don't want plastered on the side of a plane before the cockpit for which I am the passenger."
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

Allow me to rephrase that... ""Stay Foolish" is the one thing I don't want plastered on the side of a plane before the cockpit for which I am the passenger."

I used to be AA exec platinum and would always touch that plate just inside the door on the left that said the date of the plane I was boarding was made before I was born; I'd murmur a semi-silent prayer. Got plenty of WTF looks during.

Have several of friends who were/are pilots too and they cared much more about their ass than mine. Gave me faith upon boarding knowing that they do checks.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenfingers View Post

Yep. Really bad installation. Type on a curved path would have probably been a better choice than a Word file output at Kinkos/FedEx
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

"Stay hungry?"

A review of their in flight service perhaps?

I kid. V Australia actually has the best in flight service I’ve ever seen.

Sing Air

British Air

V Air

10x

everyone else.

- First Class that is....
  • Reply 10 of 29
    boeing would have been a better choice. maybe one of those new dreamliners or new 747 upgrades.

especially when cracks in the airbus fuselage is causing recalls.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

boeing would have been a better choice. maybe one of those new dreamliners or new 747 upgrades.

especially when cracks in the airbus fuselage is causing recalls.

Cracks in fuselage causing recalls? What?

Do you mean A380s being inspected for cracks in the wings as part of routine maintenance and posing no threat whatsoever to their safe operation even if not checked/repaired immediately?
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenfingers View Post

He would be horrified with the plane choice. Or the choice of airline for that matter
  • Reply 13 of 29
    The quote wasn't Steve's. He credited the Whole Earth Access catalog. So the words probably originated with Stewart Brand. Another visionary.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Maybe airlines should lease out the exterior for advertising. Of course, some slogans won't work well. No one wants to see Maxwell House's "Good to the last drop" wrtiten on the side of the plane they are about to board..
  • Reply 15 of 29
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That quote is not Steve's, it is him quoting the Whole Earth Catalog...

Virgin may fancy themselves as reinventing air travel but I wish someone really would reinvent it. It used to be something special, a little bit luxurious, but now it's like taking the bus, no one wants it. In some ways worse than taking the bus.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That quote is not Steve's, it is him quoting the Whole Earth Catalog...

Virgin may fancy themselves as reinventing air travel but I wish someone really would reinvent it. It used to be something special, a little bit luxurious, but now it's like taking the bus, no one wants it. In some ways worse than taking the bus.

Absolutely - "they wish" being my initial thought. If Virgin achieved a quarter of what it suggests they do then it would be a good airline/bank/railway/gym/phone co/ISP/retailer. In my experience the company is full of hot air - so perhaps a good balloon co..

What next Virgin Money sticking a similar slogan on its credit cards ? Stay Hungry Stay Foolish, Spend more on credit? with no Jobs to referee this then this is commercial exploitation. Virgin hasn't earned its attempt to claim association with design and rethinking.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    jimtjimt Posts: 16member
    At the risk of being picky, one should never say "comprised of."

Use either "composed of" or "comprises."
  • Reply 18 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post

Cracks in fuselage causing recalls? What?

Do you mean A380s being inspected for cracks in the wings as part of routine maintenance and posing no threat whatsoever to their safe operation even if not checked/repaired immediately?

Yeah, why do planes need that many engines, anyway?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    arasuarasu Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A Virgin America Airbus A320 now has the quote, "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish" emblazoned on its fuselage directly beneath the cockpit in tribute to late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

I thought that Stevie's quote was meant for the folks who camp outside for the new iProducts. "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish"
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Richard Branson was one of The Crazy Ones--he was featured in that commercial. This is probably a shout back. I'm surprised the crack team at DigiTimesInsider didn't mention that.