Apple earns record $13B on sales of 37M iPhones, 15M iPads and 5.2M Macs

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple announced Tuesday the best quarter in its corporate history where earnings rose more than 117% to $13.06 billion, or $13.87 per diluted share, on record quarterly revenue of $46.33 billion.

The results compare to revenue of $26.74 billion and net quarterly profit of $6 billion, or $6.43 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 44.7 percent compared to 38.5 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 58 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

“We are very happy to have generated over $17.5 billion in cash flow from operations during the December quarter,” said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s CFO. “Looking ahead to the second fiscal quarter of 2012, which will span 13 weeks, we expect revenue of about $32.5 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share of about $8.50.”

Apple sold an all-time high 37.04 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 128 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter, in addition to a record 15.43 million iPads -- a 111 percent unit increase.

The Cupertino-based company also sold 5.2 million Macs during the quarter, a 26 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter, and another record benchmark. Meanwhile, iPod sales came in at 15.4 million units, a 21 percent unit decline.

“We’re thrilled with our outstanding results and record-breaking sales of iPhones, iPads and Macs,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “Apple’s momentum is incredibly strong, and we have some amazing new products in the pipeline.”

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q1 2012 financial results conference call beginning at 2:00 p.m. PST. AppleInsider will provide full coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    First!

The numbers are OFF THE HOOK!!
  • Reply 2 of 90
    Apple is done because Android is killing it in the market........
  • Reply 3 of 90
    What?! Slapppy's theory of shrinking market = doom and gloom isn't working?!?
  • Reply 4 of 90
    Any comments, Microsoft ?

• Reply 5 of 90
    Well, it wasn't 38 million iPhones, so we'd better start selling the stock.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Not too bad...
  • Reply 7 of 90

Slapppy... Slapppy... Slapppy... Is that you... I can hardly hear you... Speak up and be counted!
  • Reply 8 of 90
    Smash Volley.

What's that? Almost 100 Billion in the bank?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 9 of 90
    AAPL trading around $460 after hours
  • Reply 10 of 90
    5.2 million Macs?

That's over 20 million a year. When does the userbase crack 100 million Macs? It's game on..?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Amazing numbers! Go Apple!

Apple is Doomed!™
  • Reply 12 of 90
    WHERE THE HATERS AT NOW??!!

Great job, great Company! Hopefully the stupid manipulators and BS'ers can be pacified for a while.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    Jesus jumped up! NO ONE saw these numbers...
  • Reply 14 of 90
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Why are iPods still mentioned? The world has moved on, and it's upgraded to the iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    That's what's up! Go Apple!
  • Reply 16 of 90
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    "With some great exciting stuff in the pipeline???"

Skip
  • Reply 17 of 90
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Breathtakingly impressive.
  • Reply 18 of 90
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    You all are just brainwashed iSheep, and Apple just has good advertising. That's the only reason that people buy Apple products. It's not because they are the best products.

Can your iPad do what my Kindle Fire and my other Android tablets can do? I don't think so.

The fact of the matter is that the iPad is too smooth and too responsive. I'm a recovering Alcoholic (it's been 13 days since my last bottle of whiskey) and I happen to love the lag inherently built into Android. I see it as a useful feature for somebody such as myself who happens to have slow reflexes and a damaged nervous system. When I press an icon, I like that it sometimes take a while to register, it gives me time to think. Everything happens too quickly and too smoothly on the iPad.

37 million iPhones isn't really that impressive. 37 million Android phones are probably given away every month for free! And that 3.5" screen size is too puny compared to my 5" Android phone with an extra battery which I lug around in my knapsack. With that extra bulky battery, I get a total of 2.2 hours of usage. That's not too bad, don't you think?

I'd love to write more about how wonderful Android is, but I have to go now. It's time to root my phone again. Cya!
  • Reply 19 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You all are just brainwashed iSheep, and Apple just has good advertising. That's the only reason that people buy Apple products. It's not because they are the best products.

Can your iPad do what my Kindle Fire and my other Android tablets can do? I don't think so.

The fact of the matter is that the iPad is too smooth and too responsive. I'm a recovering Alcoholic (it's been 13 days since my last bottle of whiskey) and I happen to love the lag inherently built into Android. I see it as a useful feature for somebody such as myself who happens to have slow reflexes and a damaged nervous system. When I press an icon, I like that it sometimes take a while to register, it gives me time to think. Everything happens too quickly and too smoothly on the iPad.

37 million iPhones isn't really that impressive. 37 million Android phones are probably given away every month for free! And that 3.5" screen size is too puny compared to my 5" Android phone with an extra battery which I lug around in my knapsack. With that extra bulky battery, I get a total of 2.2 hours of usage. That's not too bad, don't you think?

I'd love to write more about how wonderful Android is, but I have to go now. It's time to root my phone again. Cya!

Holy crap! Slapppy hacked Apple ]['s account!
  • Reply 20 of 90
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think the 15+ million iPads may have been the biggest surprise - especially given all the talk about how Kindle Fire was eating Apple's lunch.

Can't wait for Amazon to release actual numbers this week. It will be fun to watch their stock plummet.