Apple execs are 'actively discussing' what to do with nearly $100B cash hoard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 120
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Lower the price of iPads enough to really get the Android tablet maker’s goat. Now that would be mean. Fun, but mean.

Regarding Apple cash overseas; anyone know how Apple pays for overseas parts? Would paying for them from overseas coffers be the way to whittle down those accounts without generating taxes back home?

Back to the iPad, what about bringing out a modified iPad for the education market and sell it next to cost as Amazon does with its fire sale. Like fighting fire with fire. Excuse used? Same as Amazon’s: “profits to come from book sales". The hardest part would be for Tim to advance this possibility with a straight face. (Well, maybe not so difficult for Tim.)
  • Reply 22 of 120
    cdubcdub Posts: 8member
    Ummm... move jobs back to the US and build the iPhone here?

The fact that they employ Sinclair Jungle-esque slave labor camps in China sickens me.
  • Reply 23 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdub View Post

The fact that they employ Sinclair Jungle-esque slave labor camps in China sickens me.

One post.

Bringing up this nonsense (that will never ever happen) again.

Uh huh.
  • Reply 24 of 120
    cdubcdub Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One post.

Uh huh.

Nonsense? I think not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...e-factory.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...his-On?via=tag
  • Reply 25 of 120
    Rocket Packs. Build Rocket Packs. Or flying cars. Yeah that's it, flying cars.
  • Reply 26 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kimgh View Post

I don't know why this is considered news. I am quite certain that this topic is ALWAYS being "actively discussed." And Apple has said so before, many times, if memory serves.

As a shareholder, and despite the hobby horses of buybacks and dividends on the part of a couple of analysts, I really hope Apple will keep their eye(s) on the ball and only do these things if they are the only way to "maximize shareholder value."

I think strategic acquisitions and part supply deals are much better uses for these funds than "instant gratification" of buybacks or dividends.

Agree. They seem to have succeeded rather astoundingly at both giving shareholders healthy return and taking over markets, all while amassing a horde of cash. And that strategy is a mistake because . . . ?
  • Reply 27 of 120
    cpr1cpr1 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One post.

Uh huh.

Because the more you post, the more valid your posts?
  • Reply 28 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

hire 10 people so we can finally get resolution independence for os x.

I thought that had been ditched.

I think what we will see is what happened with iOS, Retina displays.
  • Reply 29 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdub View Post

Don't worry, China will get its comeuppance. They have a history of workers rising up. One way or another.
  • Reply 30 of 120
    Soon... Google will be within Apple's sites.

Since Google doesn't officially compete with Apple it would have no problem passing regulations.

• Reply 31 of 120
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It is my understanding that all revenue Apple makes overseas is taxed at the rate based on the country the revenue was made in. So they already paid their taxes. Because Apple does not want to pay more taxes on top of what was already paid by the country of origin, they are keeping that money overseas. I'd do the same thing.

So what problem do you have? Oh right... they should pay even more taxes simply to deposit it into a US bank and spend that money in the US right?

Because the amount they are paying in taxes already is not enough right?

No...I don't think that's correct. I think you get to deduct the taxes that you paid overseas when you bring the money home. Any tax experts here?
  • Reply 32 of 120
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    since it doeans't make much sense to bring it into the USA and buying HTC or Samsung - thats stupid stupid and would not be allowed, the next best thing might be to spend some of it buying spectrum. Getting the iPad out from under carriers around the world and creating an Apple network for their devices. I'd start with the UK. Also buy up content for the Apple TV and Apple HDTV. Trouble is a lot of this content is owned by US companies. Sony has a lot of it though.

Also going after rights to soccer, sport and so on would really add to the allure of iOS and put pressure on Netflix, Hulu etc as well

Imagine Apple having the exclusive rights to most of NBA, Golf, The Masters, World Tennis Grand slam, English soccer, Formula One. The list is endless and thats mainly the English market, what about South America and Asia. Most of these wouldn't cost more than couple of billion each for multi year deals and they could make money back by selling through iTunes.
  • Reply 33 of 120
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Not to be TOO snarky here . . .but Apple already pays a crap load more taxes that GE does (which it doesn't).

Obama would say Apple is making way, way too much and not paying enough and that GE needs to pay their fair share... that is, in a perfect world. Gotta spread the wealth you know. And who better than "The One"!

Regarding what Apple should do with the 100B cash hoard. Hold onto it very tightly. Obama might win a second term and with no worries of having to get reelected... Look out!

/

/

/
  • Reply 34 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpr1 View Post

Because the more you post, the more valid your posts?

No, because potential throwaway accounts designed to intentionally derail threads when we have perfectly good arguments going on about this stuff in other threads aren't welcomed here.
  • Reply 35 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Obama would say Apple is making way, way too much and not paying enough and that GE needs to pay their fair share... that is, in a perfect world. Gotta spread the wealth you know. And who better than "The One"!

Regarding what Apple should do with the 100B cash hoard. Hold onto it very tightly. Obama might win a second term and with no worries of having to get reelected... Look out!

/

/

/

Is there an equivalent to Godwins Law if someone blatantly brings politics into a thread?
  • Reply 36 of 120
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kimgh View Post

I don't know why this is considered news. I am quite certain that this topic is ALWAYS being "actively discussed." And Apple has said so before, many times, if memory serves.

I agree and disagree. I've listened to the last few of these and today there seemed to be a lot more energy and emphasis on the use of Apple's cash "being actively discussed." Listen to the tone of voice - I heard excitement in Tim's voice when talking about (I think specifically) aquisitions. Do others agree?
  • Reply 37 of 120
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Buy a time machine (a real one) and bring Steve back.

Buy one?
  • Reply 38 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Is there an equivalent to Godwins Law if someone blatantly brings politics into a thread?

Kennedys' Law, perhaps?
  • Reply 39 of 120
    Seriously, Apple should buy RIM so that it can enter Enterprise market. RIM is valuable because of its private eMail exchange network and the security it provides.

Apple should launch an Enterprise Sales Division - selling business management solution using the same hardware - iPad, iPhone, and Mac.

RIM is very cheap now.
  • Reply 40 of 120
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Buy or build robots to automate iPhone/iPad assembly lines and outsource Chinese workers.