Notes of interest from Apple's Q1 2012 conference call

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

In after-hours trading:

Up over $30 - as much as $37 at one point.

Now it comes down $7. So we aren't going anywhere.

That said, Apple stock remains out of reach, way unaffordable for anyone who doesn't have some already.

Don't let Freerange, Apple][ or any hardline Apple bulls tell you otherwise. Good investment AAPL is but it is now a HOLD, not BUY. If you aren't in it is now too late to buy AAPL. Try again in late February or March when the lull period sets in. $430 is the price I'd pay for cold, hard gold, not stock papers.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Now it comes down $7. So we aren't going anywhere.

That said, Apple stock remains out of reach, way unaffordable for anyone who doesn't have some already.

Don't let Freerange, Apple][ or any hardline Apple bulls tell you otherwise. Good investment AAPL is but it is now a HOLD, not BUY. If you aren't in it is now too late to buy AAPL. Try again in late February or March when the lull period sets in. $430 is the price I'd pay for cold, hard gold, not stock papers.

Just trying to be helpful: I am not sure that the stock market is for you.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    I can dream, can't I?
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just trying to be helpful: I am not sure that the stock market is for you.

• Reply 25 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post

I can dream, can't I?

Definitely so! I for one do believe they'll come out with an upgraded version, which will likely be a minor upgrade to the current mid-2010 model:
    • Most likely CPU: E5-2600 series. Link

• Added Thunderbolt (2x back panel, 1x front panel)

• SDXC card reader on front panel

• Lights Out Management (as we are Xserve-less)

• Backlit Keyboard[, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad

• Either RAID controller on MB for HDD, or no HDD's at all; only SSD

• New, large, non-glossy Cinema Display (dreaming here as well)

I think they'll leave the case as it is, it'll still come with a DVD burner and perhaps has a small 'OSX SSD boot drive'. And the standard upgrades (video, BT4, PCI etc.). If they go all SSD they might as well take the ODD out and create a smaller case. If not, they could put the HDD's on its side and squeeze 14 in (x4TB = 56TB)

MacRumors has a 'recent release' table:

??????? 547 days

07/2010 511 days

03/2009 420 days

01/2008 279 days

04/2007 240 days

08/2006 292 days

For me, it was a long wait for the 2010 model to come out. Happy with it now; it's a screamer, you can throw anything at, it keeps marching on. Only bottlenecks are the HDD's, although Aperture still is fast. With software, at my end, iTunes and Garmin BaseCamp are the only programs that are slow. Certainly planning on going SSD all the way this year, except for large media files; I'll put that on a software RAID0.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Definitely so! I for one do believe they'll come out with an upgraded version, which will likely be a minor upgrade to the current mid-2010 model:
    • Most likely CPU: E5-2600 series. Link

• Added Thunderbolt (2x back panel, 1x front panel)

• SDXC card reader on front panel

• Lights Out Management (as we are Xserve-less)

• Backlit Keyboard[, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad

• Either RAID controller on MB for HDD, or no HDD's at all; only SSD

• New, large, non-glossy Cinema Display (dreaming here as well)

I think they'll leave the case as it is, it'll still come with a DVD burner and perhaps has a small 'OSX SSD boot drive'. And the standard upgrades (video, BT4, PCI etc.). If they go all SSD they might as well take the ODD out and create a smaller case. If not, they could put the HDD's on its side and squeeze 14 in (x4TB = 56TB)

MacRumors has a 'recent release' table:

??????? 547 days

07/2010 511 days

03/2009 420 days

01/2008 279 days

04/2007 240 days

08/2006 292 days

For me, it was a long wait for the 2010 model to come out. Happy with it now; it's a screamer, you can throw anything at, it keeps marching on. Only bottlenecks are the HDD's, although Aperture still is fast. With software, at my end, iTunes and Garmin BaseCamp are the only programs that are slow. Certainly planning on going SSD all the way this year, except for large media files; I'll put that on a software RAID0.

There's a lot of truth to what you say. Historically, the Mac Pro has been upgraded when Intel came out with a new chip that was significantly faster than the previous ones. That hasn't happened for a while (the speed improvements are marginal).

However, this might be time for a change in strategy. Even if the new chips are only marginally faster than the previous ones, there are enough new things that need to be added. Thunderbolt is a big one and will certainly be added in the next revision.

A moderate sized SSD drive would be a good addition - with the user folders automatically mapped to the platter drive. For a couple hundred dollars, there would be a substantial speed increase with no impact on total storage capacity.

SDXC card reader? I'm not convinced about this one. Apple has historically resisted adding things to their computers that could become obsolete - and a card reader fits in that category. They did it in the MBP but that's different for two reasons. First, laptops tend to have a shorter life. Second, people carrying notebooks don't want to carry an SD reader with them while it's not a big deal for a Mac Pro to have an attached SD reader.

Software RAID 0? I doubt it. If you're going to go to the trouble of RAID 0, a hardware solution isn't that much more expensive. It's easy enough to do software RAID yourself, so I can't imagine why they'd make it standard.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There's a lot of truth to what you say. Historically, the Mac Pro has been upgraded when Intel came out with a new chip that was significantly faster than the previous ones. That hasn't happened for a while (the speed improvements are marginal).

However, this might be time for a change in strategy. Even if the new chips are only marginally faster than the previous ones, there are enough new things that need to be added. Thunderbolt is a big one and will certainly be added in the next revision.

A moderate sized SSD drive would be a good addition - with the user folders automatically mapped to the platter drive. For a couple hundred dollars, there would be a substantial speed increase with no impact on total storage capacity.

SDXC card reader? I'm not convinced about this one. Apple has historically resisted adding things to their computers that could become obsolete - and a card reader fits in that category. They did it in the MBP but that's different for two reasons. First, laptops tend to have a shorter life. Second, people carrying notebooks don't want to carry an SD reader with them while it's not a big deal for a Mac Pro to have an attached SD reader.

Software RAID 0? I doubt it. If you're going to go to the trouble of RAID 0, a hardware solution isn't that much more expensive. It's easy enough to do software RAID yourself, so I can't imagine why they'd make it standard.

Good post!

I think a SDXC reader is possible because they added it to the iMac as well (and the iPad CCK, which was kind of... necessary). I know, maybe a lame argument, but still reasonable.

I should've mentioned that that was the way for me to go about it, not something Apple would make a default or something.

The RAID hardware is $ 699 from Apple, which has some problems (1, 2)
  • Reply 28 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good post!

I think a SDXC reader is possible because they added it to the iMac as well (and the iPad CCK, which was kind of... necessary). I know, maybe a lame argument, but still reasonable.

I should've mentioned that that was the way for me to go about it, not something Apple would make a default or something.

The RAID hardware is $ 699 from Apple, which has some problems (1, 2)

Apple's existing RAID hardware might have problems and be expensive, but if Apple wanted to add RAID across the board, adding the appropriate hardware would only add a few dollars to the system - a small enough cost that using a software RAID solution wouldn't make sense.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mac desktop sales were up 21 percent year over year, while revenue saw a 12 percent increase.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yet it's still a huge business (many billions of profitable dollars) - and it is the hub of their entire iphone/ipad/ipod/cloud strategy.

They're not going to abandon Macs any time soon.

But what about:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Desktop computers have been the same since 1983. That's not the future. It's a dead end.

• Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

But what about:

Apologies, I've been too broad. The keyboard/mouse paradigm is a dead end. There will always be a place for desktop-style computing devices.