Ron Johnson seeks to bring Apple Store savvy to J.C. Penney

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They will also eliminate the standard "XX.99" style pricing in favor of round numbers (for example "$20" instead of "19.99"), which has been one of the oldest retail scams of all time... it's a bit of a risk, because I've noticed that shoppers subconsciously pay no attention to the 99 cents after the main dollar figure.

"Oldest" I guess is a good word. It was invented by Ben Franklin, one of the US Founder's.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

"Oldest" I guess is a good word. It was invented by Ben Franklin, one of the US Founder's.

Source?

What we really need to do is just stop making pennies. That forces everyone to round to the fives. It's NEVER a case of people "not noticing the $0.99". How do you miss ninety-nine cents?! The real deception is the fact that all gas is $3.45 and nine tenths OF a cent.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    I really hated the stupid "buy one get second 50% off" sales gimmick JCPenney has. How about offering one at 25% off instead? Then when I don't feel like I'm being forced to get something I don't want I might look at more items then what I came into the store for and actually buy something else also.

And the amount of clothes that would interest middle aged guys like me has been reduced. There is little to choose from. Most of the clothes is stuff teenagers and college kids would wear. Guys come in different ages you know.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

Apple did not pioneer the "store within a store" retail concept. It was successfully implemented by retailers long before Apple even had retail stores (which do not even have a "store-within-a-store" merchandising concept).

had these kinds of deals usually with clothing manufacturers.. think Polo section in Macys/Bloomies/Nortstrom
  • Reply 25 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's former retail chief Ron Johnson has outlined plans for revitalizing the 110 year old retailer J.C. Penney, which he now heads as chief executive.

With a name like Ron Johnson, he could revitalise the adult entertainment industry:

Ron: What's that you're holding?

Girl: I dunno.

Ron: You're holding the wrong johnson, how about you grab hold of the Ron Johnson.

I guess if he prefers retail though, the opportunity will be missed. It should be pretty easy for him to make a big retail success for JC Penny in all fairness. He just has to fill their stores with Apple products.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Apple doesn't crap on about prices, so I don't know how this is bringing the Apple Store savvy. As others have said, it's great products first, then the rest is easy. Find some genius young clothes designer. The Steve Jobs of clothes, who can make something that looks like it belongs on the red carpet at the Oscars but costs on $100. They need a genius not a price fight.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

had these kinds of deals usually with clothing manufacturers.. think Polo section in Macys/Bloomies/Nortstrom

That is the most obvious one, yes. Started off at higher end stores but were quickly adopted by mid to lower end dept. store chains. Chain I worked for in Europe started doing this in the mid-90's.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

Apple did not pioneer the "store within a store" retail concept. It was successfully implemented by retailers long before Apple even had retail stores (which do not even have a "store-within-a-store" merchandising concept).

I remember back when CompUSA was around, before Apple even brought in their reps, I would demo iMovie 1.0 to customers with my personal video camera. It wasn't till several months later when Apple brought in a rep to do the same thing
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

As an engineer, you should know that you can't criticize a design that you haven't seen yet. This is just an ad saying "Under new management. Watch this space."

The only problem I have with JCP at the moment is their new screaming ad... can't stand it

Also went on their website to find a means to contact them. No where is there a way I could find to share this little point of view. Obviously they want to disseminate info... not accept it.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougMcNerd View Post

I REALLY thought Ron screwed up by leaving Apple for JCP. But, I have to say, I'm impressed with the initial advertising. If he can turn JCP around, I'll be surprised. But, it looks like he is on the right track.

the new ad is terrible ... it just screams ... literally ... I seek the mute button everytime it is shown. If that is their new style, sorry, not appealing to us.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

With a name like Ron Johnson, he could revitalise the adult entertainment industry:

Ron: What's that you're holding?

Girl: I dunno.

Ron: You're holding the wrong johnson, how about you grab hold of the Ron Johnson.

I guess if he prefers retail though, the opportunity will be missed. It should be pretty easy for him to make a big retail success for JC Penny in all fairness. He just has to fill their stores with Apple products.

This post is terrible, go away and get some real values in your life. Stop contaminating others
  • Reply 32 of 38
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

I LIKE the coupons at JCP. When you combine the right coupon with the right sale the clothes are very very cheap.

They look right from the Goodwill store.Old fashioned looking.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I am not sure how a revived JCP is good for the economy. Increased sales takes from somebody else. The problem with JCP is you can find the same product in a lot of different places, and as you say, the store feels cheap.

JCP needs to 1) revitalize its image, and 2) offer products that you can't get else place.

"Increased sales takes from somebody else."

Ours is ostensibly an economy built on competition. More healthy competition (that is, competition not interfered with by the government) is always better for the economy and consumers.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

This post is terrible, go away and get some real values in your life. Stop contaminating others

Oh lighten up.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazor View Post

JCPenny stores are in the mall, and most mall already provide your wishlists

The problem with department stores are that they are too big. If I can't get everything I want I will go to another store in the mall. Once I leave, I'm not coming back. They need to keep me in their stores longer to keep me as a customer.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

This may just work. Got to keep an eye on JCP.

It looks pretty badass, we'll have to see what happens. Why couldn't they keep him at Apple? I guess people all have their reasons and will want to do new things.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I remember back when CompUSA was around, before Apple even brought in their reps, I would demo iMovie 1.0 to customers with my personal video camera. It wasn't till several months later when Apple brought in a rep to do the same thing

Ah... CompUSA at Market Street, San Francisco circa 2000-2002. A wretched hive of scum and villainy. But it was alright, bought most of my Mac gear from there, and of course they had the colourful iMacs as a small Internet bar that was constantly full.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

If he can revitalize JC Penny's, that would definitely be good for the economy and maybe I will actually shop there again. Currently, JC Penny's selection is subpar and feels cheap, and the store feels like it hasn't evolved since the 80s.

They need a new marketing strategy definitely that perhaps will help them once again.