Buy an iMac next month?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a MBP now but am planning on buying an iMac next month. (I no longer need a laptop and can use the iPad for any travel.) My question is, is this a bad time to do it? Is there a redesign in the works?

If there is a complete redesign coming soon then I'd want to hold off. However, if it is just a bump in speed and storage, I'd only wait if it were coming within the next few weeks. I've read confliciting articles regarding iMac updates so was wondering what the thoughts were here. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    You can buy an iMac this month. You can buy one today. You can buy one yesterday.

Why would there be a redesign? Why does it need a redesign? What benefit would there be to one?

Ivy Bridge is close, but we don't know when desktop chips'll be out. Few months out.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can buy an iMac this month. You can buy one today. You can buy one yesterday.

Why would there be a redesign? Why does it need a redesign? What benefit would there be to one?

Ivy Bridge is close, but we don't know when desktop chips'll be out. Few months out.

Personally, I love the current design and don't think it needs a new one. However, like with a car, I don't want to get one and then a month later they come out with a new one that's even better looking and mine suddenly looks dated.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Personally, I love the current design and don't think it needs a new one. However, like with a car, I don't want to get one and then a month later they come out with a new one that's even better looking and mine suddenly looks dated.

You're the reason those Samsung commercials exist. \

There's nothing wrong with the current ones, and the Sandy Bridge->Ivy Bridge transition isn't as big a deal as Ivy Bridge->Haswell will be. Still, if you can wait the months, wait.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're the reason those Samsung commercials exist. \

There's nothing wrong with the current ones, and the Sandy Bridge->Ivy Bridge transition isn't as big a deal as Ivy Bridge->Haswell will be. Still, if you can wait the months, wait.

Actually, those almost frameless Samsung TV's are pretty sweet looking
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

I think the Cinema Display looks nicer than the 27" iMac:

Except, I don't like the white Apple logo. It could have the word iMac written in a similar way to the Macbook Pro so it's less distracting.

The optical drive takes up a lot of space in the desktop and quite honestly, I think the iMac internals are a bit of a mess when you compare them to the laptops, Mini and Pro, with wires and connectors strewn everywhere.

The hard drive is in totally the wrong place IMO because air is being sucked in from the vents at the base, passed over the CPU and GPU and then over the HDD and finally out the vent at the top. The HDD should be at the base so it gets the cool air first and they should use 2.5" drives so they can be easily pulled out the bottom like the RAM and allow easy fitting of an SSD - one of those internal drives can be used for Time Machine to save having an external drive on your desk.

Taking out the optical will allow shuffling major components around and get closer to the Cinema Display form factor. The closer it gets to a display form factor, the more impressive it is that there's a desktop computer inside.

Anyway, the next one won't arrive until April 8th at least as that's the rumoured launch date for Ivy Bridge. The new NVidia Kepler and AMD mobile GPUs should be available too, although it seems NVidia will be in Q1 vs AMD in Q2.

Samsung has an NVidia 630M in one of their Macbook Air-style laptops:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...bile-gpus.aspx

Notice the shared GPU memory - 2GB dedicated + 2GB shared = 4GB total VRAM. Kepler chips have shared virtual memory. The GPU specs listed here:

http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/Note...specifications

Double the CUDA cores of the 330M GT but 75% of the processor clock.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.63761.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.66964.0.html

They only seem to have two options so far though and they still don't match the Radeon 6970M so there's no real reason to switch to NVidia for the iMac. I expect there will be other models announced in Q2.

It would be nice to see a 23/24" 1080p model on the low-end for the iMac instead of a 21.5".
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think the Cinema Display looks nicer than the 27" iMac:

Except, I don't like the white Apple logo. It could have the word iMac written in a similar way to the Macbook Pro so it's less distracting.

It would be nice to see a 23/24" 1080p model on the low-end for the iMac instead of a 21.5".

Thanks so much for the very thorough reply! I did have a Cinema Display but have since sold it. I used it in conjunction with my MBP. However, my need for a laptop has gone away so I figured I'd go the all in one route of the iMac. I agree it would be nice to see a 24" model iMac. I worry that the 27" may be too large and the 21.5" too small, so I'm still debating that. Thanks again for the post!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    co4ndco4nd Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Thanks so much for the very thorough reply! I did have a Cinema Display but have since sold it. I used it in conjunction with my MBP. However, my need for a laptop has gone away so I figured I'd go the all in one route of the iMac. I agree it would be nice to see a 24" model iMac. I worry that the 27" may be too large and the 21.5" too small, so I'm still debating that. Thanks again for the post!

The 27 inch will be too big for about a day, after that the a 24 inch will seem teeny.