Problem Uploading

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
Anyone having a problem uploading spreadsheets to iCloud>iWork>numbers. I always get the message "problem uploading file" and have tried Excel and CSV formats. I've iploaded a small text file to the Pages section so it DOES accept uploads, not sure why it won't take my spreadsheets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfterka View Post

Anyone having a problem uploading spreadsheets to iCloud>iWork>numbers. I always get the message "problem uploading file" and have tried Excel and CSV formats. I've iploaded a small text file to the Pages section so it DOES accept uploads, not sure why it won't take my spreadsheets.

The only time I ran into that problem is when I uploaded a Excel file from a virtual machine. I run VBOX with XP installed, I need the Windows version of office sometimes because some of my company's Visual Basic stuff doesn't run properly on the OSX version of Office. Anyway I noticed that iCoud has a problem with Windows formatted Excel files sometimes. So I rename as a .txt file then upload it, after it's in the cloud I remove the .txt and just add .xls. Hope that helps. One more thing you can try is open up your terminal navigate to the file in question "cd /path to file/", then change permissions by typing "chmod 444 [filename]". I found that sometimes iCloud has a problem excepting certain file types with little permissions or when your home directory is encrypted. i.e. File Vault.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The only time I ran into that problem is when I uploaded a Excel file from a virtual machine. I run VBOX with XP installed, I need the Windows version of office sometimes because some of my company's Visual Basic stuff doesn't run properly on the OSX version of Office. Anyway I noticed that iCoud has a problem with Windows formatted Excel files sometimes. So I rename as a .txt file then upload it, after it's in the cloud I remove the .txt and just add .xls. Hope that helps. One more thing you can try is open up your terminal navigate to the file in question "cd /path to file/", then change permissions by typing "chmod 444 [filename]". I found that sometimes iCloud has a problem excepting certain file types with little permissions or when your home directory is encrypted. i.e. File Vault.

Thats a good idea - I had no problems uploading the .txt file - maybe that will work.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Realistically, to upload to iWork in iCloud - be it spreadsheets or word docs, you really need to use Keynote/Pages/Numbers for iOS? I still seem to have trouble u/l M/S Excel to iWorks.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfterka View Post

Realistically, to upload to iWork in iCloud - be it spreadsheets or word docs, you really need to use Keynote/Pages/Numbers for iOS? I still seem to have trouble u/l M/S Excel to iWorks.

To do it automatically, yes. And to do it automatically right now, yes.

Mountain Lion appears to add automatic uploads to the desktop versions.