Apple CEO Tim Cook allegedly defends new SVP of Retail amid criticisms

2

Comments

  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    Tesco which owns Fresh 'n Easy markets is closing stores right and left in the L.A. area due to bad decisions on timing, location, and I daresay the entire conception of trying to bring their stores to the U.S. to compete with Trader Joes et al. Is this the guy we want minding the store?



    The Fresh 'n' Easy stores I've been in look horrendous. The aisles are too narrow, the floors are unfinished, the lighting is annoying, and the food looks unappealing. As you may be able to tell, I was not impressed.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post


    I'm watching. I may place stop-loss orders on my modest AAPL holding.



    No need to panic yet, old man.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post


    Apple didn't hire Ron Johnson to bring Target to the Apple Stores either.. Worked out just fine for Apple.



    Excellent point.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post


    My biggest concern is this new guy doesn't look much like a magician. This is bad news for the future of Apple.



    On the other hand, who really knew of Jony Ive before he shone brightly at Apple? A few people certainly knew of his talent, but Apple made him world famous.
  • stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    If this dude does not work out, they can replace him. Papermaster was a dud and Apple barely missed a beat. Stop worrying
  • napybluenapyblue Posts: 14member
    Would Steve Jobs have defended his decision? NO!



    I had no concerns about the appointment of Browett until Cook found it necessary to defend the decision. Now I not only have concerns about Browett but more importantly whether Cook is qualified to be the CEO of Apple. When Jobs died he should have willed his cojones to Cook.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NapyBlue View Post


    Would Steve Jobs have defended his decision? NO!



    Yes, because Steve Jobs never defended a single position that he took.



  • magoomagoo Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Excellent point.



    How bad was/is Target?



    Dixon's, Currys, PC World etc., are really really bad, they are places you avoid. Windows papered with posters about the latest sales (and there are always sales), hundreds of different products thrown together with no thought or organisation. You will always find at least one broken product - something physically damaged - chained to a counter. Staff are obviously on commission - a friend of mine was told that she couldn't use her laptop with out MS Office and antivirus software. Not only that but staff pounce on you. The only way to get rid of them is to ask a question about how something functions, then they have to go find a manager.



    These places are hardware supermarkets, they are the kind of places that suck the joy out of purchases, you leave feeling like you either been fleeced or harrassed.



    This is this guys legacy. High level customer service is completely missing from anything to do with Dixons. The differences between Dixons Group shops and Apple Stores is the difference between McDonalds and 3 star Michelin restaurants.
  • thomprthompr Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Replace "Cook" with "Sculley" in that statement.

    Is it always true that Jobs' hand-picked CEOs are somehow above scrutiny?



    Jobs 1.0 couldn't gauge talent to save his life. Hence Sculley.



    Jobs 2.0 was a master at it. Hence Cook.



    I agree with the previous poster.



    Thompson
  • thomprthompr Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NapyBlue View Post


    Would Steve Jobs have defended his decision? NO!



    I had no concerns about the appointment of Browett until Cook found it necessary to defend the decision. Now I not only have concerns about Browett but more importantly whether Cook is qualified to be the CEO of Apple. When Jobs died he should have willed his cojones to Cook.



    Jobs frequently sent back e-mails defending or explaining something. Often it was more of a high-brow response, but the underlying defense mechanism was the same. Only the tone was different. Here's another Jobsism for you: "No big deal."



    Thompson
  • paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Yes, because Steve Jobs never defended a single position that he took.







    The (legitimate) concern here is: can a British ex CEO of Dixons GET Apple? For anyone who has stepped into a Dixons store the obvious answer is Hell No. Dixons and Currys are like low end Best Buys. And customer service? Probably on par with BB or aittle below. You know, expert advice consists of the 'expert' reading the box and then delivering the killer - "if it doesn't work you can just bring it back"
  • paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magoo View Post


    How bad was/is Target?



    Dixon's, Currys, PC World etc., are really really bad, they are places you avoid. Windows papered with posters about the latest sales (and there are always sales), hundreds of different products thrown together with no thought or organisation. You will always find at least one broken product - something physically damaged - chained to a counter. Staff are obviously on commission - a friend of mine was told that she couldn't use her laptop with out MS Office and antivirus software. Not only that but staff pounce on you. The only way to get rid of them is to ask a question about how something functions, then they have to go find a manager.



    These places are hardware supermarkets, they are the kind of places that suck the joy out of purchases, you leave feeling like you either been fleeced or harrassed.



    This is this guys legacy. High level customer service is completely missing from anything to do with Dixons. The differences between Dixons Group shops and Apple Stores is the difference between McDonalds and 3 star Michelin restaurants.



    Spot on. Target today is way above Dixons et all. A high end Wollies (I know, that sounds just wrong)
  • brockwaybrockway Posts: 11member
    Dixon's? Never heard of it.
  • suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post


    Jobs 1.0 couldn't gauge talent to save his life. Hence Sculley.



    Jobs 2.0 was a master at it. Hence Cook.



    I agree with the previous poster.



    Thompson



    I hope you're right and I'm wrong, because I love visiting the Apple Store. If Browett screws this up, it's on Cook's hands.
  • doctor daviddoctor david Posts: 819member
    I'm thoroughly shocked Tim Cook didn't consult me before making this decision. I could have provided insight that would have been invaluable to him. Certainly Steve Jobs would have.



    /sarcasm
  • asciiascii Posts: 5,363member
    "I hired him because he has big brown eyes and a fabulous accent. And I don't want to hear about no Dixon's."



    Signed, Tim Cook.
  • shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    If "customer service and satisfaction" is so important to Mr Browett why wasn't he able to improve either at Dixons (Currys & PC World) over the past 4 years as CEO. Their customer service is just as bad today as it ever was.



    I wish the guy well and I hope he does a good job but I can only conclude from his appointment that Tim Cook wants a more aggressive retail sales push over the next few years.
  • kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,108member
    The comments so far take no account of this guy's international educational background. Dummies don't get into or graduate from Cambridge and Wharton. Also, let's hear what some of his business colleagues have to say about him. There should be some business writers chasing down this aspect of the story now.
  • markcumarkcu Posts: 31member
    The current state of the Dixons/currys retail chain should have said more than enough about this guys ability to manage a large retail operation....let alone an international retail operation.



    The service provided at these outlets can best be described as consistently appalling. There is an extremely limited product knowledge available on the sales floor, and more often than not questions about products are not answered or simply plain wrong.



    It is extremely worrying that one of the reasons this guy has been selected is because of his 'service focus' I would suggest that an exec fromJohn Lewis or Marks and Spencers would be more in line with the apple brand..



    I can only imagine that apple were really scraping the barrel if he is the best they found....and i'm basing this opinion on the spectacularly poor performance his current brands demonstrate in the areas of service...



    Tim Cook obviously has never visited on of the Dixons/Currys Stores.....shame..
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by markcu View Post


    Tim Cook obviously has never visited on of the Dixons/Currys Stores.....shame..



    Guys like Tim don't go to retail stores. They have their help do that for them.
Sign In or Register to comment.