Apple CEO Tim Cook allegedly defends new SVP of Retail amid criticisms

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Tesco which owns Fresh 'n Easy markets is closing stores right and left in the L.A. area due to bad decisions on timing, location, and I daresay the entire conception of trying to bring their stores to the U.S. to compete with Trader Joes et al. Is this the guy we want minding the store?

The Fresh 'n' Easy stores I've been in look horrendous. The aisles are too narrow, the floors are unfinished, the lighting is annoying, and the food looks unappealing. As you may be able to tell, I was not impressed.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

I'm watching. I may place stop-loss orders on my modest AAPL holding.

No need to panic yet, old man.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Apple didn't hire Ron Johnson to bring Target to the Apple Stores either.. Worked out just fine for Apple.

Excellent point.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

My biggest concern is this new guy doesn't look much like a magician. This is bad news for the future of Apple.

On the other hand, who really knew of Jony Ive before he shone brightly at Apple? A few people certainly knew of his talent, but Apple made him world famous.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    If this dude does not work out, they can replace him. Papermaster was a dud and Apple barely missed a beat. Stop worrying
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Would Steve Jobs have defended his decision? NO!

I had no concerns about the appointment of Browett until Cook found it necessary to defend the decision. Now I not only have concerns about Browett but more importantly whether Cook is qualified to be the CEO of Apple. When Jobs died he should have willed his cojones to Cook.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NapyBlue View Post

Yes, because Steve Jobs never defended a single position that he took.

• Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Excellent point.

How bad was/is Target?

Dixon's, Currys, PC World etc., are really really bad, they are places you avoid. Windows papered with posters about the latest sales (and there are always sales), hundreds of different products thrown together with no thought or organisation. You will always find at least one broken product - something physically damaged - chained to a counter. Staff are obviously on commission - a friend of mine was told that she couldn't use her laptop with out MS Office and antivirus software. Not only that but staff pounce on you. The only way to get rid of them is to ask a question about how something functions, then they have to go find a manager.

These places are hardware supermarkets, they are the kind of places that suck the joy out of purchases, you leave feeling like you either been fleeced or harrassed.

This is this guys legacy. High level customer service is completely missing from anything to do with Dixons. The differences between Dixons Group shops and Apple Stores is the difference between McDonalds and 3 star Michelin restaurants.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Replace "Cook" with "Sculley" in that statement.

Is it always true that Jobs' hand-picked CEOs are somehow above scrutiny?

Jobs 1.0 couldn't gauge talent to save his life. Hence Sculley.

Jobs 2.0 was a master at it. Hence Cook.

I agree with the previous poster.

Thompson
  • Reply 30 of 54
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NapyBlue View Post

I had no concerns about the appointment of Browett until Cook found it necessary to defend the decision. Now I not only have concerns about Browett but more importantly whether Cook is qualified to be the CEO of Apple. When Jobs died he should have willed his cojones to Cook.

Jobs frequently sent back e-mails defending or explaining something. Often it was more of a high-brow response, but the underlying defense mechanism was the same. Only the tone was different. Here's another Jobsism for you: "No big deal."

Thompson
  • Reply 31 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, because Steve Jobs never defended a single position that he took.

The (legitimate) concern here is: can a British ex CEO of Dixons GET Apple? For anyone who has stepped into a Dixons store the obvious answer is Hell No. Dixons and Currys are like low end Best Buys. And customer service? Probably on par with BB or aittle below. You know, expert advice consists of the 'expert' reading the box and then delivering the killer - "if it doesn't work you can just bring it back"
  • Reply 32 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magoo View Post

How bad was/is Target?

Dixon's, Currys, PC World etc., are really really bad, they are places you avoid. Windows papered with posters about the latest sales (and there are always sales), hundreds of different products thrown together with no thought or organisation. You will always find at least one broken product - something physically damaged - chained to a counter. Staff are obviously on commission - a friend of mine was told that she couldn't use her laptop with out MS Office and antivirus software. Not only that but staff pounce on you. The only way to get rid of them is to ask a question about how something functions, then they have to go find a manager.

These places are hardware supermarkets, they are the kind of places that suck the joy out of purchases, you leave feeling like you either been fleeced or harrassed.

This is this guys legacy. High level customer service is completely missing from anything to do with Dixons. The differences between Dixons Group shops and Apple Stores is the difference between McDonalds and 3 star Michelin restaurants.

Spot on. Target today is way above Dixons et all. A high end Wollies (I know, that sounds just wrong)
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Dixon's? Never heard of it.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Jobs 1.0 couldn't gauge talent to save his life. Hence Sculley.

Jobs 2.0 was a master at it. Hence Cook.

I agree with the previous poster.

Thompson

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, because I love visiting the Apple Store. If Browett screws this up, it's on Cook's hands.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    I'm thoroughly shocked Tim Cook didn't consult me before making this decision. I could have provided insight that would have been invaluable to him. Certainly Steve Jobs would have.

/sarcasm
  • Reply 36 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    "I hired him because he has big brown eyes and a fabulous accent. And I don't want to hear about no Dixon's."

Signed, Tim Cook.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    If "customer service and satisfaction" is so important to Mr Browett why wasn't he able to improve either at Dixons (Currys & PC World) over the past 4 years as CEO. Their customer service is just as bad today as it ever was.

I wish the guy well and I hope he does a good job but I can only conclude from his appointment that Tim Cook wants a more aggressive retail sales push over the next few years.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    The comments so far take no account of this guy's international educational background. Dummies don't get into or graduate from Cambridge and Wharton. Also, let's hear what some of his business colleagues have to say about him. There should be some business writers chasing down this aspect of the story now.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    The current state of the Dixons/currys retail chain should have said more than enough about this guys ability to manage a large retail operation....let alone an international retail operation.

The service provided at these outlets can best be described as consistently appalling. There is an extremely limited product knowledge available on the sales floor, and more often than not questions about products are not answered or simply plain wrong.

It is extremely worrying that one of the reasons this guy has been selected is because of his 'service focus' I would suggest that an exec fromJohn Lewis or Marks and Spencers would be more in line with the apple brand..

I can only imagine that apple were really scraping the barrel if he is the best they found....and i'm basing this opinion on the spectacularly poor performance his current brands demonstrate in the areas of service...

Tim Cook obviously has never visited on of the Dixons/Currys Stores.....shame..
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markcu View Post

Tim Cook obviously has never visited on of the Dixons/Currys Stores.....shame..

Guys like Tim don't go to retail stores. They have their help do that for them.