US smartphone installed base sees slowing shift from RIM to Android

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

After a rapid erosion of RIM's BlackBerry US market share throughout 2011, new data indicates a stabilizing slowdown in RIM's losses as well as a tapering off of Android's growth, as Apple continued to be the only significant manufacture to experience growth in the quarter.

Android appeared to be the primary beneficiary of RIM's US lost market share, which tumbled from just over 30 percent in January down to 16 percent in December, according to survey-based figures compiled by comScore.

Over the same period, Android increased from a near tie with RIM at the beginning of the year to a 47 percent share at the end, essentially mirror image of RIM's decline.

Apple steadily grew its share throughout the year, increasing from 25 percent to 30 percent over the year, as tracked by RBC analyst Mike Abramsky in the figure below.

Quarterly shift

Across entire platforms, Comscore said Google's Android and Apple's iOS were the only smartphone platforms to gain share in the quarter, with Android gaining by 2.5 percent and Apple growing by 2.2 percent.

RIM continued to fall by 2.9 percent for the fourth quarter, and Microsoft and Symbian remained stagnant, although Comscore's numbers suggest far greater market share for "Microsoft" than other firm's figures. Comscore doesn't distinguish between Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 7, which has yet to gain any significant share in the US.

Apple also the only maker among the top 5 US manufactures representing 70 percent of the US market to experience growth in the quarter.

Monthly cooling trend chills Android and RIM

On a monthly scale, Abramsky noted that RIM's reported market share dropped from 16.6 percent in November to 16 percent in December, a deceleration of its losses.

During the same month, Android grew by just 0.4 percent while Apple grew by 0.9 percent, more than twice as fast.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by What we see

After a rapid erosion of RIM's BlackBerry US market share throughout 2011, new data indicates a stabilizing slowdown in RIM's losses as well as a tapering off of Android's growth, as Apple continued to be the only significant manufacture to experience growth in the quarter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by What slapppy sees

After a rapid erosion of RIM's BlackBerry US market share throughout 2011, new data indicates Android's the only significant manufacture to experience growth in the quarter.

I think I may have distilled it.

What do you call this sort of inability to see the truth? It's like beer goggles, but no combination or dosage of hallucinogenic drugs could ever produce the stuff slapppy says.

Shame for Microsoft, though.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What do you call this sort of inability to see the truth? It's like beer goggles, but no combination or dosage of hallucinogenic drugs could ever produce the stuff slapppy says.

He will see the following

Google point change 2.5

Apple point change 2.2

2.5>2.2 = apple doom
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Poor RIM.

Maybe they should just change their name to 'reamed'?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As Slappy would say:

"APPLE ARE DOOMED! DOOMED I SAY" MARK MY WORDS APPLE WILL HAVE 2% IN TWO YEARS"
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Ridicule me all you want and by year end I will eagerly accept your apologies. By years end iOS will only grow by 1% if they are lucky.

"Across entire platforms, Comscore said Google's Android and Apple's iOS were the only smartphone platforms to gain share in the quarter, with Android gaining by 2.5 percent and Apple growing by 2.2 percent."
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Ridicule me all you want and by year end I will eagerly accept your apologies. By years end iOS will only grow by 1% if they are lucky.

"Across entire platforms, Comscore said Google's Android and Apple's iOS were the only smartphone platforms to gain share in the quarter, with Android gaining by 2.5 percent and Apple growing by 2.2 percent."

Market share I can't say for sure if it will grow or not this year. To be honest I see people leaving and coming from iOS everyday. Some days it seems more first time buyers from android and other phones. Others it seems like more people getting large Samsung phones. To be honest I think as far as market share iOS will be stagnant while still growing in the install base from new smart phone adapters.(Remember if an existing iPhone owner buys a new iPhone it means a stagnant number. while the market grows at the same pace as new Adopters means the market share will stagnant). I believe that Android will see a drop in its market share while still having a high overall growth. Blackberry will see both drops in market share to close to nothing and its install base go. While I think WP7 will see a strong growth in market share and install base. Just my prediction.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

It looks to me like Android is peaking while iOS is growing steadily.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

I all seriousness, no barbs or bad attitude intended...

Do you really believe Apple is poised for a bad year with a market of 40 million new users in China, iPhone on 3 major carriers in the USA, and what will certainly be the biggest launch of the year, iPhone 5 coming mid year?

I use an android phone as my personal phone, and even I can see this year is going to be HUGE for Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Do you really believe Apple is poised for a bad year??

Yes, he does. And if he doesn't, his account exists for the express purpose of trolling, and we know what happens to them.

So he HAS to stick to his completely nonsensical, psychotic beliefs.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

The funny thing here is that Apple is walking away with 75% of the profit each year... If Apple sells a few more percent units, it will have 92% profit in the industry. Leaving all the other makers to sell lots of phone and lose money and go broke.

Just a thought people, but if Apple is making all the high profit money and the rest is left for cheap phones and cheap smart phones,,,,, who is sitting at the top of the heap here????

Just a thought,
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Looks to me like Android has just about peaked in terms of marketshare. Microsoft is bound to rise a little bit over the next couple of years due to the Nokia partnership, and the iPhone 5 is likely to attract a goodly percentage of the Android userbase. As RIM continues to implode, the remaining, mostly corporate customers will flock to iOS or Win 8 (Android just has too many security issues).

Look for Amazon to launch an "Android in name only" phone as part of their closed ecosystem sometime in the next 12-24 months, stealing additional market share from the Android clown brigade (especially at the low end).

So Android will have Apple crushing them from above and Amazon crushing them from below. Recipe for failure.