Windows Phone 8 to address its "perceived inability to compete" with iPhone, Android later this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Does this mean yet another iPhone funeral procession?
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

LOL. Microsoft needs to stop pissing away shareholders money on a dead platform. It should just focus on maintaining their illegally obtained desktop/office monopoly and making software for the real mobile platforms.

I`ve often wondered why they don`t do this.

It seems to me to be a very smart path for them to take.

I`d be willing to spend a nice chunk of change for a fully operational iOS Office app.

I`m pretty sure I`m not alone
  • Reply 23 of 61
    This article is wrong about front facing cameras, they have already been implemented months ago on a range of phones, and Mango has API's to allow camera control - including the Focus Flash.

I believe the quote "perceived inability to compete", is referring to the lack of dual core, while acknowledging that WP7.5 is very efficent, often being very smooth despite a single core, compared to Andoid with more cores, and a more unefficent OS. That said obviously dual core, and beyhond is coming, and would benefit games more. WP are currently 1.5GHZ single core chips, while iPhone is an underclocked 800MHZ dual core. The biggest performance difference is because of the graphics processor, not the CPU

From reading multiple reviews I get the impression some Windows Phones are more power efficent than iOS, partly because of the single core, and also having a more black interface (with screens that don't drain power to render black).

I thought vapourware refers to something that obviously feels fake, and is never going to arrive, everyone knows Apollo is coming, and i'm sure it will be shown within the coming months. Otherwise you could call any unreleased product vapourware, including iPhone 5 ,and iPad 3, which the media loves to follow every tiny silly rumor.

No one ever claimed WP was going to dominate. Everyone knew it would be an uphill battle for MS, they simply got left behind for a while, and had to restart. Just because WP hasn't sold well so far, doesn't mean it's not a good product, and wont improve. My interpretation of the situation is that MS is being very methodical, and is building a strong platform core, for many years to come. Multiple cores etc will come, but they are taking their time to do things right.

The quote "WP7 development is currently based on Microsoft's largely abandoned effort to replicate the functionality of Adobe Flash" is incorrect. WP allows any language that uses the .NET managed code, and allows further development using XNA cross platform development, and C#, and Visual ++. I believe the word flash was chosen, because amongst Apple folks, it's an especially dirty word, thus a strong insult intended.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I saw a WinPhone in the wild the other day for the first time. I was in the grocery store. The guy was ahead of me in line. It looked like he was able to navigate through his messages pretty well. I was trying to size him up. He was about late 30s, clean cut, purchasing some uncommon craft beers. I watched him as he got into his older Hyundai in the parking lot.

That was an intriguing beginning
  • Reply 25 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

I hope MS has dropped that form of their hubris. I understand that it can be morale building for some employees but when that stuff gets published it's likely to do more harm than good.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Burn BABY Burn!!!

Steve Ballmer still doesn't get it. What a world he must live in. Oh well, I love the smell of microsoft burning in the morning...
  • Reply 27 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Ballmer's skating to where the puck was. The "new and improved" WM8 will almost do what the 2011 phones do, and it won't be available until almost 2013.

It's more than just the puck, Apple is at another ice rink and no one else even knows where the game is at. That said, it's Apple controlling not only the game but the league, so I don't know MS (or anyone else) can do anything else but keep investing into into this market for a chance to carve out a niche or for Apple to screw up. Apple and Nintendo are two technology companies that have both fallen from their perch and come back to reclaim strong holds. I see no reason why MS can't do that. Surely WinPh will cost them less than the Xbox 360 did. Are you specifically against the way MS is doing something with WinPh or is this just a general slam against them?

MS probably makes the most profit in the industry after Apple from licenses from handset vendors. I think that will pay for their WinPh R&D for quite awhile. All they can do is try, can we really expect anything else. Now we point real issues with their approach but there really isn't any, except for calling it Windows. WinPh is solid, it's just less mature than iOS so the ecosystem pales in comparison. That can be corrected with time. Will it, seems doubtful, but it seems even less doubtful that all those vendors using Android will actually be around in 5 years, with the exception of Samsung who might have forked Android completely or moved on to Bada by that point. In any case, MS is actually doing a bang up job with their mobile OS. To quote David Pogue, "It's not popular because it's not popular."
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bfulda View Post

Burn BABY Burn!!!

Steve Ballmer still doesn't get it. What a world he must live in. Oh well, I love the smell of microsoft burning in the morning...

Get it? What that only Apple should have a mobile operating system? Because they are supercool, and MS evil?

MS have made great strides with a quality alternative OS, in a relatively short space of time, and are iterating in many ways, that is going to allow for an awesome and somewhat open platform - that doesn't sound like not getting it to me. Convicing cosumers to buy into a new platform is the biggest challenge.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

If MS had an ounce of humor and humility, instead of a funeral for the iPhone they would change the code name for WP8 to Pheonix and create an ad touting the MS phone has risen from the ashes. Maybe the ad can have the WP8 rise up from a graveyard of brown Zunes. Let them take their lumps and put forth a product and compete.

/

/

/
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

I`d be willing to spend a nice chunk of change for a fully operational iOS Office app.

Doesn't that come free with WP? Plus integration with Exchange and Sharepoint?
  • Reply 31 of 61
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Competition brings innovation faster, so this is good.

Lots of people say this, but what is the evidence? Never has Apple required competition to innovate. Competition didn't create the iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

I`ve often wondered why they don`t do this.

It seems to me to be a very smart path for them to take.

MS needs to bring Office to the iPad -- independent of whatever they do for Windows 8.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    "Perceived inability to compete", indeed. Sort of like how bricks have a "perceived inability to float in the air".
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Too little too late. anybody that would even consider WP must be a total loser.

Total loser? Anybody that would make that kind of comment is the total loser. Windows Phone 7/7.5 is not bad at all. Way better than Android. Sure they only have 50K apps, but they have most covered. If you are a big Windows Live/hotmail/skydrive (skydive is way better than iCloud right now) they Windows Phone is probably better for you.

That said its not for me
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Simply listing 1,000 features is not going to convince customers to switch to your device (especially when the competition already has 99.8% of them.

I could laugh and make fun of you for being clueless for confusing a leaked video for Nokia partners for customers communications...

...but the truth is the only thing you did wrong was make the mistake of taking a Dillger article at face value, something I've been guilty of myself.

Read if you must, but always always always check the source on the Dillger article, otherwise you end up repeating this stuff in public and getting laughed at by your colleagues.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

This will come when they get a front-facing camera built into the WM8 hardware... or maybe not. Stay tuned to Monky Boy coming to a Windows phone near you.

If there is anything worse than looking clueless it's looking like a clueless jackass. As above, you should always check the source on a Dillger article.

Windows Phones have supported front-facing cameras for months.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Too little too late. anybody that would even consider WP must be a total loser.

Total loser? Anybody that would make that kind of comment is the total loser.

It's far worse than that.

That someone would have the self-belief they can label another person as a "loser" based on the type of phone they have indicates a level of social ineptitude (or immaturity) bordering on clinical narcissism.

I hate to invoke such an overused Internet forum cliché, but these truly are the words of a teenager (or perhaps adult in need of psychological evaluation).
  • Reply 37 of 61
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Microsoft needs to be more rapid with their Windows Phone releases. Also, how can they release a phone in 2012 that isn't dual core?
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Microsoft needs to be more rapid with their Windows Phone releases. How can they release a phone in 2012 that isn't dual core?

The line they use is that they are competing on the "user experience", not specs.

Not surprisingly this is the same line that Apple use, and in both cases it ends up being a load of bullshit.

This "user experience" line works for Apple because they have pretty much dictated the market up until this point.

Things like apps, front facing cameras, copy & paste and multi-tasking were all seen by a lot of people as not really important... right up until Apple announced their inclusion in the latest iPhone, at which point they basically became "essential features" of a smart phone.

Depending on what is included in the iPhone "5" expect to see the same thing happen with larger screens ("the iPhone screen is the perfect size"), NFC ("NFC is useless without Apple on board"), 4G ("LTE isn't even worth it yet") and Quad-core chips ("a phone doesn't need more than a dual core!").

My point being that it doesn't really matter if the WPx "user experience" would improve with a dual-core chip (apparently they tested it, and it didn't), the fact is "dual-core" has become an "essential feature" of a smart phone because Apple are doing it now.

I suspect the truth is that Microsoft had to make a choice between bringing the Windows 8 kernel down to the phone and adding features (like multi-core) to the exiting Windows Phone 7 kernel.

You can be assured that once they are capable of releasing a dual-core Windows 8 phone they will drop the "user experience matters, not multi-core" line for "we have improved the user experience with a multi-core chip!" (regardless of the actual truth)
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's more than just the puck, Apple is at another ice rink and no one else even knows where the game is at. That said, it's Apple controlling not only the game but the league, so I don't know MS (or anyone else) can do anything else but keep investing into into this market for a chance to carve out a niche or for Apple to screw up. Apple and Nintendo are two technology companies that have both fallen from their perch and come back to reclaim strong holds. I see no reason why MS can't do that.

In order for Microsoft to make a comeback, they'll need to rebirth themselves into another company. A whole sale reorganization at the highest levels with new ideas people is going to the only thing that brings it back. As you said, Apple controls the game at this point. Ballmer's strategy is: copy Apple, make a few things different, beat our chest, fail. He has no idea that in order to beat Apple, he's going to have to create his own markets with new products, not copy others and say they're better.

I know you're a big fan of the WinPH OS, but in this case, MS followed Apple into yet another minefield of Apple's. First the Zune, the Kin, now WinPhone. Not to mention the aborted attempt at a Windows tablet in the model of the iPad. MS needs to find another market that Apple is NOT into and become an innovator there. Be original, daring, creative, innovative. Maybe Ballmer needs to drop acid (small joke).

I believe he said a few years back that the core strategy for MS is to push Windows, wherever and whenever, whether it be desktop PC's, phones or whatever. Turning away from Windows is thought to be the the stake in the heart for Microsoft. If that's the case then they're done as an innovator and will be living off Windows profits, with no jump in energy or excitement. Whooopee freaking do.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It's far worse than that.

That someone would have the self-belief they can label another person as a "loser" based on the type of phone they have indicates a level of social ineptitude (or immaturity) bordering on clinical narcissism.

I hate to invoke such an overused Internet forum cliché, but these truly are the words of a teenager (or perhaps adult in need of psychological evaluation).

So it's not OK for someone to call someone a Loser, because that means they are immature and could mean they're narcissist, but it's OK for you to call that person a teenager. Got it.

How is that any different? Should I consider you a narcissist for having slung a childish insult back?