iPhone 3G without data plan

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    If you are looking for a way to get an Iphone 3GS without the high costs of breaking your contract this is how I did it.

1). You have to be upgrade eligible

2). Go to an authorized retailer (Sam's club) and upgrade your phone with a 2 year contract

3). They will register the imei off the new phone to your account. and add the $15 data plan

4). Take the sim card out and put it into another phone (not iphone)

5). Call AT&T and tell them that your sim card was in an iphone, but is no longer they will take off the data plan and have them remove the imei number from the iphone and update to the basic phone that does not require a data plan.

This will give you a brand new iphone 3GS for the discounted contract renewal price (96 cents in my case that you can either try and use with the 3G disabled (Wifi only) or sell it for $200+ as I did. I am using and original iphone with no data plan and am paying $9.99 on a family plan or you can pop in an old AT&T sim card with no service and use it for wifi and itunes and apps just like an itouch, but without the high price tag.

Way better than getting some cheap free phone that is pretty much worthless by the time you get it. This way you at least get something out of the 2 year commitment W/O the apple tax...
  • Reply 62 of 72
    My boyfriend plans on giving me his old iPhone 3G. I currently do not have a data plan for my phone. Could I still put my Sim card in the iPhone and just use wifi for my internet needs?
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShelbyKatelyn View Post

My boyfriend plans on giving me his old iPhone 3G. I currently do not have a data plan for my phone. Could I still put my Sim card in the iPhone and just use wifi for my internet needs?

No. Not in the United States, at least. You cannot do this. You will be charged for data.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scubaokie View Post

This DOES NOT WORK. AT&T will add the data plan. Period. No exceptions. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it. ONLY the first-gen iPhone can be used without data.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. Not in the United States, at least. You cannot do this. You will be charged for data.

This DOES NOT WORK. AT&T will add the data plan. Period. No exceptions. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it. ONLY the first-gen iPhone can be used without data.

My boyfriend doesn't have a data plan either. So how does his work? He can't get on the internet or use apps that need internet without wifi...
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:

My boyfriend doesn't have a data plan either. So how does his work? He can't get on the internet or use apps that need internet without wifi...

Then he's not in the US or he's unlocked on T-Mobile, Boost Mobile, or one of the other unofficial carriers. AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint will not connect your iPhone without data.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    Quote:

Then he's not in the US or he's unlocked on T-Mobile, Boost Mobile, or one of the other unofficial carriers. AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint will not connect your iPhone without data.

He's on an AT&T plan with his parents, and yes. He does live in the US.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Quote:

He's on an AT&T plan with his parents, and yes. He does live in the US.

Well, unless he's using a first-gen iPhone himself, he'll be getting data added to his plan soon.

Sorry, but that's their extortionate rules.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    Quote:

Well, unless he's using a first-gen iPhone himself, he'll be getting data added to his plan soon.

Sorry, but that's their extortionate rules.

Isn't the 3G the first one?
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Quote:

Isn't the 3G the first one?

Second. Also, ignore the following:

(See, everyone?! Regular people don't know these things! They don't expect 'iPhone 5'!)
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:

Second. Also, ignore the following:

(See, everyone?! Regular people don't know these things! They don't expect 'iPhone 5'!)

Now I'm completely confused.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Quote:

Now I'm completely confused.

The first iPhone has an aluminum (so silver) back. It can be used on AT&T without a data plan.

The second one is the iPhone 3G. It has a black back (did they come in white? I forget.) and cannot be used on AT&T without data.

The third one is the iPhone 3GS. Came in black and white and cannot be used on AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint without a data plan.

The fourth one is the iPhone 4 (not a coincidence). As before, it cannot be used on AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint without a data plan.

The fifth one is the iPhone 4S. Can't be used without data.

So ignoring the first model, you can't use one without data period, no exceptions. If you want to not have data, you have to go to T-Mobile or someone else without an iPhone.

Unless your boyfriend has the same phone as me (and since he's giving you his 'old iPhone 3G', I doubt that), eventually AT&T will find him using an iPhone without data and automatically change his plan (without his consent or knowledge) to the proper one with data.

Same goes for you if you try to put your current SIM in that iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:

The first iPhone has an aluminum (so silver) back. It can be used on AT&T without a data plan.

The second one is the iPhone 3G. It has a black back (did they come in white? I forget.) and cannot be used on AT&T without data.

The third one is the iPhone 3GS. Came in black and white and cannot be used on AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint without a data plan.

The fourth one is the iPhone 4 (not a coincidence). As before, it cannot be used on AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint without a data plan.

The fifth one is the iPhone 4S. Can't be used without data.

So ignoring the first model, you can't use one without data period, no exceptions. If you want to not have data, you have to go to T-Mobile or someone else without an iPhone.

Unless your boyfriend has the same phone as me (and since he's giving you his 'old iPhone 3G', I doubt that), eventually AT&T will find him using an iPhone without data and automatically change his plan (without his consent or knowledge) to the proper one with data.

Same goes for you if you try to put your current SIM in that iPhone 3G.

So, what is this that I hear about the "airplane mode"? Can I put it on airplane mode, and still make and receive calls and texts? And what if I jailbreak it?