T-Mobile to offer official support for unlocked iPhones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Even if you buy your phone new unlocked from Apple, you pay significantly less over the life of the plan on T-Mobile. The price of a $649 iPhone (minus the upfront cost on a subsidized plan) would cost $18.75 cents over two years.

A basic two line family plan with texting and 3 GBs of data cost over a hundred and forty five dollars a month on AT&T. On T-Mobile the same family plan costs around eighty dollars a month. So if you spread the cost of two iPhones over the life of the plan on T-Mobile the cost would be about a hundred and fifteen a month. If you don't need a data plan, the cost drops even more on T-Moble. You can't use iPhones on AT&T without a data plan. On T-Mobile you can.

As far as Edge on T-Mobile goes, almost every where I go has wifi. My phone has maps stored on the phone, so I don't' need data for GPS functionality. Further, T-Mobile has greatly improved its Edge network over the last few months, and there aren't as many people on it, so for things like web surfing and email Edge is fast enough. I wouldn't want to stream video on it though.

Jailbreaking only voids the warranty if caught. If you fully restore the phone, there is no way to know it was jailbroken.

1) I don't get how you came to "$18.75 cents" or what it means.

2) What about if you don't care about talk time because the minimum plans for each is more than sufficient, and you don't care about SMS/MMS because you think it's a racket and can commicate fine with iMessage, email and IM on your phone? Also, I like my data fast and wouldn't put up with Verizon and Sprint's slow EV-DO so I certainly wouldn't put up with T-Mobile USA's EDGE just to save a couple dollars. I don't see the market for a $650 iPhone running only on EDGE to be very large in 2012.

3) My AT&T bill with 2GB data was under $80 last month. With a subsidized 16GB iPhone that is $199 + (24 x $8*) = $2,119** over two years or $88.29 per month on average.

PS: Due to the factory unlocked iPhone being of higher value in after market sales that difference between the factory locked or SW unlocked iPhones needs to be taken into account when looking at the total overall difference.

* Rounded up.

** Not including activation of phone or taking into account that I upgrade my phone less than every two years.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Not hatin' just sayin' ... Isn't using an iPhone 4 or 4S on Edge kinda like trying to run a BMW on spit and moonshine?
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Not hatin' just sayin' ... Isn't using an iPhone 4 or 4S on Edge kinda like trying to run a BMW on spit and moonshine?

Unless you are around a lot of WiFi or mainly want the device for using apps that are dependent on the internet it does seem like a poor alternative. I'm sure fit the bill for that type of usage but those are surely fringe cases. While also fringe cases I bet there are most that just think they are better for not being on the big bad evil networks.

They are like the people in the Matrix that think they are free but they eventually find out they are still in the matrix, just a more unpleasant one. That's what happened in the 3rd movie, right? I could quite figure it out.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    What you DID NOT HEAR about T-Mobile through AT&T's eyes:

http://www.cringely.com/2011/03/att-...-for-its-wifi/

Hints to the iPhone future:

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/article...d-wifi-calling
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'd rather use it with data blocked to and from the device entirely. I'm not wasting my money on something I do not need, will never use, and therefore do not want at all.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

What you DID NOT HEAR about T-Mobile through AT&T's eyes:

http://www.cringely.com/2011/03/att-...-for-its-wifi/

Hints to the iPhone future:

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/article...d-wifi-calling

Cringely is nuts.