Apple clarifies iBooks Author license, does not claim rights to content

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

There's no real way to use the "value" of iBooks Author without iBooks. Apple just doesn't want Amazon selling iBooks that Apple helped create. It wants a cut.

So use the authoring tools Amazon provides to make books to sell in their store or the tools Google provides to make books to sell in their store.

In other words harden up and quit with the whining.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    As I remember, its an USD 8 Billion/yr industry (per Mr.Jobs himself)? So, even if I assume 10% of these text books are to be iBooks in future (which I'm sure would be more than this), 30% of 10% *8B is a good amount for a s/w provided to masses for free.

I may be a kiddo not to understand the market dynamics, but the world's top online book seller makes a quarterly profit of just $177m, that includes selling of paperback+digital text books plus everything else. Do they take a big 30% of the cut? and Apple's 30% cut to people seem to be very small.

And with Apple having an expert team of legal counsels sitting there, I dont think their original EULA would have been a mistake. Its just when they would have seen not much interest from the terrified books publishers of this EULA, could have triggered the new tweak. What if Final Cut Pro tomorrow comes with a discount but the video could only be played on Apple devices?

I could mostly find Apple justifiers in this forum, who always have selective views on what ever is posted.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I hope you don't really believe the BS you wrote because I find it hard to believe anyone could be so misinformed.

Exactly!

I also like to know where I can signup like him/her. It looks easy money. Just write some BS against Apple and collect the check. No matter how ignorant you are, I don't believe anyone can be ignorant enough to wirte this.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

...To my knowledge, no other software maker is making that claim for its application. The saved output of a Word app is yours to do with as you please. The saved output of InDesign is yours to do with as you please. Only Apple is claiming a right to block any commercial use of the output of their app outside their store...

The difference is that you have to purchase Acrobat Pro, Microsoft Office, and InDesign. If Apple charged for the content creation software, then it would be wrong for them also to limit the distribution of the created content.

Tom
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

The difference is that you have to purchase Acrobat Pro, Microsoft Office, and InDesign. If Apple charged for the content creation software, then it would be wrong for them also to limit the distribution of the created content.

And that's even moot, since Apple isn't limiting the distribution of the content.